Author Topic: How do you test a speedo on a People 50?  (Read 3343 times)

donut

• View Profile
How do you test a speedo on a People 50?
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:18:58 AM »
Have an '04 that I just replaced the cable and assembly (original rusted through) also replaced the lens as it was smashed.
Clock works but speedo does not...

Before I buy a new speedo (or used) both of which are pricey ... is there a way to further test the one I have?

Thank you!

juice

• View Profile
Re: How do you test a speedo on a People 50?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:23:10 AM »
With a GPS ?

donut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »
lol sorry, needle for speed not moving...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »
Take it you def have the right new cable fitted?

You can normally use a battery drill to test it. If you have the old cable just put the end of the inner cable in a battery drill, stick the speedo end into the speedo and switch on the drill. Also with the new speedo cable fitted, leave the speedo off, spin the front wheel and the inner of the speedo cable should spin if you look at the end, just in case you pulled the wheel end out when fitting it.

Last resort if cable seems ok and speedo needle moves on the drill is the cable end is wrong for the speedo.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

donut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
oh wow, my neighbor screwed the cable on and I had no idea the wrong end could be connected!
I'll try that first and then the drill test, but if the wheel end of the old cable is rusted through, how do you connect the drill?

donut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:25:33 PM »
Never mind duh, just watched a youtube on testing with a drill.. I do not have an end right now on the old cable but will try and cut back the outer sleeve to expose what I need to connect to the drill...

hoping this works as have about $500 into this $75 scoot! lol ...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:36:18 PM »
oh wow, my neighbor screwed the cable on and I had no idea the wrong end could be connected!
I'll try that first and then the drill test, but if the wheel end of the old cable is rusted through, how do you connect the drill?

No i dont mean he connected the wrong end. I mean the cable could be the wrong cable with a different shaped end where it goes into the speedo. Most have a squared end that pushes into a square hole in the speedo.

If you remove the speedo but leave the cable in and attatched at the wheel then spin the front wheel you should see the cable spin inside the sleeve at the speedo end. I would check that 1st. Spin the front wheel fast as you can.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

donut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »
thanks again, I will try spinning first.
cable should be correct as I helped take it off a parts People 50 myself...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »
If the inner cable doesnt spin then make sure its pushed all the way in at the wheel end.

If you have the old cable you can cut 12" off the end and use that in a drill to test the speedo too.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:30:34 AM »
I have a related off-topic story....

Our supplier from Thailand caught his salesman doing this...
The salesman leaves the office for field work using the company motorbike and in order to make sure that he does his rounds, the company records the odometer everytime he leaves and returns. But what he does is that he goes home, places the bike on center stand, instructs his son to turn the wheel for several hours for the odometer to turn, while he sleeps. In the afternoon, he reports back to the office. He should have done the drill trick instead... ;D

donut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »
Well, after trying and testing...

Even though the cable spun connected to the tire, speedo would not register...

Took it to the shop where I bought the used assembly, cable and they confirmed it SHOULD be working...

Got lucky they had a new assembly, so he tried it, wallah! working speedo.. so both my original and the used assembly were defective...

dammit, lol, the $75 scoot is now almost at $600 and most likely needs a new variator and belt! ... sigh ...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:19 AM »
Thats the only prob with unknown 2nd hand parts, you cant be sure they work.

Least its working now tho. You can buy stock variators pretty cheap online or just splash out on a performance one  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »
You should've just bought a cheap GPS.  Megellan's have a feature that lists
a screen with a 1 1/2" dia. digital speedometer,  time moving, time stopped,
miles traveled, etc. 

donut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
You should've just bought a cheap GPS.  Megellan's have a feature that lists
a screen with a 1 1/2" dia. digital speedometer,  time moving, time stopped,
miles traveled, etc.  

fair enough, but was not sure I was keeping this one (thought the speedo an important selling feature) ... but damn with all the new parts... and I really dig the Heidenau tires!

all told, spent about $60 to fix the speedo (used lens, used cable, new assembly)

on the variator, when perusing EBay, the "race" are not much more than stock, so any specific recommendations to buy and both improve speed while getting ready for an eventual upgrade kit?
and any specific belt that would be considered better than stock?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:23:41 PM by donut »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »
A Race variator should have different profile and longer roller ramps to allow the rollers to go slightly further out towards the edge and go there smoother.

There are lots of chinese copies of brand name parts out there, some good, some terrible. I got to say tho i did buy a chinese race variator early last year and it held up well. Did around 10,000 km + on it and its still in good condition now. I only swapped it out cos i got a better one to use. Still kept the old chinese one tho cos i will use it again at some point on something.  :)

Personally i stick to stock belts, they seem to last longest. Again personally i would avoid Kevlar belts, but some swear by them.....
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()