Author Topic: Won't Start... Weird Noise  (Read 6151 times)

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
Won't Start... Weird Noise
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:21:43 AM »
Hey,

My Agility wouldn't start but made this kind of fast wurring noise when I did the electric start and wouldn't turn over when I did the kick start...  So...  I put in a new spark plug after pulling the old one and saw it was pretty well thrashed.  I tried starting it, again...  same result.  It's like the motor isn't even being told to try to start when I do the electric and the kick start still does nothing.

A new battery and new gas was put in recently.  Any ideas?  Suggestions? Sarcastic comments? Inappropriate gestures?
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

skippy

• View Profile
Re: Won't Start... Weird Noise
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23:27 AM »
Hey,
  Any ideas?  Suggestions? Sarcastic comments? Inappropriate gestures?

you know us so well ;D

have you got compresion?

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:12:17 AM »
I have no idea...  It won't even start.  So, I guess technically - no, I have 0 compression  ;D  But, seriously, I have no idea.  I've never actually seen this scooter running.  It sat unused for almost a year.  Poor lil' scooter...  I actually haven't even gotten it home, yet.  LOL  When I first said I'd buy it, it was under the assumption that all it needed was just the fresh gas, spark plug and new battery.  It was apparently running last fall with intermittent starting issues, but she said with a couple of kicks of the kickstart when those would occur, it would run like a top.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:15:09 AM by bootscooterboogie »

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »
If the kickstart does nothing then take off the cvt cover and check it out. Its prob just dirt and grime bunging it all up.

Sounds like there not enough power in the battery to me if its not turning the crank. Why did you put a new battery in it recently? Could be a charging problem.

If it is turning the crank i would check to see youre getting spark at the plug 1st.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »
If the kickstart does nothing then take off the cvt cover and check it out. Its prob just dirt and grime bunging it all up.

Sounds like there not enough power in the battery to me if its not turning the crank. Why did you put a new battery in it recently? Could be a charging problem.

If it is turning the crank i would check to see youre getting spark at the plug 1st.

I put the new battery in because of how long it sat for.  And the old battery was dead, because I wasn't even getting that wurring noise before.  LOL  Baby steps forward, I guess...  LOL  I'll take off the CVT cover and check it out.  When I do the electric start, it doesn't do anything accept that electric sounding wurring.  It won't even try to crank over.

How do I check to see if I'm getting spark to the plug?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
Spark at the plug test.....

I still think its down to a weak battery myself. You did charge up the new one when you bought it tho i guess? If not then thats prob the problem, every battery i bought needed a full charge before use.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »
I think you could have multiple problems going on at the same time :

The whirring noise is probably the starter motor running without the bendix extending : check your starter bendix, when driven, it should extend and engage its small gear with the gear teeth of your variator.... A little rust or dust will make it stick and it often works better after cleaning it anyway, so there's no effort wasted there... (you can lubricate it _very_ lightly with WD40 or just a drop of oil, don't turn it into a dust magnet again..)

The kick starter has a similar kind of friction system which extends a gear-like part when driven, that slide might also be stuck after a while of inactivity, same over here : clean it anyway, and lubricate it only very lightly to prevent excessive dust buildup.

When our scooters haven't been running for some time, the gasoline will have vapourized from the carb and it will be hard or impossible to start because the vacuum controlled petcock will only let gasoline flow when the engine is turned over pretty fast - even the electric starter has to work pretty good for this and it's almost impossible to achieve with the kickstarter - a quick cure sometimes is to take the small vacuum tube from the intake manifold and suck it for ten seconds or so...

Oh, and since we have a DC type CDI, which needs a steady 12V DC, the engine will simply not start with electric nor kickstart when the battery is empty or even undercharged...

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:32:36 PM by mono »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:08 PM »
Mono sounds spot on about the noise. It prob is just dirt, dust and gunk in the cvt if youve not cleaned in there for a while.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 02:53:55 AM »
Awesome!  Thank you so much for the advice, guys!  "Project De-Shmutz" will begin this weekend.   ;D

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 03:05:25 AM »
I have a friend of mine's father coming over this weekend to help me take a look at it.  He works on motorcycles and various other powersports vehicles for fun.  He said that it shouldn't take much to get it started.  I explained to him what was going on and he mentioned that it was maybe a short somewhere, too.  I took actual possession of the scoot today.  It was kind of funny watching me and a buddy load it into a mini van w/ the back seat still in it.  We couldn't get the side door closed, so we left the door open and rednecked it home.   :lol: My Agility's ass sticking out the side a bit...  bahahaha

Anyway, I'll keep y'all updated!

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 07:43:21 AM »
i prey that if you put her on her side in the mini van that you clampt the fuel hose. if not you will prob flood the carb and cylinder with fuel...
if so take the spark plug out for the day and let it evaparate.....

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »
Hehe - no need for prayers :-D  It actually stood up in the back of the mini-van.  I was really impressed.  I had to take the mirrors off and I also had to hold it in place w/ the brake on so that it wouldn't roll out the side of the van, but it stood up.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »
Hehe - no need for prayers :-D  It actually stood up in the back of the mini-van.  I was really impressed.  I had to take the mirrors off and I also had to hold it in place w/ the brake on so that it wouldn't roll out the side of the van, but it stood up.

what.... no seat belt?..... ;D

hope you get her sorted out and running soon

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:18 AM »
LOL - no, and she wouldn't fit in the child safety seat, either

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 06:08:59 AM »
I have a friend of mine's father coming over this weekend to help me take a look at it.  He works on motorcycles and various other powersports vehicles for fun.  He said that it shouldn't take much to get it started.  I explained to him what was going on and he mentioned that it was maybe a short somewhere, too.  I took actual possession of the scoot today.  It was kind of funny watching me and a buddy load it into a mini van w/ the back seat still in it.  We couldn't get the side door closed, so we left the door open and rednecked it home.   :lol: My Agility's ass sticking out the side a bit...  bahahaha

Anyway, I'll keep y'all updated!

Like this?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()