Author Topic: Only 5 Kymco Scooters are made in Taiwan for the USA Market!  (Read 17315 times)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: Only 5 Kymco Scooters are made in Taiwan for the USA Market!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 06:48:35 AM »
Nice!  :)

Didn't even know BMW made sells off road bikes  ;)
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 07:05:05 AM »
Nice!  :)

Didn't even know BMW made sells off road bikes  ;)

The BMW GS series are on/off road bikes and had been in the market since the 80's....

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 12:31:49 PM »
I was born in the 80s vivo   ;D

I'm sure you already knew this though  :D

Seriously, most off road motorcycles in the US are Japanese. Maybe a KTM here and there.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »
Heard/read somewhere that Kymco has been focused (last couple of years) on higher profit margins like building engines, etc for BMW and other big name companies.   They moved the smaller, less profitable scooters to China for the cheaper labor.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 03:01:06 AM »
I was born in the 80s vivo   ;D

I'm sure you already knew this though  :D

Seriously, most off road motorcycles in the US are Japanese. Maybe a KTM here and there.

I'm sure you already knew this though  :D 

::) ::) ::)

The Austrian KTM Duke and the Japanese Kawasaki 250 Ninja are both made by Bajaj in India....

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »
I stand corrected! The new Kymco "Movie 150" is made in Taiwan. You'll notice the price jump as well @ $3199.00 (labor costs) Nice scoot, but still has a carb. but 4 valves & front & dear discs.

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/movie150/index.html
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2012, 12:47:07 AM »
Heard/read somewhere that Kymco has been focused (last couple of years) on higher profit margins like building engines, etc for BMW and other big name companies.   They moved the smaller, less profitable scooters to China for the cheaper labor.

Wheels: I cannot understand how I missed your reply! Let's see.....Most of Kymco's USA line-up is made in China now. Do you think for one minute if Kymco continued to build their scooters in Taiwan they could stay competitive? I think not. Yes....Being in sales myself, everything is profit margin my friend! They "had to" move many of their factories over to the mainland. I purchased a Kymco Super 8 150cc for $2300.00 last week to keep @ my parrents home in Florida. I paid $3300.00 for my Kymco People S200 (made in Taiwan) in 2005. It's really the same engine, just another 13cc's! My bet is my new Super 8 will be just as reliable as my S200.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 12:54:12 AM »
My bet is my new Super 8 will be just as reliable as my S200.

I'm sure you'll let us know if that isn't the case... right?

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 02:33:30 AM »
"Thanks for all the Fish...been nice knowin ya!" July 15, 2012

Kymco has been designing, creating, copying, reproducing, and most importantly manufacturing scooter and motorcycle products since 1963? My point is regardless of which country is doing the hands-on production of these vehicles they all come off the assembley line for the same and only reason; profit. For the most part the company and it's sister companies produce a quality consumer appreciated product. Now my chagrin with you is that you enjoy posting snide, sarcastic, and negative remarks because  you evidently suffered buyers remorse. Let it go, man up, stop whining, and own your parting remarks of July 15. They were well received by most of us. And your efite little remark, "I'm sure you'll let us know if that isn't the case..right?" is confusing. What does that mean? What did you plan on gaining by making the remark? Are you hurting and angry because your Kymco scooter was not perfect and people on the other end did not behave the way you wanted them to? Man up, get over it and yes we always let each other know when the product does not perform. That's what men do. They talk about it. Fix it. And then get over it.
Mike

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »
Conversely, I'm sure JP will let us know if his Honda succumbs to the same pattern of neglect and abuse he subjected his People to.

Right now I'm awaiting delivery on a 2009 Xciting 500 Ri that I bought with a salvage title from upstate New York. It looks like it only bounced off one side where some goombah was trying deerhunting with a scooter.

That wasn't you, was it, Mike?

It's white with the short windshield and only has 1800 miles on it.

I hope I don't get any grief trying to register it here in New Mexico on a salvage certificate, if I do, I'll go full outlaw and take one of the zeros off the side emblem, and when the cops stop me, I'll say it's a 50, no license needed, it's made in China.

Made in China
Albuquerque, New Mexico

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 03:03:58 AM »
That's what men do. They talk about it.

Like me and my respective Kymco and Honda blogs, where one can compare what's what in coming years?  I agree.  ;)

Of course, my Kymco blog is barely able to be found on Google.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:25:14 AM by jprestonian »

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 03:06:34 AM »
Conversely, I'm sure JP will let us know if his Honda succumbs to the same pattern of neglect and abuse he subjected his People to.

You might explain that pattern to people that aren't me and don't know my People 250's history as well as you do (and better than I know it, apparently).

It rather amuses me that some ascribe some kind of motive to what I write, given that I've said FAR more positive thangs about Kymco than not. I just tell it as I have experienced it. If that's not good enough for you, fine, but I'm gonna ask you to back up what you say, as I have backed up what I have said.

So... have at it. Describe this pattern of neglect and abuse, and while you're at it, explain how you came to possess this insight. Waiting.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:03:13 AM by jprestonian »

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2012, 04:35:14 AM »
Kymco has been designing, creating, copying, reproducing, and most importantly manufacturing scooter and motorcycle products since 1963?

Approximately how many of them have you had hands-on experience with in the past 49 years, Mike?

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »
JP: That reply from Mike G. kind of stung...Didn't it? It was well written & makes plenty of sense too me.

Here is the part you keep avoiding (Your Quote) "Thanks for all the Fish...been nice knowin ya!" July 15, 2012"

It would be so wonderful if you could stick to your words & simply say goodbye.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
Dude, we know your history, you put 25,000 miles on a Kymco 250, running 60 miles a day, and most of that at 70 MPH, with an exhaust leak and no inclination to adjust the valves or tune the carb.

Why you would have anything bad to say about Kymco is unclear, when you really did quite well, despite having little mechanical aptitude.

Now you have a machine with half the displacement and the same trek to Dakkar each day, so, go little Honda.

It's not a big motorcycle, just a groovy little motorbike
It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys, that two wheel bike
Put on a ragged sweatshirt so we can ride my Honda tonight

Albuquerque, New Mexico

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()