Author Topic: Windscreen for Like 200i  (Read 4950 times)

jkuszaj

• View Profile
Windscreen for Like 200i
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »
Which is a better windscreen for the Like 200i, the Givi 442a windscreen or the Kymco
 windscreen? Is the Givi windscreen custom fit to the Like 200i? Any drilling necessary for either?

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Windscreen for Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
Hello, I had a look at the Givi windshield at  their site. It is designed for the 50/125 that is sold outside the US. If you do not have the USA turn signals it should fit the 200i. If you do there may not be clearance for the lights.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

jkuszaj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »
Thanks.  Clearance between the lights and the handle bars for the mounting kit?  Jack

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »
The mounting kits for shields allow for some up and down movement so you may be able to clear...Len
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

evilscooterkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
Scooterville carries the Biondi windshield for the Like, but it DOES require messing with the USA-mandatory front turn lights: http://www.scootervilleparts.com/kymcolike.htm

captainscott

• you meet the best people on a 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »
Check out the Puig screen from Germany. See link to my pictures. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kymco_kid/sets/72157631228459928/

Lucasan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 07:21:48 AM »
Since my girlfriend commutes to work on a strip of PCH that gets very windy, I think a windscreen is a partial solution for her. Talking to the mechanic who changed out some parts on our new Like 200i today, I was told differently. He said that it would slow the bike down by about 5 mph. However, my limited knowledge of physics tells me otherwise. If there is a an object that deflects air pressure/wind current up and over the rider, would it not help the speed by improving aerodynamics? I might be a total noob here, but I think I still possess a bit of common sense. someone please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, I am leaning towards the Puig windscreen, as I think it looks better overall and seems to be quality made. I really like the pics that captainscott has posted.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 08:59:34 AM »
Since my girlfriend commutes to work on a strip of PCH that gets very windy, I think a windscreen is a partial solution for her. Talking to the mechanic who changed out some parts on our new Like 200i today, I was told differently. He said that it would slow the bike down by about 5 mph. However, my limited knowledge of physics tells me otherwise. If there is a an object that deflects air pressure/wind current up and over the rider, would it not help the speed by improving aerodynamics? I might be a total noob here, but I think I still possess a bit of common sense. someone please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, I am leaning towards the Puig windscreen, as I think it looks better overall and seems to be quality made. I really like the pics that captainscott has posted.

In riding a scooter, your chest is the biggest thing that resist the wind plus your head. At higher speeds, you are pulling your body thru the resisting force of the wind.

A windshield directs that wind around your chest decreasing load on your engine....   Your mechanic is wrong. Aerodynamics, in this case a scooter windscreen, depends on a lot of things... shape, surface area, inclination of the windscreen, speed, etc.  It is not just a simple deflection of wind.  A squarish upright windscreen will have a higher drag coefficient than a 45 degree inclined curved one with the same surface area. There is a formula for this... and significant in bigger objects than smaller ones.  

And oh...keeps the bugs off also... ;)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:14:55 AM by Vivo »

Lucasan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »
Yeah good points Vivo. I figured as much, just didn't have the technical lingo to match. Bugs out of face is probably the biggest benefit. I ride with a 3/4 helmet and a flip down visor, and my girlfriend rides with a similar set up. I've learned the hard way to always keep my mouth closed.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 02:16:28 AM »
So, that was you!....

Lucasan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 02:44:29 AM »
Ha! More like back of the the throat, cough, cough cough spit. Ew.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()