Author Topic: Wireing  (Read 5937 times)

blue

• View Profile
Wireing
« on: August 13, 2012, 10:47:21 PM »
who can tell me why the wireing comeing from the battery to the elc. start gets way to hot and the scoot wont start. (wtf) its got to be somethong in the wireing some wear.is there a relay that might needs replaced.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Wireing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »
..it's because the starter motor is not meant to be run for a long time without cooling down..

..the wiring is probably the weakest link in the circuit, and will get hot due to the excessive amp draw created my the starter working so hard...

..they are powerful little electric motors, that along with the gearing ratio of the bendix, are able to turn those 4t engines fast enough to get the firing sequence in time...

..unfortunately, kymco uses slower, yet larger diameter starter motors on their 4t's than they do on their 2t engines..

..have never quite understood that, but itsa true story!!

..the people and super9 starters turn up waay faster than any 4t starter motor i've ever had...

..blue, find you a 2t starter motor, and all your starting troubles might go away...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:39:55 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:05:52 AM »
well said. thanks for makeing that point to me.
understand that.Guess my old starter is burnd out.
man I got to save some coin to get this thing fixed.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:08:15 AM »
..mattern of fact, i got a starter motor on the way from stadium yamaha...

..should be here day after 2moro....

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 02:00:18 AM »
Mine is working funny. I took it of the scoot and hooked it up to the battery and it worked just fine.But when back on the scoot it well not work................the wires going to it gets hot .and it stopes working.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 08:08:09 AM »
Well blue the fact that you hooked it up away from the scoot and it worked fine tell me you have a bad wiring harness or fault in the wiring somewhere on the scoot. You would have to trace, disconnect and meter out every single wire to find it because simply replacing the motor would not work for you i domt think. If its working out the scoot fine then it is fine and the problem is the wiring. Something must have shorted out or be down to earth somewhere in your electrics.

Havent you got a lot of home-made mods all over that scoot for differemt issues youve had in the past? Im sure ive read soke of your posts in the past where youve said you got wires ran in for different stuff and things by-passed here and there? I would check all that 1st.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »
Just to be sure blue, did the wiring get hot when you connected it to the battery or not? If it did then i would say starter is gone or going, if it didnt then i guess the starter is fine and it is the scoot wiring itself.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:23:35 AM »
Also there is a relay but i would think if that was sticking on then you would hear the scoot try to keep cranking over even after it started? Could be worth a look tho, think it would be cheap to buy, they look something like this.......

http://www.motoproject.it/catalog/STARTER-relay-KYMCO-AGILITY-50-R16-2008-2009-2010-2011
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
as streido said, in the past found that if you ues scoth block conecters sometimes have problems always better cutting wire then solder and heat shrink over them. id check the loom first .

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »
any wireing I did to the scoot came straight from the battery.
I try not to touch to much of that stuff because I would rather be safe then sorry.

But it looks like I have to learn because Ill be rewireing the wireing comeing from the battery to the starter.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 02:26:54 AM »
ok guys help me out I have friday off of work and I want to get my scoot running. it kick starts fine.
the elc. starter works but for some reason when its on the scoot it well not turn it over. could it be because I dont have the rubber seal on the kick start cover and because I shaved the boss down a Little the bendix is not lineing up right and the elc, starte over heats. or is it a short in the wireing.
let me know what I should be looking for.I know I can fix this just need some help.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 02:32:58 AM »
could it be because I dont have the rubber seal on the kick start cover

..YES!!!!...it could very well be!!!

..also make sure you have the steel bushing for the starter bendix's pin to fit into, in the cvt cover...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:34:48 AM by wordslinger »

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 02:41:34 AM »
Starter motors draw lots of current. And, like word said they are not meant to be ran constantly. Not more than maybe 8-10 seconds. General rule of thumb is you let it rest just as much as it ran. 50/50. There is a word for this... I can't remember right now  :-\... Got it! Duty cycle  ;D

The motor ran off the scooter fine because it had no mechanical resistance. When it's turning the engine over it draws much more current. As the wire gets hotter the electrical resistance goes though the roof. Meaning less power. Why this is happening I don't know. Nicked wire or loose/corroded connection is the likely culprit.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 02:42:07 AM »
could it be because I dont have the rubber seal on the kick start cover

..YES!!!!...it could very well be!!!

..also make sure you have the steel bushing for the starter bendix's pin to fit into, in the cvt cover...

Or that... The motor could be trying to work too hard because of those two things
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:43:44 AM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 02:44:58 AM »
You would think it would sound different though. Does it sound different blue? Slower or bogging down. Or even grinding.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()