Author Topic: On average how often do you all normally replace your rollers?  (Read 10606 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Just wondered how long you guys run rollers before they begin to get flat spots on them?

Seems mine only last about 8-10 weeks then i begin getting flat spots on them. I tried various makes and weights and most last around the same time before i need to replace them. I normally ride 18-20 miles per day, 5 days per week to work and back and if its dry i will usually nip about locally at weekends too so i reckon i get around 900-1100 miles from a set, does this tally up with what other are getting?

I am running a modded Agility 50cc so i run at high rpms almost always which will wear them down quicker i know, just wondered how others do on their rollers.

What brand do you find last longest if any? I found when i 1st opened up the variator the stock rollers in there seemed to be of a harder tyle of plastic than i have seen since and where more of an off-white/yellow colour but i have no idea what brand they are, they do look as tho they would last longer tho than any i have used since, just a pity theyre too heavy for my set-up now  :(

Im running 1.4g lighter rollers than my stock right now but may go back up to 1g lighter, regardless tho they still last around the same time/distance.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
Re: On average how often do you all normally replace your rollers?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
I have changed OEMs on A125 and P250 after 15.000 kms and they were still good, probably for 5-10.000 more kms.

Now I use Chinese cheap crap rollers (tm) from ebay, 7.000 kms on People and probably something like that on Agility, everything fine.

Dr. Pulley sliders got stuck after 900 kms in Agility's vario so I have removed them.

My 2 stroke scooters used to eat rollers much more. For example, Piaggio NRG 50, probably something like 5-6.000 kms.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »
I have changed OEMs on A125 and P250 after 15.000 kms and they were still good, probably for 5-10.000 more kms.

Now I use Chinese cheap crap rollers (tm) from ebay, 7.000 kms on People and probably something like that on Agility, everything fine.

Dr. Pulley sliders got stuck after 900 kms in Agility's vario so I have removed them.

My 2 stroke scooters used to eat rollers much more. For example, Piaggio NRG 50, probably something like 5-6.000 kms.

Hmmm, interesting Axy. Take it your scoots were pretty much stock? I can only dream of getting that type of milage/kilometerage (is that even a word?).

I never buy cheapo rollers, only use brand name ones but i have still to find a make which will last more than a few months at most ???

Think as im running at higher rpms it acts more like a 2t on them and is wearing them a lot quicker. Was tempted to try sliders but i grudge paying so much for them and since i know now which roller weights work well in my set-up i really dont want to go thro a lkt kf trial, error and expense buying sliders that may or may not be the correct weight to achieve similair performance. Many folk say go a gramme lighter if going to sliders from rollers but i dont know, i never tried them.

I saw today my variator had a little (minimal) wear on the roller guides, where the side of the roller rubs due to the centrifugal force as it the variator spins. I smoothed it back down with a dremmel today to see if that helps any so time will tell.

Just feels most "performance" brandname rollers have softer plastic that wear quicker. May be worth trying some no name ones to see if they have harder plastic.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
If you change your mind on the  Dr. Pulley sliders, I replaced the 15 g OEM rollers on my People 150 with 13 g sliders and they performed very similar.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »
..malossi rollers are hard to beat for longevity..

..i do prefer sliders to rollers...they conform better to the ramp profile, and tend to last longer...

..they also offer a different acceleration profile...quicker, on most scoots, if dialed in right...

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 11:15:22 PM »
Here I come again putting my mechanical knowledge on display.  I have about 2500 miles on my Yager.  By your conversation, I should have replaced mine a while ago.  What are we talking about here?  What are rollers.  Should I be concerned?   :-[

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 11:21:40 PM »
..the yager, and most all larger cc engines don't wear rollers like the "tuned" 50cc scoots...

..we burn them up!!!

;D

..if you start to notice a top speed decrease after 10,000-15,000 kms, rollers would be a good place to start looking..

..but do keep in mind that these cvt parts do wear out and must be replaced!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:25:13 PM by wordslinger »

slugrocket rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »
I have over 15,000 miles on my People s200... still running the original rollers and belt. I orderd these parts a long time ago but never found the time.
Scoot-on!

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:30:22 PM »
If you change your mind on the  Dr. Pulley sliders, I replaced the 15 g OEM rollers on my People 150 with 13 g sliders and they performed very similar.

By those figures i reckon using % i can use 4.5g sliders then? I may end up ordering a set of 5g 1st to try out when i got spare cash next.

Fshfndr, i would expect you are fine, my scoot is tuned and modded so runs a lot higher rpm than stock so will wear down parts much quicker than if it was stock, as i guess your is.

When the rollers go flat you will gradually notice a slowing of acceleration, responsiveness and even top speed too over weeks or months. When i got my scoot it was 3yrs old and 100% stock and still restricted, the previous owner was a woman who had it serviced once a yr at a dealers. It was due a service when i got it but when i did it the rollers where still fine even tho it had been a full year since a service.

If it runs good as it ways has then dont worry, you prob got plenty of life in them yet.

...........and Word posts as im typing all of the above and beats me to it. Lol  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
..on my 08 agility, that i rode out from the dealer..my belt broke at 32,000kms...

..my rollers were so much dust and chunks...

..it's after that i found this forum...

;)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 11:32:26 PM »
..btw, kymco oem rollers are next to indestructible...

..they last longer than any aftermarket i've found...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:17 PM »
...here's a pic...

..fffuuglyyyy!!...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 12:02:23 AM »
...here's a pic...

..fffuuglyyyy!!...

Those look exactly like the kind were in the variator when i bought the scoot. Had about 7000km on it then so i bet they were the OEM factory fitted stock ones from new that had never been changed. I still have them in my garage and they have zero flat spots.

If i could get some of them at 5.5g then i would be well happy, no idea what make/brand they are tho? Kymco i guess? Or do you reckon Kymco buy them in off an outside manufacurer for their new scoots? Wish i could find a set of them new at the 5.5g's.   :-\
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Dagger75

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
     BTW Streido, I think you did the Roller --> Slider conversion wrong...you generally want Sliders that are about 1 gram Heavier than your Current rollers.  So if you use 5g rollers you would buy 6g sliders.  Quality sliders usually last Much longer then rollers so may be worth a shot and I too like the Acceleration curve on Sliders better.  Goodluck to ya

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 02:27:22 AM »
In OEM type machines I have always said to change rollers/ belt at one year intervalls. Malossi is the BEST roller I have used. They barely wear even after a full year of every day riding. CHEAP ROLLERS SUCK MONKEY WIND! They will flatten in a few weeks. I currently have Jasil (top racing) rollers, and after a few hundred miles they have no sign of wear.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()