Author Topic: Great Scooter Seat Cushion!  (Read 8404 times)

MassScoot

• View Profile
Great Scooter Seat Cushion!
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
I thought I would post this in the "General" forum. I received my seat cushion for my Kymco GT300i on Friday. As most of you know, Kymco has never really made a soft seat (IMHO) I have an older AirVent (no longer in business) seat cushion that was decent, but not great either. I went with a large @ 14"x11" Fits my scoot fairly well. It looks very well made. The outside is made of neoprene & has memory foam & 3/4" of gel. With my frame @ 225lbs. (keep the fat jokes coming!), it works like a CHAMP! Before the football games yesterday, I took a appx. 75 mile trip & I must admit my ass felt great after I put my GT300i on it's center stand @ homebase. They are not cheap. I paid $89.95, plus $12.95 for shipping. For the $100.00+ investment, it's worth it! Just thought I would pass this along.

http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Ronnath

• View Profile
Re: Great Scooter Seat Cushion!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:01:34 PM »
I can't agree with you more about the brutality of Kymco seats.

(no fat jokes here - i'm within about 5 pounds of you)

Always wondered about the gel cushions and appreciate your comments.

Down in the Yager section i posted a photo how-to on butchering the Yager's seat, adding a sheepskin cushion, and just living with it.

It's been several hundred miles since i did that and my butt complains quite a bit less, but it still isn't a LazyBoy. Maybe a gel pad under the sheepskin? Dunno, might be worth a try.

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:24:26 PM »
Masscoot,
I have been looking at that same cushion but don't understand how i would fasten it to my existing seat. I see the little tab thingies hanging from the sides but don't see how they would adhere to the sides of the fatory seat. Are they velcro or sticky tape or just fit under the existing seat.
Thanks,
Mike

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »
Ronnath & Mike: To answer your questions.....It has like a 24" strap that will wrap-around the underneath of your scoot seat. Plus the under-side of the cushion has this material that keeps in in place no problem. I'm telling you.....It's well made! I didn't want an "Airhawk" because I simply don't like the "air" scenario myself (my call) It's really a damn-fine seat cushion! Ronnath...Too funny! I'm 47 & screwed-up my knee about 18 months ago & I'm trying to get back to 210lbs.! I'm walking about 3 miles a day, so I hope by next May, I'll be @ a somewhat respectable weight! We'll see.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:50:44 PM by MassScoot »

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »
Mike G: (soon becoming my favorite poster!) I didn't explain the strap too well. It's a nylon type of a strap. It works well. The thing is the seat "itself" has this unerneath backing that keeps it in-place. It's a win-win IMHO. If you're not happy, they said they would take it back (less shipping) I can tell you it's really a worthy purchase.

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:45:01 PM »
i can't believe the strap is really any different from the strap on the sheepskin cover i have:

(sorry about the size of the photo. granted the pic shows the cover on the majesty i used to have. but works the same on my Yager)

it just goes under the seat and fastens on the other side.

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »
Wellsaid!
Brother Masscoot so that even I can understand it's application. Sounds like exactly what i want/need. The dealer picks up my X500Ri in the morning. I'm not sure what's going to happen. The fairing on the right is scraped and could only be rebuilt with fibreglass or epoxy with a lot of skilled $hours. There is a big chunk out of the rear above the rear wheel. Both brake levers are bent. So most of the work would be expensive cosmetics. My neighbor who is a Kawa expert thinks they will total it. I hope that does not happen. I like this unit and most of all I trust this unit. Have you ever had the feeling that a motor vehicle did everything it was supposed to do in a time when it was needed? That's what happened with me and this scooter. She did what she was supposed to do. Maybe a little spiritual brake fluid thrown in. This is a dangerous mode of transportation or just fun and relaxation riding that I do. Even the slightest loss of concentration or unexpected event and you are hurt or worse. I learned ATGATT when I first bought the bike and have always ridden fully geared up and it paid off.
SO... ride it like you stole it! but ATGATT

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:54 AM »
Thanks Ronnath,
That picture really helped. So this is not rocket science. Good looking scooter by the way, are you sorry you sold it? It looks like it was a lot of fun.
Mike

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:44:23 AM »
Those Kymco seats are hard, especially on a longer ride. I got a Butt Buffer http://www.buttbuffer.com/index.php for my Grandvista and it has helped a lot on my skinny butt. I've only done about an hour on it at a time since getting it this summer, but we're supposed to have a longer group ride Saturday if the weather is good. I'll know more after that, but I have noticed a big improvement for just everyday riding.

I ordered a medium size in black. If you park out in the sun it will get warm and the gel seems to hold the heat so you feel that under you as you ride.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 02:42:36 AM »
I'm considering this mesh seat cover... air passes thru and makes your butt cool... any of you guys have experience with this?

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:50:48 AM »
Can I get it w/out the sheepskin?  Maybe just a smooth vinyl cover or something?  The reason I ask is because I'm a year-round rider and my scoot is exposed to all sorts of weather while it's waiting patiently for me to get out of work.  I'm a little concerned about the wear and tear of the sheepskin. 
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 12:54:19 PM »

I have ridden on a scoot with one of these. Softens the ride and breathes better because of the multi air cambers having gaps for airflow.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CG336/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041CG336&linkCode=as2&tag=kinderinfocom-20

2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »
I have ridden on a scoot with one of these. Softens the ride and breathes better because of the multi air cambers having gaps for airflow.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CG336/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041CG336&linkCode=as2&tag=kinderinfocom-20

I have heard good things about the Airhawk series. That's a good price BTW! I just didn't want "air" based seat cushion. The like the memory foam & gel combo myself. To answer Bootscooter....They are made of neoprene or sheepskin, no vinyl.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
Yeah, that is the cheapest I have seen the Airhawks with free shipping. I saw a seat covered in those wood beads like this. Would give you the airflow but you might slide off it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEU0IO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EEU0IO&linkCode=as2&tag=kinderinfocom-20
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()