Author Topic: Scooter knocked over  (Read 4485 times)

jerry2

• View Profile
Scooter knocked over
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »
I got a new (leftover) 2010 500 Ri last week and am loving it.  Today I rode it to the coffee shop and someone comes out and tells me it was laying on its side in the parking lot.  I had left it on the side stand, rear wheel brake not on, but on a slight uphill grade so it would take some kind of contact to lay it over.  The bike is white.  I was shocked that it had no fairing damage, just a little to the black under the foot area where it fell over.  When we examined the bike there was a tiny black mark on the left rear that makes me think someone backed into it and then took off when it fell.  Riding it home I noticed the throttle seemed to stick and saw the bar end was bent at an angle.  The bolt that runs through the bar end had bent in the fall.  I managed to loosen the bolt a couple of turns and operation went back to normal though still bent at an angle.

My impression is that this is one tough bike and well designed to protect the fairing in a fall.  I previously owned a Piaggio MP3 500 and if it went down the fairings showed it.  I have been a little concerned in parking the Kymco on a downhill or left to right slope.  Has anyone else had one go down while parked?  What were the circumstances?

Mike Green

• View Profile
Re: Scooter knocked over
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »
Hi Jerry2
and welcome to the forum. I bought a new 09 Xciting500Ri back in January at the age of 64 with no experience. I started riding short distances without a problem but the right hand turns would put me on the ground a couple of times. I accumulated a few scrapes and scratches along the way. My friend and next door neighbor races the big boys (MotoGP) and has a motorcycle dream garage. We purchased some paint and sand paper and before we could begin repair I had a pretty serious event with a deer and now the insurance agent is involved and the dealer is going to repair or replace. To answer your question I've never had the 500 fall off the side stand. So all my fairing damage was from learner's stupidity or unavoidable crash. It sounds like your damge needs only some 600-800 sandpaper and black magic marker. Wish I could say the same. Ride the hell out of it.
Mike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 03:05:04 AM »
I love my Super 8 because its black! lots of scrapes and it still looks new... thanks to sandpaper and black paint marker...

try this velcro wrap to secure your front brake also.... hope this helps...

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:07:42 AM by Vivo »

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 03:16:57 AM »
Note to self. Use center stand.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 03:20:40 AM »
Note to self. Use center stand.
Yes, and that too... plus unicorn piss for your new scoot... ;)

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 03:31:40 AM »
Yes, and that too... plus unicorn piss for your new scoot... ;)
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »
Sad pregnant unicorn.  The 100 octane uni-piss is the the awesome sauce.

The knocked up unicorn is the sad panda eating the tourist of the pregnant unicorn genre.   Can't wipe that pic off my eyeballs or some effer knocking over my scooter.

Kind of want scooter knocker over to have to look at the pregnant unicorn picture for a few minutes.
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:03:43 AM »
When we examined the bike there was a tiny black mark on the left rear that makes me think someone backed into it and then took off when it fell.

jerry2., you said a tiny black mark. Is the black mark the paint from the car that bumped the scoot? If it is, you can remove that by using a 2000 grit sandpaper and water.  Wet the sandpaper and rub lightly to remove the paint, make sure the sandpaper is always wet. Don't use rubbing compound or wax. It will just seal in the paint from the car and make it more difficult to remove. After this, you can apply wax and buff.

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »
I try to use the center stand whenever I can.  The times I don't is when I'm parked uphill.  That thing can be a bugger to try to get off the stand then.  Those are the times I use the side stand.  I always use the parking brake.

Have you tried one of those pads you put under your side stand?  I bought one as a souvenier from this place in tennessee (deals gap motorcycle resort) but you can find them anywhere that motorcycles are sold.  It really helps when the ground is soft or you just want a better footing.

I've even heard of people crushing a soda / beer can and using it for that purpose.

Ride safe.

Don in KC.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:55:03 PM by desliderman »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
If I park on a down hill slope, (slope down from front of the bike-forward), I use the parking break. What I try to do is to park on a slope that makes the rear tire a little lowwer than the front, (backward slope). The only way the bike could roll back wards is if the slope was really high/bad. It would have to drag the side stand along with the bike to roll or fall down.  :-*

jerry2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 05:18:13 PM »
The center stand is something of a problem for me.  I'm 5' 5.5" and weight 145.  So far I haven't been able to get it on the center stand.  In fact, I thinking about having some kind of lever or handle built to give me a greater fulcrum.  When I had the Piaggio MP3 500 I could barely get it on the center stand but there you have 2 front wheels that lock in place and keep the bike level.  This one is more difficult.

I guess I should give a little background on myself.  I never had a motorcycle before age 74.  I went through a couple and then bought the Piaggio.  At 75 I rode from Dallas to SC by way of TN and the Tail of the Dragon, 2,431 miles total.  My daughter didn't like me going alone but has given up on that.  I rode Dallas to New Orleans last year (531 miles in 1 day) and decided I had done enough long distance riding in 100 degree + heat and I sold the Piaggio.  That left me with a Honda PCX.  Someone stole that so I decided I should get something heavier that I could take on the highway.  That brought me to the Xciting, less than a month after birthday 79.  Don't let the numbers fool you; I'm in good health and the Xciting feels like the bike I should have.  I find it very comfortable except I am on tiptoes when stopped.

Thanks for all the repair information.

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
i am 6'1" and 260lbs.  It is a tough bit to get the 2009 xc 500ri on the center stand.  It is a lot harder to knock over on the center stand.  I had the last bike a 2007 xc 250 sink in my driveway and fall over during the monsoon.  It was on the centerstand and it still fell over. 

2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:20 PM »
For some dumb reason I stopped by the Harley Davidson Dealer on one of the busiest Saturdays  (It's one of the nicest stores in town).  They have a drive with angled slots for parking bikes only.   The problem is the whole conbobulation is slightly downhill.  Of course I headed straight in,  Walked away and my Xct. 250 just rolled forward enough to release the kick stand and it fell over.  What an embarassment.  I am glad to hear others mention raising the bike on the center stand.  I
too find it difficult usually only using it when I change the oil.  The tip here may be always park
uphill and slightly across the grade.  I don't have a Parking Brake.

jerry2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 12:45:53 AM »
The first thing I would have done is ask if there were any parking lot cams and figured out who the hell hit my scoot then left. Next, Called the cops for a hit and run or found where they lived at.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()