Author Topic: I need some help!  (Read 3113 times)

tuffguy

• View Profile
I need some help!
« on: September 01, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Dear Liker Bikers -I posted this question earlier under "Top speed" I need some help! The Like 200i's have two different ECU's in them.  There is a 16100-LGS6-E10 and a 16100-LGS6-M30.  You will only see the LGS6-E10 or maybe a LGS6-M30 on the ECU.  I suspect, but I'd like to verify that the 16100-LGS6-M30 ECU's RPM limiter will do about 70 MPH and the 16100-LGS6-E10 ECU's RPM limiter will do about 60 MPH or less.  Which ECU number do you have and how many MPH can you go?  I think the M30 was on the earlier models and the E10 on the newest models. Can I please get some verification? You will need to take your seat out and look at the top of the ECU.
Thank you!
See picture:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:52:41 PM by tuffguy »

big blue

• View Profile
Re: I need some help!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »
Hi Tuff, Where did you find out about the speed difference between the two ECUs? I checked out the Kymco online parts department and you are correct about the different numbers. The pre-2012s are listed for M30 and later ones M10 ECU. I have not pulled my seat to find out, but I'm guessing it is a M10 (2012 Like 200i LX).
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

tuffguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »
Dear Big Blue, I know how easy it is to make a mistake in programming micro controllers like the ones in our scooter ECU's.  Sometimes wrong parts are substituted and we only learn about the problem after hundreds of units have left the factory.  Unfortunately everybody goes into damage control and the blame game starts.  I don't think this is a problem that any dealers or mechanics are aware of as of yet.  The problem I am thinking about is a little bit too technical for mechanics and repair shops. All I am saying is there might be a problem with the ECU's.  I am just trying to connect some dots. As of yet all I know is that some Kymco Like 200i scooters will top out at about 75 MPH and others only at about 50 MPH or somewhere in between.  Why the big discrepancy in speed? That is where some of the blame game has started, some say its a fuel problem, others say its an ignition problem.  Sometimes that may be true but that's not the situation that I am curious about.  I know there is definitely an ECU problem. If it is not an ECU problem why did they change from the M30 to an E10? Why are there two different ECU's on the same bike? Are they interchangeable? From a professional stand point I will say there are only two ways the RPM limit can change on an ECU “micro controller” 1.by changing the speed of the crystal oscillator on the chip or by  2.  changing the micro controller program. I am just curious as to what might have happened.  My starting question is how fast will scooters go on the M30 and the E10 ECU and is there any correlation?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 12:09:46 AM by tuffguy »

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 02:11:25 AM »
I have the E10.  Scoot runs great.  I hit 60-65 no problem.  A little rough on the idle, but nothing i haven't seen on a single cylinder small motor. I am running an Iridium plug and syth oil, stock everything else.  Only issue I have had is how the drive belt really deposits a lot of itself as it wears.  I had that "slippage" issue...when scoot was cold, there was a chirping sound coming from the drive housing and the scoot had no "get up and go".  After 5 minutes, it went away.  Finally got around to pulling housing and it was COVERED in the black "dust" of the belt.  I cleaned everything out and sprayed down the good parts with brake cleaner.  Problem solved.  Running great.  PS- I also use a splash of Sta-Bil at every gas fill up.  I will try to get hold of my dealer's mechanic and see if they are aware of any issues with the CPU.  I know last year when I was ordering mine, they were re-flashing a CPU on a 200i.  But I never asked why. 

tuffguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 04:23:31 AM »
Thank you for the response Kriden.  Your rough idle could be due to a need to initialize your TPI/ABV (basically resetting your TPI/ABV).  See the attached picture with instructions. " It is from the Kymco factory service manual." The dealer and the manufacturer is the most knowledgeable about your scooter , unfortunately, if you criticize your own product you risk the chance of losing your job. Today, I manufacture and test vehicle parts, but many years ago I was a mechanic.  If a mechanic criticizes the companies product that he works on, it would not be good. I was not allowed to discuss with the public some problems that existed  with our products.This might or might not be the case with kymco but sometimes if you want to be sure your getting a totally unbiased answer, you  might have to ask a mechanic that is not associated with, or does not sell the Kymco product. You need to ask a neutral party. That's why I appreciate your answer and I am just trying to gather information. I would appreciate more comments on others top speeds and their ECU's. I hope we all might benefit. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:20:34 PM by tuffguy »

kriden

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 01:42:24 AM »
no problem and thank you again for your inquiry into this. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()