Author Topic: Only 5 Kymco Scooters are made in Taiwan for the USA Market!  (Read 17308 times)

MassScoot

• View Profile
Not to say that a Kymco Chinese made scoots are terrible, by any means, but only the Downtown 200i/300i. GT200i/300i & the Xciting 500Ri are made in Taiwan for the US market today!

That's HUGE from 5 years ago, when only the "Agility" was made in China. I guess labor costs in Taiwan are increasing like everyone else is. My next guess is that Vietnam will be new "new" China in a few years!  
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

old geezer

• View Profile
Re: Only 5 Kymco Scooters are made in Taiwan for the USA Market!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »
I had a People 150 and now a People S 250. Both were made in Taiwan. I will probably keep the S 250 a while longer. It doesn't give me any trouble.

Honda has scooters made in China. The Elite 110 was made in China and the Honda PCX is made in Thailand.

Look at the vin

RFB-products manufactured in Taiwan
LC2-products manufactured in China
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:31:20 PM by old geezer »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »
It is completely irrelevant where they are made.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »
It is completely irrelevant where they are made.

Maybe to you, but you don't speak for every body.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
Is the problem based on build quality or is it political? ie that you dont like China to be more of a "superpower" than the US?

Nobody complained when they all got cheap electrical & computer goods, iPhones, sportswear and clothes made in China?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
china makes everything. two parts of china east and west that manufacures east china is the tat/garbage west china makes the good stuff. i think thats the right way round. china is a big place so you hear lots of good and bad things made in china. but what people focus on is the place "china" and cheep. there is still a lot of quality things that come from china.

like streido said"
Is the problem based on build quality or is it political? ie that you dont like China to be more of a "superpower" than the US?

what is a nasa rocket, every componant made by the cheepest bidder ie china. usa and uk etc cant under cut the market economey. just get use to the fact the future is bright the future is china

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »
Guys....I have no problems with a scoot being made in China. That was not my intention @ all. I just wanted to point out that 5 years ago, every single Kymco USA imported scoot was made in Taiwan (with the exception of the Agility series) I remember reading reviews on the Agility 50cc & the 125cc & their thoughts about how it was "Made in China"

A quote from Skippy "Just get use to the fact the future is bright the future is China"

I have news for you. The labor costs in China are getting much higher as I write this. I think China has "maybe" 4-5 years worth of scooter manufacturing (maybe longer), then it will be pushed over to Thailand or better yet...Vietnam. One of my other favorites is indoor helicopter's in the Winter months (Efilte, E-Sky etc.) They ae all moving their factories over to Vietnam.

It has "nothing" to go with Politics my friends...It's all based on labor costs!
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »
Yup, and when China and the rest of Asia gets too expensive or they become too "middle-class" to make our sh** for us for peanuts then there's always Africa....... They already have that planned im sure over at Apple etc.

We really only got ourselves to blame, we buy the sh** and dont complain about it as long as its cheap. If we didnt demand it then they wouldnt supply it.

I remember as a kid we couldnt afford to buy a tv, my mum rented it! And when sh** broke down we got a repair guy in to fix it. Now we just throw it away cos its easier and cheaper to just buy a new one. Thats messed up, doesnt make any sense does it  ??? Some poor guy (or kid) works 150 hrs a week for $4 just so we can go to Wallmart or some other store and buy a shiney new gadget for $299.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
Wow, there is only 168 hours in a week...not much time for eating and sleeping. Must be tough people.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 12:43:19 AM »
Old Geezer you never answered the questioned -- what do you have against China? If you own and ride a Kymco scooter there's a chance it, or its parts were made in China. Could be the computer you're using to surf the net is from China too.

Ironic.

-Wolf

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 01:24:05 AM »
Old Geezer you never answered the questioned -- what do you have against China? If you own and ride a Kymco scooter there's a chance it, or its parts were made in China. Could be the computer you're using to surf the net is from China too.

Ironic.

-Wolf

I NEVER said any thing negative about China. And how I feel is none of your business. Others made it political, I don't do political post.

And anyway I don't know what the "questioned" was

Oh By the way I had a mainland China scooter once. It was so bad I ended up scrapping it out....

The computer I'm using is a Dell made about 30 miles down the road from me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:59:14 AM by old geezer »

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 01:41:22 AM »
Chinese, Japanese

Dirty knees, Look at these!  ;D
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 02:14:27 AM »
So what if it's made where? We must not look at the place but the Company behind the product. One company may have factories in China, Taiwan, Turkey, Thailand, etc. but all have the same factories and quality practices.

Could be the computer you're using to surf the net is from China too?

Here's a peek....

Quanta Computer Incorporated is a Taiwan-based manufacturer of notebook computers and other electronic hardware. It is the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world. Its customers include Apple Inc., Compaq, Dell, Gateway, Hewlett-Packard, Alienware, Amazon.com, Casper, Cisco, Fujitsu, Gericom, Lenovo, LG, Maxdata, MPC, Research In Motion, Sharp Corporation, Siemens AG, Sony, Sun Microsystems, and Toshiba.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 02:20:42 AM »
I love Lenovo

I about to buy a new Lenovo laptop here in a few weeks

Never bought a new computer. I'm excited!
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 08:11:49 AM »
The computer I'm using is a Dell made about 30 miles down the road from me.

It may well be assembled along the road O.Geez but you'll find most, if not all, of the components were made in Asia and shipped to the US plant. Same here in the UK, weve gone from a nation of engineers and technicians to assembly line workers. Most of the products marked "Made in the USA" or " Made in the UK" should actually read "Made in China, knocked together in the USA/UK".

I know one reason for this is the UK was for tax and import reasons, companies paid far more or were limited in what finished goods they could import, parts were easier and cheaper tho. All they did was import all the components and get low-paid workers bere on minimum wage usually to assemble them, so getting around the import taxes and restrictions.

Like someone already said, our companies just cannot compete with cheap chinese labour and manufacturing costs. The lack of legislation, health & safety requirements, emmissions control and a whole host of other things over there means tbey can always cut our prices/costs.  :(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()