Author Topic: Light alloy wheels??  (Read 1329 times)

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
Light alloy wheels??
« on: September 08, 2012, 04:43:23 AM »
dont know if htis has already been asked but does anyone know of any companys that sell lightweight alloy wheels for scooters  ???

just brainstorming ideas to get the amount of weight the engine needs to haul to a minimum. dont wanna do much more to the engine because thats a screamer now (i actually feel self concious when i go WOT) all i can do is make the engines job easier.

BTW i cant seem to remember the rule of "sprung" and "unsprung" weight (sumone give me a refresh...please)......ah damn i always forget...i have goooooooooogle.....no worries.
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Light alloy wheels??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 05:47:09 AM »
Don't your scoot have alloy wheels already? Maybe you can go on a diet to stay light.... Avoid heavy clothing, leave those coins at home, don't fill up your gas tank, get skinnier tires,....

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »
Ride in the nude, that works  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
You gota remember if you go lighter tires you well have to realy watch theam pot holes and the tires well be harder to change. you should be good if you just keep the right amount of air in theam.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:12:23 AM »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:29:20 AM »
I've seen a set on Parts for scooters as well as Ali Babba. They are three spoke alloy that come in 3-4 colors, and cost 99.00 US. The issue is they are 2" wide so any tire you use has to be tiny. Your wheels may weigh 2-3lbs more but that's about it. I'd look into a stuffer crank, and inner rotor Ign before wheels. You could easily loose 7-8 lbs inside the engine, and get instant throttle response. 4-5 hundred I imagine. I'm pricing an Ign for the QMB 139 as we speak. I emailed HPI about my few remaining issues w/ the ZX set, and asked about a second rotor kit minus the cdi. Timing can be modified at the stator on the 4t. No need for fancy curves. It can even be set to fire at every stroke to maximize power, and efficiency. Just the rotor kit is around 3 bills. The crank maybe 150-200.00
More sh** to ponder eh!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »
Your wheels may weigh 2-3lbs more but that's about it. I'd look into a stuffer crank, and inner rotor Ign before wheels.

already got a heavy duty race crank waiting to go into the beast, bought it when i originally got all the bbk ready for the rebuild.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
already got a heavy duty race crank waiting to go into the beast, bought it when i originally got all the bbk ready for the rebuild.

x 2 worry about the crank going before the tires.so far my after market crank out lasted my stock one by a few 100 miles.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
x 2 worry about the crank going before the tires.so far my after market crank out lasted my stock one by a few 100 miles.

im not worried about the tyres..just want to lighten the mass the engine has to move. i only weigh 10st 4oz (145lbs)

the engine has a lighter piston therefore less weight to push and pull...the transmision has a lighter clutch bell so less weight to be spun...me im just skinny so no weight to carry..wheels are the only thing that could make a difference because the engine isnt wasteing power in the process of turning them.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()