Author Topic: 100 octane gas  (Read 2727 times)

capone1119

• View Profile
100 octane gas
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:31:17 AM »
Does anyone have any experience running 100 octane gas every now and then?
There is a station that has it for sale as racing fuel. I'm wondering if I can run a tankful every now and then and do away with the seafoam.

Would that octane be too much for the engine?

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: 100 octane gas
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 01:42:09 AM »
I tried 100 octane. Seems the same performance and more expensive. I just use 95 or 97 for economic reasons....

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:02:37 AM »
I have done half and half befor. its cheaper then buying seafoam.just take a gas can with ya to a station and get a gal. and fell the tank half reg and half 100. I do this like 3 times a year. you can evevn try 80 20.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »
I have done half and half befor. its cheaper then buying seafoam.just take a gas can with ya to a station and get a gal. and fell the tank half reg and half 100. I do this like 3 times a year. you can evevn try 80 20.

i run my Agility on 99 octane because i run high compression (72cc naraku kit) tried using 95 octane and the engine ran like crap, decided to drain almost all of it outta the tank and slung it in my intruder then filled the Ag up with 99 again.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:42:42 PM by whiteknight »
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

capone1119

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »
I will try half of a gallon of 100 octane today and see if I get any results. thanks

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:05:38 PM »
What are you trying to achieve with 100 octane gas ?

There's absolutely no reason to put it in a bike that doesn't need it, because it won't do anything that regular gasoline doesn't...

The only difference with regular gasoline is its higher resistance against detonation, which is only useful if your engine has quite an extreme amount of compression, which is almost certainly _not_ the case if you didn't "shave" your cylinder head or installed a mismatched BBK....

It's not in any way a replacement for Seafoam as far as I can tell...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:08:10 PM by mono »

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 08:17:51 PM »
What are you trying to achieve with 100 octane gas ?

There's absolutely no reason to put it in a bike that doesn't need it, because it won't do anything that regular gasoline doesn't...

The only difference with regular gasoline is its higher resistance against detonation, which is only useful if your engine has quite an extreme amount of compression, which is almost certainly _not_ the case if you didn't "shave" your cylinder head or installed a mismatched BBK....

It's not in any way a replacement for Seafoam as far as I can tell...

i run a 72 kit with a 50 head  ;D   goes like the clappers

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:01:39 AM »
i run a 72 kit with a 50 head  Grin   goes like the clappers

Kits that are properly designed to operate with the standard head have a piston with a lowered top, the resulting compression is comparable to standard - and it should be, because the standard compression ratio is already pretty close to detonation on regular fuel... With kits that originally come with a larger head, you can't really tell what the compression ratio will be when used with the standard head, it's just guesswork, and you'll easily burn a piston...

I wouldn't bother mismatching 72cc kits and heads to raise compression and gain a little power... I like being able to fill my bike with regular fuel at any gas station along my way - and a properly designed 85cc kit from a decent manufacturer will also give plenty of power, without the hassle...

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 07:20:15 AM »
Kits that are properly designed to operate with the standard head have a piston with a lowered top, the resulting compression is comparable to standard - and it should be, because the standard compression ratio is already pretty close to detonation on regular fuel... With kits that originally come with a larger head, you can't really tell what the compression ratio will be when used with the standard head, it's just guesswork, and you'll easily burn a piston...

I wouldn't bother mismatching 72cc kits and heads to raise compression and gain a little power... I like being able to fill my bike with regular fuel at any gas station along my way - and a properly designed 85cc kit from a decent manufacturer will also give plenty of power, without the hassle...

there both naraku parts, the 72 kit used to be supplied with a matching head but the supplier no longer supplys the 72 kit with the matching head because compression was too low which is why i use the 50 head.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:02:27 AM »
there both naraku parts, the 72 kit used to be supplied with a matching head but the supplier no longer supplys the 72 kit with the matching head because compression was too low which is why i use the 50 head.

Sounds like Naraku only lets you choose between two different kinds of mismatch then, although I was under the impression that these guys knew what they were doing, at least somehow... well... not so much obviously...

When you get tired of buying expensive fuel, you should try a big bore kit from a decent manufacturer  ;D

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
Oh, and by the way, back on topic :

Where do you guys get these ideas from  :

A) that racing fuel would have the same cleaning effect on your fuel system as Seafoam ??
B) that an engine needs treatment with Seafoam every now and then ??

As far as I know idea A is plain B***S*** - and concept B means that some people should fix a real problem with their bike or fuel supplier instead of promoting the use of some product which shouldn't be necessary for most people at all...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:15:31 AM by mono »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
The ethanol in our fuel is already a potent cleaning agent, why bother with other additives...

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »
Sounds like Naraku only lets you choose between two different kinds of mismatch then, although I was under the impression that these guys knew what they were doing, at least somehow... well... not so much obviously...

When you get tired of buying expensive fuel, you should try a big bore kit from a decent manufacturer  ;D

not really much diffrence between 99 and 95 in price. if anything the 99 makes my engine run better than on 95 and it lasts longer aswell and as it only costs about 5 to 6 pound to fill up you cant really complain.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 04:39:56 PM »
not really much difference between 99 and 95 in price.

Over here the difference in price wasn't peanuts the last time I looked. It's also hard to get in the area where I live. I would have to add the cost of an extra trip to the price of a full tank, and I've seen more than one gas station where they installed new equipment without the 99 octane option, It seems like it's on its way out...

The ethanol in our fuel is already a potent cleaning agent, why bother with other additives...

Because ethanol seems to solve anything but the dreaded gasoline gum, and it attracts water, which causes corrosion products which also don't solve in ethanol nor gasoline.....

I wish I could safely distill it from the gasoline to clean my insides with it though ...  ;D

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »

I wish I could safely distill it from the gasoline to clean my insides with it though ...  ;D

hit me up if you ever make a batch  8)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()