Author Topic: Picked up my new 500 today  (Read 3525 times)

Oldscoot

• View Profile
Picked up my new 500 today
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »
I'm now a two Kymco family - a 500Ri ABS in pewter and a black 300 GTi.  I like the older single headlight style and my dealer told me it was the last 500 ABS in Kymco's warehouse.  The manufacture date in 3/12.  I look forward to exchanging  stories and information.     

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Picked up my new 500 today
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:18:53 AM »
Yay!

Comparisons after a while would be fun.

Congrats!
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »
Good Luck with your new scoot Oldscoot. I have the single headlight also but not ABS. I've had a great deal of fun with it this summer so far.

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
I really like mine.  Since Feb I've but close to 8k miles on it.  Just can't stay off the sucker.. :)

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:47:53 PM »
Glad to hear you finally steped up to a REAL mans bike, the X500. Sell your 300 before people start calling you a SISSY MARY! ;) :D ;D :) :o ::) :P :-*

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
Cool. Cant wait to ride with another 500 since becky doesnt ride hers anymore.

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 12:08:34 PM »
Yay!

Comparisons after a while would be fun.

Congrats!

Thanks Cortez.

My first impression is WOW!  The 500 does not feel at all like a 300 with an extra 200cc.   It's a whole different world. As you know with your DT 300 the engine winds in a rapid, tight, vibration-free climb.  My 500 reminds me of one my older shovel-head Harleys or a BSA 441. From a standing start when you give her gas there's a little bit of initial low vibration and thumping and after that the torque kicks in and the bikes moves slowly and then boom - off she goes to the races.  While the 500's look (which IMHO is equal to the T-Max in the looks department) makes her look like a sport bike - her engine is more  thumper like. I like the controlled feeling of the engine instead of blasting off like on a crotch rocket.  We've had a lot of rain lately and I'm still putting on as many miles as I can to help seat the engine in a bit.  I already have confidence in the bike and I am very happy with my purchase. The difference in the bikes also makes riding the GT 300 more fun since there is little similarity with the ride.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:38:16 PM by Oldscoot »

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »
Cool. Cant wait to ride with another 500 since becky doesnt ride hers anymore.

Becky's 500, "Priscilla", was having repairs made and I think she'ld be riding it again.

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
when shes ready, we'll make the kids here jealous and take pics of our 500's.

looks? no way equal. haha

when youre ready to take it on the highway, there will be no more thumping. its pretty smooth aa silk. uh kinda really.

quiet too. consider getting givi screen and cut it so it wont look too silly!

So...austin?

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »
Congratulations Oldscoot.
Give a run down after you get her broken in.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 12:31:50 AM »
oldscoot, I like my unit more each time I go out. Whats better yet, each time I go out, I feel better about riding it but I don't ever want to think that I am better than the bike. I have the white unit and riding with the silver helmet, Hi-Rez shirt or vest, it almost looks like the white units that ran with the runners at the Olympics!! I believe they are using BMW's though. I see Tour Master has a Hi-Rez jacket out that is supposedly really special. I don't have the 200 some bucks right now but I'd sure like to own one. I have a white and black aired and padded jacket which is good but I am always looking. Hope you are enjoying your new ride oldscoot...too bad was are not neighbors to ride together a bit. Again I am N.E. of Pittsburgh, PA USA about 23 miles. Still have the problem of not many scooters out on the road here but I'll say one thing I noticed for sure, Many more bikers are using Hi-Rez gear since I started about a year ago. Of course mywife and I own a Green (Alien) KIA Soul and when we purchased ours, noone around had them...now I am seeing them all over!. Further, I've been using the high pressure wash place on my wheels and lower part of the scooter and haven't had a problem in doing this yet. I finalize with the No Spot Spray all over the bike and again, no problems there either. Been using the Honds Clean and Wax spray can and it is coming out really well all over.

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 02:39:22 PM »
Syl - I have fond memories of your part of the country. I attended the University of Pittsburgh in the mid-sixties when steel was still king.  I married my wife (now of 44 years) in the Heinz Chapel off of 5th Avenue.  The 500 is a fairly large machine (for a scooter at least) and it commands the rider's respect.  I consider the break in period to be both for the bike's and the rider's benefit.  I see great adventures ahead on this machine.  I wear a red/black Tour Master air flow in warmer weather and a black/yellow Joe Rocket "Old School" in colder weather.  I believe there is a wisdom to the high viz design and may get one for my next jacket.  So far I am absolutely happy with the bike.  I've got a Givi V46 waiting to mount and the brackets should be in Friday.  I ordered an Ermax standard screen in black/clear gray this last Monday from Silverstone Motors in France. It's being shipped already. I've put on Grab-On grip covers and have ordered Jettin heavy weight bar ends.  They're actually made for Vespas and I drill them out to accomodate Kymco's 8mm bolt and use an 8X2.5X100mm stainless hex head bolt. They provide both increased stability and a cool grove in the middle for a tie down strap.             

boo

• View Profile
question or two if I may ?
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
Oldscoot, was the GT not powerful enough?.

What do you think about the weight differences between the 300 and 500?.

Can you give a detailed comparison of the two when time allows?.

I was seriously considering a GT300. Now you have me wondering.
300GTI black

Oldscoot

• View Profile
Re: question or two if I may ?
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 09:24:40 PM »
Oldscoot, was the GT not powerful enough?.

What do you think about the weight differences between the 300 and 500?.

Can you give a detailed comparison of the two when time allows?.

I was seriously considering a GT300. Now you have me wondering.

Boo - some quick answers. Most importantly I am keeping the GTi 300. I love that bike - it's a great bike and does it all.  I bought the 500 for long distance touring. I belong to several groups - one that buzzes the urban environs of Houston touching down lightly on various pubs - the GTi is perfect for this riding.  The other group is largely maxi-scooter riders who think nothing of jumping on their Burgmans, Kymcos, Yamahas, (Harleys too), etc. and putting on a couple of hundred miles at a clip or riding off into the sunset. The 500 is for this group.  The 300 will do long trips and I did a 550 mile one on it last Spring.  The 500 will do that trip with much more comfort.  On the other hand the 500 is far less nimble for playing automobile tag in heavy traffic.  There is 120 lbs difference in weight and several inches in wheelbase. 

I don't objectively know which is faster and their horsepower/weight ratio is about the same - I feel the 500 might be a little faster in the mid operating range.   

I'm very lucky to be able to have both. 

All things being equal the GTi 300 is more versatile.

boo

• View Profile
Re: question or two if I may ?
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 09:43:40 PM »

Boo - some quick answers. Most importantly I am keeping the GTi 300. I love that bike - it's a great bike and does it all.  I bought the 500 for long distance touring. I belong to several groups - one that buzzes the urban environs of Houston touching down lightly on various pubs - the GTi is perfect for this riding.  The other group is largely maxi-scooter riders who think nothing of jumping on their Burgmans, Kymcos, Yamahas, (Harleys too), etc. and putting on a couple of hundred miles at a clip or riding off into the sunset. The 500 is for this group.  The 300 will do long trips and I did a 550 mile one on it last Spring.  The 500 will do that trip with much more comfort.  On the other hand the 500 is far less nimble for playing automobile tag in heavy traffic.  There is 120 lbs difference in weight and several inches in wheelbase. 

I don't objectively know which is faster and their horsepower/weight ratio is about the same - I feel the 500 might be a little faster in the mid operating range.   

I'm very lucky to be able to have both. 

All things being equal the GTi 300 is more versatile.

Thanks OldScoot.
I value your opinion.

300GTI black

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()