Author Topic: Only 5 Kymco Scooters are made in Taiwan for the USA Market!  (Read 17312 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Only 5 Kymco Scooters are made in Taiwan for the USA Market!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »
Here's how some label the products....

"DESIGNED IN THE U.S./MADE GLOBALLY"

;)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »
Geezer,

Streido had asked the question,

"Is the problem based on build quality or is it political? ie that you dont like China to be more of a "superpower" than the US?"

His reply was based off your earlier answer of what Axy posted where you said,

"Maybe to you, but you don't speak for every body."

I have a feeling he gathered from the tone of your reply (much as I did) that you had a problem with China. Your last reply suggested that you didn't, though one of your last remarks,

"Oh By the way I had a mainland China scooter once. It was so bad I ended up scrapping it out.... "

implies that you do.

-Wolf

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »
As they say opinions vary.....

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
I dont think O.Geez is being political Wolf, i DID believe he was from the Axy answer but he explained is is not, so i accept that. Still not sure what the problem with Chinese manufacturing is tho  :-\  The Chinese factory will make exactly what is ordered by their customer, so if the customer asks flr cheap ass, shoddy & cheally made products then that is what they will make. Same if it gkes the other way and the customer wants a high-end piece of equipment, ie and iPhone or pair of Nike's (made in china) then they will get a high-end product. I cant see how anyone can blame the factory, or the Chinese, who are just following the customers orders.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »
For us here in the US, historically, “Made in China”, products meant poor quality.  That is no longer the case.  Today we resent China because the products are made there instead of here.  So IMO it's jobs not quality today.  If we resent China it is because we want those manufacturing jobs here.  And yes, I too want more jobs here in The USA.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »
It may well be assembled along the road O.Geez but you'll find most, if not all, of the components were made in Asia and shipped to the US plant. Same here in the UK, weve gone from a nation of engineers and technicians to assembly line workers. Most of the products marked "Made in the USA" or " Made in the UK" should actually read "Made in China, knocked together in the USA/UK".

I know one reason for this is the UK was for tax and import reasons, companies paid far more or were limited in what finished goods they could import, parts were easier and cheaper tho. All they did was import all the components and get low-paid workers bere on minimum wage usually to assemble them, so getting around the import taxes and restrictions.

Like someone already said, our companies just cannot compete with cheap chinese labour and manufacturing costs. The lack of legislation, health & safety requirements, emmissions control and a whole host of other things over there means tbey can always cut our prices/costs.  :(

this is true 2 years ago i worked for a company in the uk that made components for airbuss a380 from scratch but just mechined alloy then anodised/painted. assembled in small bits then sent to brouton in the uk assembled into a wing then shiped to france to assemble to rest of the plain. but the company was part owned by rolesroyce. not be long befor all the industry has gone . ( i with 200 ish people made redudent. ) just gready people with a lust for money, wanting more. cut back till  work cant be done and some one under cuts the tender in another country.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »
For us here in the US, historically, “Made in China”, products meant poor quality.  That is no longer the case.  Today we resent China because the products are made there instead of here.  So IMO it's jobs not quality today.  If we resent China it is because we want those manufacturing jobs here.  And yes, I too want more jobs here in The USA.

Richard L.

Yep!

I've been installing/repairing Chinese automotive equipment for 7 years now. I've seen the worst and the best. China can make some serious crap but, they can also make some really quality products. The key is to buy from a trusted domestic retailer that backs their product up with excellent service and support. Anybody looking to buy a lift, DO NOT buy one from eBay or Harbor Freight. There are other retailers that sell better Chinese equipment for the same price. Bend Pak used to be a major American manufacturer of lifts. Made in China now. People think they're buying an American made lift and believe me they pay $$$ for it. If it weren't for the sticker on the column they'd never know. I hate to break to people but things made in the US/Europe aren't perfect either. All manufacturing is subject to defects, flaws, and shipping damage.

Biggest thing I see is user/installation error. Lifts fall over/cars fall off lifts because it was never installed correctly, bad concrete, lack of maintenance, and not using the damn thing properly. You'd be surprised at some of the things I see. And at major service station chains  :o. I'm talking about disabling safeties and arm restraints, then wrapping a bungee cord around the hydraulic release handle and walking away. Walking away while 3 tons of car drops to the ground. Forget damaging a customers car, what if a kid walked through that unlocked door to the shop and gets under that 3 tons  :o :o :o
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 02:21:55 AM »
The Chinese factory will make exactly what is ordered by their customer, so if the customer asks flr cheap ass, shoddy & cheally made products then that is what they will make. Same if it gkes the other way and the customer wants a high-end piece of equipment, ie and iPhone or pair of Nike's (made in china) then they will get a high-end product. I cant see how anyone can blame the factory, or the Chinese, who are just following the customers orders.

100% true.  We're in this business for many years. I deal with Chinese suppliers almost everyday and they can make Class AAA products to Class D depending on your specs and budget.  In China, you deal with the supplier/trader. The supplier usually doesnt have a factory. He then looks for a factory that can manufacture your orders. We have three U.S. suppliers that have products manufactured in China. The label indicates the U.S. brand and their U.S. main office address but doesnt say "Made in USA" it only says "U.S.A."

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 07:52:52 AM »
by the way, Honda cars and motorbikes are "Made by Global Honda".....  ??? nice...so... that means it can be manufactured anywhere using parts from who knows where? Well...using the latest Honda technology, of course...

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 11:25:40 PM »
by the way, Honda cars and motorbikes are "Made by Global Honda".....  ??? nice...so... that means it can be manufactured anywhere using parts from who knows where? Well...using the latest Honda technology, of course...

My PCX is unashamedly made in Thailand.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 01:15:50 AM »
My PCX is unashamedly made in Thailand.

yeah...

My Mazda is made by Ford Philippines, windshield made in France, weather strips from Germany, wipers from Belgium, shock absorbers from Spain, lights from Germany, tires from Philippines, etc., etc.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:06:12 AM by Vivo »

neotrotsky

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 07:22:41 AM »
I work as an audio engineer and Tech Director at a local university theater.  There, we have a large stash of the venerable Shure SM58 and 57 microphones.  You have seen these mics at just about any concert, be it at a church to the top arena rock events.  They are bulletproof and an "industry standard" since the 70's. Tech riders ALWAYS ask for them, and you will not find ANY venue with paid musicians without them.

Except, they haven't been made in the US for well over 12 years. 

The biggest draw was that it was a quality "US" product... except that the electrics are made partly in China and the mics are actually built in MEXICO!  And the price for these are anywhere from $95 to $114 brand new. 

But, because of the name, they still sell like mad.  Even when myself and other audio engineers have found other mics that sound better and even handle abuse better (Like the GLS ES58/57 from Orange County Speakers) for a third the price, musicians won't touch them.  They think that because of the rep, they are still US made and therefore better.  Even when you swap out the mic when some aren't looking (which is something I only do on church rental gigs. I would NEVER screw with a pro's rider) and they sound better, they think they're still using a Shure.

The point is that if you don't tell someone where a product is made, and if there is an average level of quality control (not even a great level), people will automatically believe the product is what they THINK it is.  They will think that Vespa 150S is made in Italy.  They will think their iPhone is made in the US.  They will think that their Thinkpad is STILL made by IBM! 

It simply depends on how it performs and how it spec's.  Not where it's originally from.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 07:50:07 AM »
Yeah, people still think the brand "Pyle" is still U.S.

adri

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle News, Reviews, Events, Roads, and Rides
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 06:15:39 AM »
No one mentioned this but it's interesting to note that ALL of the engines are still made in Taiwan, and then shipped overseas (to China) for vehicle assembly.
The heart of the bike remains Taiwanese.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 06:26:26 AM »
And ah, yes... the BMW G 450X..... engine by Kymco ..... a German with a Taiwanese heart......

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()