Author Topic: NEED CARB HELP!!!!!  (Read 5517 times)

Scooter Russ

• View Profile
NEED CARB HELP!!!!!
« on: August 27, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
Ok guys, after 8 months of tinkering with my basket case purchase 08 Agility 50. I finally got it put back together & running. Found out after all the testing I did to electrical system that CDI was bad. I've given the scoot a few updates, new paint job, L.E.D. turn signals, K&N air filter, bigger carb jet, bar end mirrors & performance CDI. Going to open up exhaust in next few days, with new muffle!

Scooter starts and idles great. The main issue with scooter is, when I'm riding scoot and try to go to full throttle, engine boggs down & doesn't want to pull itself!!!! So It's some type of carb issue. I'm Just not for sure what though.

NEED HELP PLEASE!!!! 

Thanks Russ
Drive it like you stole it! Lol......

skippy

• View Profile
Re: NEED CARB HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:25:15 PM »
sounds like with the k and n it needs re jetting, should be 90 or 95 some wher round there but every scoot is diffrent. keep trying

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »
Agree with Skippy, it sounds like a main jet problem, either too small or too large.

What size jet you got in it now?

Did you do a plug chop to see if its running rich or lean? Thats a must do in case youre running lean cos you'll melt the engine if its way lean  :o

I run a 92 and thats perfect for my scoot.

Does it always happen or just in the wet? Mine ran great till the 1st run in the wet, filter got wet and air couldnt get thro so it ran way rich and couldnt go past 3/4 throttle. If it runs fine up to 3/4 throttle its def rich or lean cos at 3/4 throttle is when the main jet kicks in.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Scooter Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »
Skippy, I rejetted carb! Couldn't find a sutible jet at time of install and carb overhaul. So I just drilled out my old jet a few sizes bigger with numbered drill bits. Could I have taken it to large & have same problem with running issue? Just putting to much fuel to engine? Instead of not enough?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
..in my experience, when the scoot seems to bog down at WOT, it's an indicaton of a rich mix...main jet too large...

..just to throw this out there, an aftermarket exhaust generally doesn't lend much to performance on a 4t scoot..

..plug chops will tell...my scoot is happy with a 101, so you see how every one IS different...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »
if you drilled out your jet how big did you drill and did you have it in a pilladrill as if by hand it will be allover the place...
best bet is to buy 3 or 4 jets try a range of 90 95 100 etc see where it getts better keep the chop changes again better results with new clean plugs. you will find when the set up is close.
 have a look in the serch section for plug chops etc to see how rich it is buy colour

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
if you drilled out your jet how big did you drill and did you have it in a pilladrill as if by hand it will be allover the place...
best bet is to buy 3 or 4 jets try a range of 90 95 100 etc see where it getts better keep the chop changes again better results with new clean plugs. you will find when the set up is close.
 have a look in the serch section for plug chops etc to see how rich it is buy colour

Youre getting good at this Skippy. You almost sound like you know what youre talking about these days  :-*
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
well what can i say.... trained by the best forum lol never wanted a bike let alone scooter. always a car bloke was stripping engines down at 17. etc but fell on hard times mx5 had to go as no point in two cars insurance etc. just an impuls to get scoot. also thought it be fun to strip and rebulid with my son, give him a good footing when he gets a scoot. but he to lazey. well now i got the scooter bug. ever trip to work now is fun.

Scooter Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
Yes Skippy I did just use a small hand needle drill. So it's quite possible I took it to large. But, I was having the same sort of issue before I cleaned carb & drilled jet out.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 08:54:28 PM »
..but what was the drill size??

..we're only talking about a few hundredths of a millimeter....

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 08:56:39 PM »
PLUG CHOPS  :)

Cant tell anything till you see if its rich or lean then you can take it from there Russ.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »
if its a older scoot I would just get a new carb and buy a few jets to try from 90 to 95.

Scooter Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »
All I can tell you guys is drill size of jet before I started was .0435 in. Drill size I took it to was .0485 in. hundredths of an inch. Haven't had a chance to pull plug & check color & see if it's rich or lean.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »
...well, that's about a 123, so its really rich, bro....

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
do the chop first but id guess if it was the same befor the rejet its too lean

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()