Author Topic: Life's lessons  (Read 2908 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Life's lessons
« on: August 11, 2012, 02:30:59 AM »
Just want to share with you guys....

August 7, 2012 afternoon - It's been raining hard for almost 2 weeks and all of the metropolis is flooded, river level near our home rising and rising.  I told my wife that I will bring the kids to my brothers house for the meantime and I'll come back.  Upon reaching my brother's house, she called and told me not to go back because the water is already knee deep outside. After a while, she called again and reported that the water is already in the house. And again called when the water rose further. I told her to switch off the main circuit breaker take the dogs upstairs and save her cellphone battery for further emergencies. Water and mud rose further and got my other car. Earlier, I parked my scoot at a gas station far from us.

August 8, 2012 - Wife called in the morning and reported that water is still high and I can't go back yet. Around 6 a.m., she called and said I can come back. She and our house help started cleaning the mud. I went home and helped with the cleaning while leaving the kids in my brother's. Around 7 pm, I rained very hard again. I was very worried again and told my wife to grab some things and evacuate (again) We left in a hurry, locked the house, and unleashed the dogs.  Now, all of us are in my brother's house. Little did we know that this second flood is higher than the other day. We were so depressed when we heard from the news about this and thought of the three dogs. Several of our pets had died in the 2009 flood, and now, this...

August 9, 2012 - We can see some sun now. We packed and went home. To our surprise, the three dogs are alive!!!! Thank God. Well, that made me smile... We again started cleaning, and... well the rest is history....

Here's what I'm gonna share.....

When we were at my brothers house, my best friend texted me and comforted me and offered prayers.
At that point, I looked at my brother and told him "I'm a very lucky person.... My problems will end in a few days but Cedric's problem will not.....  (Cedric, my best friend, is suffering from stage 3 liver cancer and has been in the hospital for weeks) 

Sometimes, you need to count your blessings in life...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Life's lessons
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:45:45 AM »
All day every day. Sorry for Cedric... Glad you have your dogs, and your family.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
I always say if it's not the end of the world, you can beat it. You'll get through this Vivo. Glad to hear your dogs are fine.
Do you have flood insurance?

-Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
What they said. I cannot add or say it better.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »
We love ya Vivo!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 07:25:10 PM »
When facing Hell and high water, save only the important things.

Your kids, your old lady, and your Super 8.

Well done Vivos, you The Man!
Albuquerque, New Mexico

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 08:15:55 PM »
When facing Hell and high water, save only the important things.Your kids, your old lady, and your Super 8.

Tho not neccessarilly in that order  :D

......just sayin.

You could just build a supervillan underground lair.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
Thankful you are able to transmit this. Good thoughts to Cedric, may his pain be bearable.
sans scooter, rien

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 12:19:17 AM »
Vivo,

My heart goes out to you and the family. Let me ask you, do you have any large trees on your property that you might be able to build a "Tree house" in? If so and depending on the size of the tree you could build a shelter with food and water to house the dogs during such emergencies. If it's a real nice tree house you could even stay there yourself if the problem is suspected to be short lived.

As for your friend, he'll need all the love and kind words he can get during this time of great hardship.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 12:58:37 AM »
That big tree washed away 3 floods ago. Maybe time to relocate. When I was 11 or 12 we had a flood that locked us on the second floor for maybe 20 hours. We moved in a month. It was one of those engineered creeks to relieve Waldorf Marylands storm run off. 6' over the banks.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:08:10 AM »
Sometimes, you need to count your blessings in life...

Well said Vivo  :)

Sorry about your troubles man
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »
Thank you guys! luv ya all!!!

@ScooterWolf, No Sir, no flood insurance. All natural calamities are not covered by insurance companies here, only fire, theft, and other form of damages caused by man.

@080, Yes, but we only have short trees and not a good idea to build a tree house

@ce and streido,  In this order actually... I saved my kids first, scooter second, wife third...

@zombie, we're thinking of relocating but it's not that simple. We're still paying for this house and .... you know how it is....

@ Karl, Wassoni, Peters  ;) 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 01:12:56 AM »
..i have 2 blessings...my 2 daughters..

..other than that..screw it...dont need it...

:-\

..well, except for nina...definately blessed with nina...

:-*
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 04:57:50 AM »
Don't forget your paddle ball paddle, and your favorite lamp! Maybe that nice chair too but that's really it.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
 ;)

Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()