Author Topic: New tires with the GIVI windscreen--WOOT!  (Read 3320 times)

desliderman

• View Profile
New tires with the GIVI windscreen--WOOT!
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »
I want to tell you all about a real improvement I discovered.

After about 6 months or 8,000 miles, I replaced both the front and rear stock tires that came with my 500ri.  I did this a week ago.  If you see a post I made on the 22nd, there's a picture of that worn out rear tire.  very scarey indeed!

I replaced the front as well because it was cupped.  Between 60 and 70 it was a real shaker.  Not a very confidence-inspiring experience.

So, from the stock Kenda (?) tires I've gone to Michelin City Grips.  I used these on another scoot I once owned and was pleased,  but on the Kymco I am doubly-impressed.  I took the scoot on the Kansas turnpike to Topeka KS last Sunday and it was awesome. 

I don't know why the original had cupped so bad.  I always tried to remember to check my tire pressures.  Perhaps I just had a bad tire from the start.

I've reinstalled the GIVI windscreen as well.  On a ride home from Independence MO to Overland Park (about 40 miles) I couldn't stop grinning.  For me it's a good combination.

Ride safe.

Don in KC.

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: New tires with the GIVI windscreen--WOOT!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:52:51 AM »
I want to tell you all about a real improvement I discovered.

After about 6 months or 8,000 miles, I replaced both the front and rear stock tires that came with my 500ri.  I did this a week ago.  If you see a post I made on the 22nd, there's a picture of that worn out rear tire.  very scarey indeed!

I replaced the front as well because it was cupped.  Between 60 and 70 it was a real shaker.  Not a very confidence-inspiring experience.

So, from the stock Kenda (?) tires I've gone to Michelin City Grips.  I used these on another scoot I once owned and was pleased,  but on the Kymco I am doubly-impressed.  I took the scoot on the Kansas turnpike to Topeka KS last Sunday and it was awesome.  

I don't know why the original had cupped so bad.  I always tried to remember to check my tire pressures.  Perhaps I just had a bad tire from the start.

I've reinstalled the GIVI windscreen as well.  On a ride home from Independence MO to Overland Park (about 40 miles) I couldn't stop grinning.  For me it's a good combination.

Ride safe.

Don in KC.

Hi.

I changed my rear wheel as well. Was going to city grip also but dealer told that there are new tyre pure pilot from michelin. It also feels much better than old one.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New tires with the GIVI windscreen--WOOT!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »
you guys get good mileage on your tires! I m0stly get just half of your tires mileage.  my stock maxxis only lasted 10,000kms front and 6,000kms rear. I've tried metzeler, pirelli gts, diablo and shinko-will never use again even if it's priced half compared to the other brands. Now have avon on front and rear. Rear tire tread depth is 6mm, after 1,100kms down to 3.5mm
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 02:12:54 AM »
I now need new tires front and rear.  Drifter, why do you say that about the Shinko?  I'm wondering because I'm thinking of ordering Shinkos for front and rear.  Have had two on the rear now.  The mileage is not great, but I've been happy with the performance and stickiness. 

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:28:05 AM »
they're to hard and slippery. Just got home from riding the twisties here. Really like the grip of the avon tires. Was able to keep up with the gs1200 and cbr600. No chicken strips left. But i really doubt it that the rear avon will reach 5tkms

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
no chicken strips? so you are scraping centerstand?

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 04:46:06 PM »
center stand, side stand, cvt cover and bottom part of the front side fairings. Lol!

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »
Drifter.. If you don't have a name for your scooter, may I suggest Ilene.

That's pretty impressive...

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:13:13 AM »
nice!!! i'll be calling her Ilene from now on.. thanks!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »
I know people are way ahead of me and a question I failed to ask on here...where does one look to determine what sex your unit is in order to name it!!! Just a bit of humor!

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
It all depends on your riding style, if you don't know what your top speed is, and you wear a blaze orange helmet with a safety green neon vest, then you could call her Shirley.

But if it's clacking from riding at WOT all the time and the tires are bald and it leaks oil and smokes when you park it, then you can call him Mad Maxxx.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()