Author Topic: varaitor blown up  (Read 6230 times)

skippy

• View Profile
varaitor blown up
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
just a rant.... as you prob know the a50 is not running good. done 6 more plug chops today. from an 88 jet which was ok last week to an 95 jet today which half way through a loud noice and no transmition. looked down at the clutch cover pissing oil out. walked her home. took of the cvt cover and the varatior was lose and bits every where.took it all apart the varatior shims have gone so very sloppy on the boss. the stage 6 roller shims are flat on one side after 1 week i put them in only done 20 mile since.the folllowers on the plate are all broken. then narkau hq belt is slightly worn on one end thought that that had rubbed on the bendrix.

has anyone ever heard of this befor?

so it looks like its time to buy a multivator and try to get an oem belt. will ring the local kymco deeler and see if i can get oem belt.costing i could do with out

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: varaitor blown up
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »
What variator was it? Your stock one? Theyre hard as nails usually im sure if it was the stock?

Only thing i can think is maybe you didnt locktight the variator nut on when you were last in there and its worked loose? The variator would get trashed if that happened at 5000-8000rpm no probs i would think? What shims are you talking about too? I have no shims in mine at all? Never was any? And where did the oil come from?

Bummer whatever happened....isnt it your birthday as well? Happy birthday eh?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »
lol yes thanks for the wishes.

the shins...... in side the variator that contacts to the boss should be a a shim type thying that moves round the boss. thats all gone. worn away as when the varaitor is on the boss there is about 5m gapin between now.
 it was an after market varaitor of ebay a chinese coppy bought that as it came with shorter boss.
 the nut was on solid. had to impact wrench it off.
 dont know yet where oil came from.but cleaned up cvt and clean now so will have to check when she is up and running.

any one know where i can get a good cheep varaitor from in the uk. looked up MALOSSI MULTIVAR VARIATOR KIT but cheepest i can find is ebay £75. just sounds steep was planning £50-$60 so may be the polini variator but cant find any. all sold out

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »
what do you mean pissing oil out. theres something more wrong if your pissing oil out.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »
http://www.motorcyclesparesuk.com/product-p/VX513790.htm

£56 plus delivery, didnt check delivery price tho.

Think the pollini is pretty good too tho. I ran a chinese race variator for over a year, had no probs and its still good to reuse now. Gkt a little wear on it but it still seems fine and seems to work. Must have near 10,000km on it and it was under £20 off ebay. I would def contact the seller and ask for at least a full refund. Tell him it wrecked the rollers and belt etc too so you think he should pay for that too, or send you replacement belt and rollers. If its a bigger seller they tend to be ok sometimes.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 05:36:02 AM »
x 2 chinese parts works great on kymco scoots. theres a lot of parts you can swap out and use.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 07:34:07 AM »
what do you mean pissing oil out. theres something more wrong if your pissing oil out.

think it has started an old problem off had to use steel putty as there way a large hole in case behind the varaitor. think this explosion may have cracked it. but will check that later.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »
http://www.motorcyclesparesuk.com/product-p/VX513790.htm

£56 plus delivery, didnt check delivery price tho.

Think the pollini is pretty good too tho. I ran a chinese race variator for over a year, had no probs and its still good to reuse now. Gkt a little wear on it but it still seems fine and seems to work. Must have near 10,000km on it and it was under £20 off ebay. I would def contact the seller and ask for at least a full refund. Tell him it wrecked the rollers and belt etc too so you think he should pay for that too, or send you replacement belt and rollers. If its a bigger seller they tend to be ok sometimes.

thanks streido will have a look tonight

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
ordered the narkau variator from euroscooterparts. seemed the best option as slightly shorter boss and comes with 5.3g rolers which i was going to try anyway. just hope there good as a lot cheeper than the compertition, at £39.95 + post.
 im off work tuesday so if it comes in time can get it sorted. just hope that oil leak can be sorted and im not pissing money away...

just a 23100-keb7-9000 belt to find now. emaled local kymco dealer last night but no reply. there is some i have found but will take 3 weeks post. will keep looking

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
Could you not tap the hole where the leak is and screw in a bolt or screw with a rubber gasket/washer to seal it?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »
its a big ass hole. about the size of a 2 p  (20-25 mm) at the mo i have put some steel putty round> i say some .lots...
behind the variator there is a bolt with a hex style fitting. the hex has been rounded of by someone. then looks like a screwdriver has been hit with a hammer to tap the bolt round. but they missed bad.. strate through the casing.
 i took the bolt out last time than sanded down the area put the putty aroung and behind. just befor it set titened the bolt back then put another layer over.....then another etc held well..... untill now. looks ok now... i have cleaned it all again checked all oil seals. looks ok... will get the parts then run it. will see then if its leeking still,.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »
Man, sounds like someones bodged it up and sold it on to you after they knew they'd wrecked it  >:(

I doubt that stuff will hold it long, especially if your now running higher revs etc? If you knew someone with a machine shop you could prob drill it out to the size of an oil drain plug and thread it to screw one of them in? If it doesnt interfere with the belt of variator? Must be something online that you can buy to repair it? May be too large tho?  or have someone weld a plate over it, be difficult to weld it but i could be done.

Last resort, fix it up so it runs ok and trade it in for a newer one at a dealers  :-\
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »

Last resort, fix it up so it runs ok and trade it in for a newer one at a dealers  :-\

no chance lol heat and sole gon into my kimmie.lol may get some one to weld a plate over if its leaking again. the putty i got was for engine cases, but prob not for this size hole...

yes think some one did brake it then sell it on but only cost £250 so for a 2010 with 10500km when i got it was a bargin but with all the mods i will have spent close to same again. but what fun....

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 08:35:42 PM »
try jb weld.its a liquid weld you mix together. might work not sure how much heat it can take.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »
try jb weld.its a liquid weld you mix together. might work not sure how much heat it can take.

hello blue. its that sort of thing i have used but for engine cases. works like araldite two parts to mix to harden. the jb weld is like a soft putty but not recomended on engines. as you say may be temp or not resistant to oil?

think i have just taken over your bad luck since you rode and broke your shocks a fue months ago, your luck has got better ,mine has gone worse... think its someone elses turn now... ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()