Author Topic: Bike died out on freeway!  (Read 3405 times)

automattic

• View Profile
Bike died out on freeway!
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:39:56 PM »
My 2007 people s 250 just dies out on me while I was on the freeway, far left lane nontheless! Pulled to the right as quick as I could almost getting hit in the process. Had to push it bout 3/4 mi to a friends house. It will not start but just cranks. Not sure what the problem is. The carb is getting gas but I don't have the proper socket for the spark plug to see if its sparking. Bout to put this thing on craigslists I guess.
Silver 2007 Kymco People S 250

old geezer

• View Profile
Re: Bike died out on freeway!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:09:54 PM »
Check spark plug, spark plug wire and cap, coil, CDI. Make sure the kill switch did not short out.

I wouldn't get down on Kymco too much. In the last couple of months I have read at least 15 post on modern vespa where Vespas would quit on the road. It would usually be spark plug, wire, cap or fuel pump related. And they still love them over there.

Zeeman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
The first thing to check is if you are getting spark. You dont need to pull the plug, find an old plug of anytype and plug it in, next ground the plug to the motor and give it a crank. If the plug sparks than suspect the plug itself. This can also be done if you have a timing light and you can it that way.  Keep in mind that a spark plug will rarely just stop working while running. Normaly it will backfire or run like crap before it stops. If there is no spark, there can be several reasons. YOu will need a multi-meter from here on. Download the service manual, it will make this easy. Check to make sure that there is voltage going to the ignition system. Remember that there are two safety cutouts on this scooter, the one of the side stand will kill the motor if its running. If this failed, it will stop the bike while running as will the like mentioned before the kill switch on the handle bars.  Electrics are no fun but with a multimter and a little time, they can be fixed on your own.
Good luck,
EZ
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:20:04 PM by Zeeman »
Keeping the shinny side up!
2007 People S250

automattic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »
I pulled gas inlet to carb and it pumps gas when I crank it. I pulled spark plug and it sparks when cranked. I even put in a new one. I'm just a little fed up with working on this bike. With the headlights not working due to faulty head light modulator, speedometer cable braking or coming loose and a few broken body panels I'm ready to part with it. Not to mention the expensive parts and the wait to get them.

Zeeman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »
Well, sounds like something got into the carb and is blocking the gas. That sucks, pull it apart and hose it down with carb cleaner. It happens all the time. I use a marine grade carb/ gas treatment. A couple of ounces every few tanks have always worked for me.
If it have Tit's or Tires, sooner or later, it will give you trouble!
Good luck,

EZ
Keeping the shinny side up!
2007 People S250

automattic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:46:35 PM »
Ok Im gonna pull the carb and clean it today. Hopefully that'll do it.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:28:26 PM »
Just pray for no broken cam chain. That sux.

automattic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »
Well I cleaned the carb and it still won't start. Called kymco and talked to steve. Told him my scenario. He insults me  and says well I can tell you don't have a lot of mechanical background. I just smirked to myself and told him more thoroughly all the things I have checked on my bike. He says i should check the compression. Well I don't have a compression meter and this thing only has 20k miles on it. What do you guys think I should do? Pursue repair or suck up my losses and try to sell it?

automattic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
There's a short hose under the carb that dangles and is cut off. Doesn't connect to anything. Now when I crank the bike gas leaks out of here. Gas has never came out of this hose as far as I know. Any ideas???

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »
Well I cleaned the carb and it still won't start. Called kymco and talked to steve. Told him my scenario. He insults me  and says well I can tell you don't have a lot of mechanical background. I just smirked to myself and told him more thoroughly all the things I have checked on my bike. He says i should check the compression. Well I don't have a compression meter and this thing only has 20k miles on it. What do you guys think I should do? Pursue repair or suck up my losses and try to sell it?

I don't understand....You're having a problem & now you "might" want to sell it? Bring it to the dealer & let them trouble-shoot it. A repair will cost a lot less then a new scoot.
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()