Author Topic: Kevlar belt?  (Read 2130 times)

A$APAgility

• View Profile
Kevlar belt?
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »
I just ordered a malossi multivar variator kit and i'm soon going to derestrict my cdi and change the main jet. should i also change my belt to a kevlar belt because of extra strain?

juice

• View Profile
Re: Kevlar belt?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:30:52 AM »
I've never heard a positive report on kevlar belts for everyday use . Good luck .

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »
you should be fine with the stock belt. But if your going to be doing wheelies you might wana get a new one.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »
Personally i would stick with rubber. I tried a Malossi Kevlar once and did like it a lot but once they begin to wear they throw off a lot of dust and stuff that looks like candy floss into the cvt case, gets everywhere, inside clutch, in the kickstart mech, even had some in with my rollers.

Stock belt will be fine. Unless you only do short trips and dont rack up many miles i would avoid the kevlar.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
Personally i would stick with rubber. I tried a Malossi Kevlar once and did like it a lot but once they begin to wear they throw off a lot of dust and stuff that looks like candy floss into the cvt case, gets everywhere, inside clutch, in the kickstart mech, even had some in with my rollers.

Stock belt will be fine. Unless you only do short trips and dont rack up many miles i would avoid the kevlar.

+1

i still have my stock belt fitted and its only just now starting to get really worn down and affecting my accelleration and top end...stick with stock (less money and less tears when it breaks)
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:21:44 PM »
The extra strain on the belt with a regular derestricted engine is peanuts...

The standard belts can take an enormous amount of beating. I've been driving big bore setups with almost double the standard power for years on standard Bando (and recently also Dayco) belts, and I still haven't seen any abnormal wear...

Kevlar belts are just a gadget, not worth the extra money and not worth the mess they make when they break (which they appear to do very eagerly)...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 10:56:06 PM »
The extra strain on the belt with a regular derestricted engine is peanuts...

The standard belts can take an enormous amount of beating. I've been driving big bore setups with almost double the standard power for years on standard Bando (and recently also Dayco) belts, and I still haven't seen any abnormal wear...

Kevlar belts are just a gadget, not worth the extra money and not worth the mess they make when they break (which they appear to do very eagerly)...

x2 I guess if you weight over 250 or something you might have some extra wear on the belt.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:38 PM »
   x2 I guess if you weight over 250 or something you might have some extra wear on the belt.

x3  im constantly ghost riding because i weigh so little hence why my belt has only just started giving up the ghost  :D ;D :P
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:09:49 PM »
I've never heard a positive report on kevlar belts for everyday use . Good luck .

I'll be the first then.
I have no negative things to say about kevlar belts. For me, the Malossi X Kevlar have behaved just like the regular belt, cold or hot and also when it get worn, even though both times i have run kevlar i have used it for over 6000 km, without it failing or being the critical 1,5mm less wide. :)

The reason why i use kevlar belts?
The one sold by my dealer is a bit longer than stock, and it gives higher top gearing, but others here repport that you can get that gearing by other means too. :)

So on a standart scooter, its not really either bad or good to use a kevlar belt... But its cool to say "My belt is made of the same material as a bullet-proof vest"  ;D
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()