Author Topic: Fuel Filter Warning  (Read 1348 times)

Covelivn

• View Profile
Fuel Filter Warning
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:57:32 AM »
Yes I did not change my fuel filter as soon as was recommended and one day it would not idle.
Sure enough looked like filter had let some dirt pass soooo, had to take carb apart and clean. Still need to adjust the mixture screw a little but will wait till I need to service spark plug since it seems you can't get to that screw without removing plastic.
Don't try to save money (or get lazy on that filter). Maybe the alcohol in the fuel destoys these faster.
I wasn't born in Florida but I got here as soon as I could.

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Filter Warning
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »
how often is the recommendation?
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
EMCO fuel filters do have a problem with ethanol... the glue dissolves, I have read.

But a dirty fuel filter should not allow dirt to pass through, it should result is a blockage of fuel and poor engine performance.

So, I'd say that your dirty filter did result in bad idling but the dirt that got to the carb probably passed through the filter even when it was clean.

Just a total accumulation of very fine dirt  or gasoline residues.  It is best to buy gas from stations that sell a lot of gas and therefore have fresh gas.

And Cheapest gas may not be clean gas.

Shell gas seems to be the best for our bikes & scooters... even if their ecology issues are the pits.

scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Covelivn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:06:21 PM »
The owners manual shows to replace at 4300 miles but I agree it did look like the glue had dissolved some in about a year ( and 4935 miles). So I would replace once a year even if you did not have the mileage.
It is a little long but I made a purolater F21124 work. It was about $5 at the auto store.
I wasn't born in Florida but I got here as soon as I could.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()