Author Topic: Helmet law  (Read 7800 times)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet law
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 04:02:47 AM »
This thread has gone (snack-snack-crunch-crunch) a little off track..  :)  Now please excuse me while I return to my huge Big Mac with fries and 6 liter Coke.. 
:D :D :D

If they (government/authorities) decide that you MUST wear a helmet because it's safer, what is to keep them from outlawing scooters/cycles once we reach the point that cars are just as economical and deciding that you MUST ride in an enclosed vehicle because it's safer?

I agree. Cars are already more economical than motorcycles/scooters as far as exhaust pollution goes. The exhaust pollution levels are much higher with motorcycles/scooters.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
Gas milage is better on most scooters, and 2 strokes tend to pollute more than 4. Riding a car or scooter is not a right, but a privilege. You are licensed by the state to operate a vehicle. Because the state issues the license they are some what responsible for insuring the safety of their licensed riders, that's why there are mandatory seatbelt laws, and because they save lives. They same is true for helmets.

I have no illusions that once I throw my leg over the seat of my bike I'm willfully engaged in something dangerous, many more times than driving a car. There are no seat-belts or air bags. It's even more dangerous -- in terms of limiting injury, if you don't wear a helmet. That's why I took a safety class, surf riding forums and want to have the Roadcraft category added to this site.

Their may be upgrades to motorcycle and scooter engines to lower their emissions, and who knows all vehicles may eventually go electrical in the future. What you're suggesting is pretty doubtful -- the government banning scooters because of their emission standards or lack of safety. Scooters are more numerous in Europe and Asian than in the US and there isn't a move to ban them there.

-Wolf

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 01:17:46 AM »
Yes! once you've experienced a bad accident, you'll never forget to wear a helmet... I ALWAYS wear my helmet not because of the law but because I want to protect my head. Period.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2012, 11:57:54 PM »
There are 2 scratches on my helmet.  I never clean them off.  And it was a 2 mph fall.

Richard L.   ;D
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
The road is a harsh teacher. Glad to hear the helmet bears the scar.

-Wolf

jerrydwelsh

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 02:48:55 AM »
W#hen I started riding scooters back in 56 I think, I was always told to wear a helmet. 54 years later I was checking out my ET4 for a trip from Utah to TN to see my brother. To check the load I road around the block and the scoot was handling great. I was near the highway and was thinking that I should go back to get my helmet. But I said to myself is just a short ways down the road and come back home. At 55mph the scoot ran great and as I was coming home I lost control of my scooter. I was told at the hospital after I came to 7 hours later and surgery that I should be dead.
The left cheek bones are replaced with steel plates. My eye was removed to clean the rocks behind it and then replaced. took two weeks before the eye began to open. Now I am home with every bone in my body hurting and don't forgrt about the head aches that keep you awake at night.
No trip for me this year. I will always have reminder to wear my helmet. I was only 1/4 miles from my house.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 03:01:33 AM »
Damn! It's good you're fine man.... Just curious tho, how'd you lost control? slipped? a road debris?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 08:13:28 AM »
Ouch Jerry  :o

Glad youre ok man. At least you made it thro and hopefully you'll be back in the saddle soon, take care :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
Sorry about the fall, glad they were able to put you back together.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »
2 Wheelers have the best crash stories! Glad to hear you're all right, Jerry. I'm going to remember that one.

Over the weekend my wife and I went to North East PA for my Goddaughter's 7th Birthday. A motorcycle rider and passengers were hit and killed in Scranton, PA by a hit and run driver who was later captured. The news never mentioned if they were wearing helmets or not.
Since PA doesn't have a helmet law, I wondered if they were wearing head gear and if it would have made a difference. Always sad to hear something so tragic, especially since the driver of the car had several warrants out against him for drug possession.

-Wolf

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »
I wear a helmet most of the time but not always. I know how bad it can be but I want the choice to be my own. South Carolina is a strong pro-helmet choice state. Most people around the coast rarely wear a helmet. It's funny that I would never ride my Mt. Bike without one but in the summer I go out on my scoot or motorcycle without.  It's not uncommon to see girls in 2 piece bathing suits with flip-flops on riding big Harleys up and down the highways.

This is the averaged way most people in SC dress for a ride.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »
The road's a harsh teacher. Ride safe, and I hope nothing happens to you.

When I was 14 I crashed on my brand new 10-speed bike. This was before the age of bike helmets. Found out the hard way that my pedal had a defective weld in it. It fell off on a downstroke. I hit the pavement going down hill doing abut 30 MPH. Cracked skull, major concussion and 3rd degree roadburns on my right shoulder, elbow, knee and on all the knuckles of both hands. I still have the scars/burns to this day.

That was just from riding a 30 + pound bike. I can't imagine crashing on something that weighs as much or heavier than the rider. Heheh -- You got some crazy people down in SC  :o

-Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()