Author Topic: DT300 tires and exhaust question  (Read 4993 times)

Rogereh

• View Profile
DT300 tires and exhaust question
« on: September 20, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »
Tires
I've just done a search on DT300 tire pressure and became aware that my new 2012 does not have the stock Kenda tires on it. The scooter has a pair of MAXXISIPRO tires from new. Are these tires any good?? I'm noticing a lot of road-find on the front tire. It wants to follow every little groove or formation on the road which makes handling somewhat unstable. I've checked the tire pressure and it's set at 29 PSI in front and 32 PSI on rear which is what the manual calls for. I'm tempted to lower the front tire pressure but I'm not sure how much would be safe, particularly in cornering? Or, maybe there's something not correct in the front end alignment?

Exhaust
I'm new to scooters, but I've had my share of motorcycles. My exhaust sounds something like plastic marbles swirling in a tin can. Is that correct or should I take it back to the dealer and question them about it?

gn2

• View Profile
Re: DT300 tires and exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:20:53 PM »
Maxxis make good budget bike tyres, you should be fine with them at the correct pressures.
How good quality is your pressure gauge?
Have you tried altering the rear suspension spring preload?
The swirling noise may just be the drive belt which rotates constantly with the engine.

Rogereh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »
Maxxis make good budget bike tyres, you should be fine with them at the correct pressures.

I noticed that they were nylon tires. I didn't realize that they still made nylon tire.

How good quality is your pressure gauge?

I have a fairly high quality digital gauge that is suppose to be accurate to a tenth of a pound.

Have you tried altering the rear suspension spring preload?

No, the rear seems okay. I'm experiencing trouble with the front tire.

The swirling noise may just be the drive belt which rotates constantly with the engine.

Coming from a motorcycle the exhaust noise is completely different.
    Thanks for the response.
    ~Roger

frankiej1949

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »
Hi Rogereh
I have the same problem with my downtown. The front tyre as you say wants to follow every little groove in the road. It is especially disconcerting for me as my commute consists of a lot of manouvering through two lines of standing traffic and its a nightmare as this is where the two stretches of tarmac join, manys the time I thought I had a flat tyre it was that bad and I am on the standard Kenda tyres.
Someone posted that they had fitted Michelin Power Pure SC, they are a dual compound. He said it transformed the handling of the scoot noticeably.
I am considering buying the Piaggio X10 as it has  neutral steering amongst other things (traction control and ABS) I find once the downtown gets in a groove the non neutral steering makes it worse.

Rogereh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
I was going to try lowering the tire pressure but decided to try a little higher first. It did seem to help some. I'm not sure if the Maxxi tires are to blame or if I have another problem. I've had this 300I since March of this year and it's just recently developed this handling problem. Does anyone know if there's any adjustment for the front end? Maybe some way to stiffen the steering a little?

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 07:44:29 AM »
A change to better tyres might do the trick.

Rudimentary fork tuning can be done by changing the weight of the fork oil and/or placing packing washers above the fork springs to increase the spring pre-load.
I would suggest you consider the rear tyre, strange as it seems a worn rear is more likely to cause headshake over joins and suchlike.
If the tyres are both within acceptable wear limits with the correct pressures and you have expiremented with the different rear shock settings and you don't have a heavy load in a top-box, have a look at the steering head bearings and check there is no play in them.
Do not overtighten them.
If all of the above is OK, then consider upping the fork oil weight, if that doesn't cure it consider the washer option.

Vivo

• View Profile

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »
Excellent tyres City Grips, but it looks like they're not available in the correct sizes for the Downtown.
http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/michelin-city-grip#tab-tyres-sizes

Rogereh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »
My tires have less than 400 miles on them. I'd hate to have to replace them so soon. I just use it for around town errands, no trips.

Thanks for the steering tips. Sounds like I need to talk to my dealer. I'd have done that first but they are new to handling Kymko (2nd year) and they don't have a lot of answers to my questions yet.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:37:10 AM by Rogereh »

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »
Don't know if they're readily available where you are but Michelin do the dual-compound Power Pure SC tyre in Downtown sizes.
http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/michelin-power-pure-sc?fromTyreSelector=true&fromTyreSegment=6

frankiej1949

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
Michelin UK do not have the correct size for the front

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »
I believe the front is a 120/80-14...?
Available from Oponeo for £42 with free delivery.
Linky

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »
Excuse me for resurrecting such an old thread but I'd like to add my experience as well. I've got the maxxis front tyre and it behaves just as you described. Wants to follow all cracks and thicker road paint as well. I've over 5000 miles on them and their profile isn't the best either. What is the minimum recommended thread depth, when to change? Under 2mm perhaps?
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
well not to has it out I run Diablos on my DT 300 for the price it's a good running tire front and back I have never had issues with groove riding with these tires :) I get mine from Mototcycle Superstore.com

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 01:36:59 AM »
  my 2 nd set of tires where diablows, very good tires , I tryed , power pures for the 3 rd. set of tires worked so well I have the 4 th. set of power pures on the scooter now,  I do some winter riding so I will try the michelin city grips WINTER,.   from the UK.not available in the usa and canada,.   in the right size  120/80 14 and 150/70  13, .

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()