Author Topic: help  (Read 2328 times)

skippy

• View Profile
help
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
just been to a shop that they say does all parts for chinese bikes. what a joke. they have nothing.
 i have a tiney leak of oil out of the Transmission Belt Cover. the gasket has worped and is dissfigered. so thought id replace it.
they told me there should never be any oil in there. its only a bit like if you wipe your finger under the clutch side. and its a serviceable item that i dont need it and throw it away. is this true? i would have thought i would need this to keep crap out. does anyone have any oil in the cover  as well or is it a oil seal going?

blue

• View Profile
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »
That would be the seal and yes it needs replaced.
sounds like your gear oil is leaking in behind your clutch.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »
thanks blue is it easy to change? how do i do this?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »
..skippy, do not throw that seal away, if it's not in place, your cover will most likely rub the clutch bell / nut, and the starter bendix won't act right.

..above the cvt cover, there is a plastic tube that collects oil / fuel condensate from the airbox..it should have a plug in the end, and yu need to drain it from time to time..

..if the cvt gasket is warped or damaged, it's possible the the fluid you see is coming from that tube......

..if you indeed do have oil inside the cvt, then you really might have bigger problems...check crankcase shaft seal and transmission shaft seal...look for an oil trail running down from the bearing / seal..

..as far as the cvt cover's gasket, i used some black rtv sealant to stick the gasket to the cvt cover...works great!!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:46:03 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
i ordered a new gasket this morning for the case. so will put a new one on.
 when i first got the bike i noticed a little oil when i de restricted it but thought that a little would be normal.
 think now i have not checked trnsmition fluid. ill take clutch out later and have a look if the seal has gone will order one then change all fluids.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »
I used to get a little oily fluid in mine too but it stopped ages ago. Im sure it came from my clutch/rear pulley/torque drive, think the previous owner mustve oiled it in the past or something  ::). Anyway i cleaned it all up when i 1st serviced it and its been fine since. Do what Word says tho and just check theres no leak where the crank comes out the engine into the case ( shaft where the variator goes on). Give it a good clean out and re-check it in a few days to see if its come back, if not forget about it.

My seal is a little warped and tbh it isnt airtight but it still works fine and keeps the spacing right for the starter and kickstart etc. If its still useable just stick it on the the back section of the case using gasket sealer or mastic to hold it in place and it should be fine.

And drain that clear tube Word mentioned, i do mine every few months....just reminded me to check mine tonight now  :)

You typed an answer just as i was posting  :D

Yeah just check the both shaft seals, crank and rear pulley.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »
got it apart. there is a dry black stuff everwhere think that may just be belt dust though. there seems to be a little oil on the crank seal. so think that may need a change .
 is this just a cut old out job clean up then a new seal pressed in with an over sized socket?

also i cant crack off the clutch bell bolt is ther a way to do this? tryed brake on still turns so then a broom in the wheel spoke but still will not crack open.

will clean up inside grime but want to see behind clutch

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
Yup, that's belt dust

If it's a bad seal you should see it running down inside that cover

Harbor Freight impact wrench. $40. Not too much power. You don't want to break off the shaft. Works great for both pulleys.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 07:13:48 AM »
An impact is easiest. I pull the seals out with an Ice Pick type tool. You will see on one side of the seal there are 3 numbers. One is the OD of the seal one is the ID , and the last is the width. I also clean the case with carb clean on a rag, and glue in the new seal with rubber cement. A big socket works. the wet cement makes the seal slide right in. Dries in about an hour.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 07:15:40 AM »
I forgot to say you can get the seals at an auto parts for about 3 bucks. I'd do all four main seals at once. (2 trans/2 crank)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »
thats fantastic zombie. hoped it would be fairly easy like that and not an engine strip.
 live in uk but will find places over hear.
 when i striped down the other day found above the crank behind the veriator a brass plug with a hex style fixing, some thing has gone wrong befor because there is metal putty all over it and the casing so looks like there may be a crack under it. dont know why. think leak my be from there as cleaned inside. checked yesterday and there was a little oil inside and the putty was a little glossey like oil on it. the crank seal looked dry. will check in a fue days. orded a second hand gasket for clutc case.as could not find one in the uk.the leak could still be behind the clutch. will check whe i get an impact wrench.
strange as the a50 only done 11500 km and on 2010. still gives me a reason to play

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »
That plug was most likely overtightened, and cracked the case. I would Dremel out the repair, and clean it all with carb clean, and acetone. After that some JB weld will fix it. CLEAN is the key to a permanent repair.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
tryed that yesterday. was a big hole under .it looks like someone tryed to open it with hammer and driver but sliped.
 still leaking. cant find the leak, its coming fron the variaitor side though. its not the crank seal either.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:41:35 PM »
You may have to just ride it to trace the source of the leak. Get it squeaky clean so you can find it easier. Usually it is the rear seal on the input shaft.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
hope i do find it its getting me down now. only problem is a used brake and clutch cleaner. sanded down,cleaned it all off re puttyed it. but changed the oil and clutch fluid the oter day. with out thinking. so oil that is leaking is clear so its making it harder to trace. doh
i can tell that its behind the variaitor so that tells me its that end and not the clutch.(dont think if it was clutch end it would fling up to the crank shaft side)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()