Author Topic: 33 Miles and Check Engine Light is on?  (Read 5502 times)

PrincessPat1

• View Profile
33 Miles and Check Engine Light is on?
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
 ??? Got my new Like 200i yesterday afternoon - have put about 25 miles on it (now it's a total of 33!).  Charged it last night and took it out this morning to the Farmer's Market - great fun.  Went out early this evening to get gas.  Filled the tank, stopped at Walgreens, and then came home.  As I was turning the scooter around in the garage (slowly and easily) just as I turned around the check engine light came on.  I shut the scooter off and tried to restart - nothing.  Plugged it in for a few minutes and went inside to get my husband who asked if I put the gas cap on correctly.  I checked the cap, unplugged the battery, and vrooommm the scooter started right up.  I rode it out into the driveway and shut it down so I could put on my helmet and go take it for a quick ride just to see if the check engine light came on.  Well, got back on and low and behold tried to start it back up and nothing - it was dead and the check engine light was back on.  Could this just be a bad battery?  I'm so discouraged at this point - I can't believe the battery has so little life but not sure what else to think.

axy

• View Profile
Re: 33 Miles and Check Engine Light is on?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:52:21 AM »
??? Got my new Like 200i yesterday afternoon - have put about 25 miles on it (now it's a total of 33!).  Charged it last night and took it out this morning to the Farmer's Market - great fun.  Went out early this evening to get gas.  Filled the tank, stopped at Walgreens, and then came home.  As I was turning the scooter around in the garage (slowly and easily) just as I turned around the check engine light came on.  I shut the scooter off and tried to restart - nothing.  Plugged it in for a few minutes and went inside to get my husband who asked if I put the gas cap on correctly.  I checked the cap, unplugged the battery, and vrooommm the scooter started right up.  I rode it out into the driveway and shut it down so I could put on my helmet and go take it for a quick ride just to see if the check engine light came on.  Well, got back on and low and behold tried to start it back up and nothing - it was dead and the check engine light was back on.  Could this just be a bad battery?  I'm so discouraged at this point - I can't believe the battery has so little life but not sure what else to think.

Faulty ECU or some of the sensors.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
I don't understand why your battery needs charging (unless it is defective).  Once the battery has the acid added to it, it is good to go. When I picked up my new Like, the dealer added the acid to the battery (along with the regular prep of the scooter) and I rode it 52 miles home. I have never had to charge my battery and I am at 1,040 miles now.  The only time you should ever need to use a charger or battery tender is if you will not be riding for an extended period of time.

Take it back to your dealer and let them diagnose the issue.  As with any brand or product, there is always the chance of a problem but that is what the warranty is for.

2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

PrincessPat1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 02:01:58 AM »
I got home tonight and it started right up with no Check Engine light.  It is running rough - the dealer told me it did not matter what type of unleaded gas I put in, so I put in 87 octane.  Wonder if I either over-filled it and that's why the light came on?  Also, it now seems to be running a little rough - could that be it, too?  Or gas should have been 91 octane?

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:46:02 AM »
Pat,  My Like now has about 500 miles on it and has had no issues so far. My dealer suggested 91/92 octane and if available non- ethanol premium. The scoot runs smoothly and starts first time every time.  ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
You may have gotten some bad gas, and your dealer is flat out wrong about using any unleaded gas. The manual says to use Premium fuel only, so use it. If you do not have ethanol free fuel in your area, add a splash of Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment at each fill up. You can get this at almost any auto parts store and most Walmart stores.  Add some Sta-Bil to the fuel you have in there now and run it on out (or siphon it out if you think it is bad). Fill up with Premium from now on, not 87 or 89 octane.  Personally, I try to only use branded gasoline such as Chevron or Texaco. If I am in a bind, I will get unbranded gas.

Over filling is a possibility. Look inside your gas tank and you will see a little bar. Never fill above that bar as to avoid possible overfilling issues.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
I don't understand why your battery needs charging (unless it is defective).  Once the battery has the acid added to it, it is good to go. When I picked up my new Like, the dealer added the acid to the battery (along with the regular prep of the scooter) and I rode it 52 miles home. I have never had to charge my battery and I am at 1,040 miles now.  The only time you should ever need to use a charger or battery tender is if you will not be riding for an extended period of time.

Take it back to your dealer and let them diagnose the issue.  As with any brand or product, there is always the chance of a problem but that is what the warranty is for.

I disagree on the battery tender comment. I've been using a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. on all of my scooters & motorcycles for over 15 years now. Keeping your battery on a "float" charge extends the life of the battery, no question. Hell...I got over six years out a battery with it being on a float charge. Rig-up a pigtail & keep it charged @ all times.  
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Lucasan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
hmm what would I need to get for that MassScoot? Looking for any ways to maintain our new ride. Also, are you in MA? I moved from Cambridge almost 3 years ago. Still miss it!

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »
hmm what would I need to get for that MassScoot? Looking for any ways to maintain our new ride. Also, are you in MA? I moved from Cambridge almost 3 years ago. Still miss it!

Yes...We live in Gloucester. Cambridge? A decent amount of scoots there! We are having a really great summer up here.

It's call a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. It can be had for under $25.00

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345799393&sr=8-1&keywords=deltran+battery+tender+jr.

I highly recommend one.

Good Luck!

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »
I disagree on the battery tender comment. I've been using a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. on all of my scooters & motorcycles for over 15 years now. Keeping your battery on a "float" charge extends the life of the battery, no question. Hell...I got over six years out a battery with it being on a float charge. Rig-up a pigtail & keep it charged @ all times.  

While a tender left on all the time may extend overall battery life, it is by no means necessary.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 05:50:54 PM »
If you have a cigarette type receptacle just plug the charger into it.  Pigtails are OK but the receptacle is much more convenient.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:29:11 PM »
While a tender left on all the time may extend overall battery life, it is by no means necessary.

Unless you live in state that is warm all the time (not...me!) Anyway....Keeping your scoot battery on a float "will" not "may" extend the life of the battery. In the Winter months it's a MUST! Plus...Takes 10 minutes to install to any scooter & it's a inexpensive $25.00 investment. Hell....I'll spend that @ my local pub within the fist hour!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:31:18 PM by MassScoot »

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »
I have a 2012 Like 200i and I use the ring attachment and let it hang out the bottom of the scooter near the side kickstand. That way it takes less than a minute to connect up the tender. With the tender the battery is always in the ready.

My brother and I have used battery tenders for years for motorcycles, trailers and now scooters. They really help to maximize battery life and performance.

I use premium (91 RON) in my tank. I just bought the Sta Bil for added assurance. I ran regular unleaded the first tankful, but noticed the engine ran a bit smoother when I switched to premium. 

Can't help you with the engine light/rough running issue. Take it to your dealer.

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:56:22 PM »
Unless you live in state that is warm all the time (not...me!) Anyway....Keeping your scoot battery on a float "will" not "may" extend the life of the battery. In the Winter months it's a MUST! Plus...Takes 10 minutes to install to any scooter & it's a inexpensive $25.00 investment. Hell....I'll spend that @ my local pub within the fist hour!

Read my original comment again.  I said it is good IF you will not be riding for an extended period of time. I use one in the winter as I do not ride when it is cold, from about November through March. Other than that, I have never hooked up a battery tender and have never had battery problems either. If it makes someone feel better, by all means hook one up every day.

Lucasan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 08:49:29 AM »
Which  version of the battery tender would you guys get? The 12v or 6v?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()