Author Topic: Touch-up Paint  (Read 4521 times)

Oldie

• View Profile
Touch-up Paint
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »
Well now I did it!!!  Moved the scoot around in the garage (cement floor) and used the side stand to park it on.
When I came back 20 minutes later there my baby layed on her side on the floor!  After I wiped my tears and changed my underwear I picked her up and put her on the center-stand.  Scrapped top to bottom and front to back!!
Nothing broken thank goodness.  I will replace the rear body cover and panel below floorboard.  Then I can get away
with just touch-up!  My question is if anyone has gotten any OEM Kymco touch-up paint.  My dealer said today
he didn't think touch-up paint was available.

He recommended checking one of our local automotive paint suppliers who match paint through computer and make
up their own.  I'm going to need the Bright Silver, Flat Black, and the Metal Bronze color of the grab bar and the lowest
panel.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,  Oldie
Thanks,  ED
Silver Bullet- 2011 Downtown 300i

duesouth

• View Profile
Re: Touch-up Paint
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »
That story sounds familiar, except someone knocked mine over. I'd love touch up paint too, haven't been able to find any. Seems strange Kymco wouldn't sell it.

fastnlight

• View Profile
Re: Touch-up Paint (exists)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:28:17 AM »
My wife was on her first extended ride and we crossed the Columbia river on a small ferry.  During a second stage of the loading process, a big truck pulled on a tipped the boat forward enough to roll the scoot off the stand and grind it back and forth against the non-skid grit epoxied to the deck before we could run over. 

The repair was pretty major.  We did get some silver touchup paint from the dealer so don't give up.  I also used some Duplicolor brand "perfect match" spray paint in reflex silver metallic and it is nearly a perfect match.  The black was easy to find at the auto parts store by just using some satin enamel and some flat in places.

MassScoot

• View Profile
Re: Touch-up Paint (exists)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
My wife was on her first extended ride and we crossed the Columbia river on a small ferry.  During a second stage of the loading process, a big truck pulled on a tipped the boat forward enough to roll the scoot off the stand and grind it back and forth against the non-skid grit epoxied to the deck before we could run over.  

The repair was pretty major.  We did get some silver touchup paint from the dealer so don't give up.  I also used some Duplicolor brand "perfect match" spray paint in reflex silver metallic and it is nearly a perfect match.  The black was easy to find at the auto parts store by just using some satin enamel and some flat in places.

I'm just wondering.....Wouldn't someone's insurance be on the hook for this? Also Oldie....I "always" use my center stand on my scooters, I just don't trust the side stand. That sucks that your scoot took a spill!
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:09:06 PM »
oldie...sorry to hear about your scoot......the trick on the dt anyway is to always park on level surface....when you pull the kick stand down and dismount....the side stand will creep forward a bit and mine will make another slight movement outward.....than (and before i get off the scooter) i pivot the handlebars and therefore the wheel to the left...a tad....the tendency to creep forward will always be there as i learned the hard way.....my scooter was three days old ...i had a slow leak...rear tire and i got off....in about 10 minutes the bike moved forward the kickstand was no longer planted on firm ground...

fortunately i was right there when it happened...and the bike fell on my lawn chair....i was very lucky....and sustained only a few very minor scratches...

like you searched for touch up ...my scooter is white....had to try a few colors....i finally got a match....with  a pearl white.....

touch up paint is out there only i believe dealers have access to it.....

keep trying.....dropping a bike is a right of passage.....few admit to it......but it is quite common......good luck.....

Oldie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:29:30 PM »
Thanks for the replys.. I did use the silver touch-up paint for our 2011 Jeep Liberty.  I must say it couldn't get
any closer to match.  I used a generic Flat Black for the trim.

I'm definitely a "Center Stand" convert.

Oldie
Thanks,  ED
Silver Bullet- 2011 Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()