Author Topic: Scooter knocked over  (Read 4482 times)

desliderman

• View Profile
Re: Scooter knocked over
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 04:32:09 PM »
A friend once showed me the error of my ways on how I was putting my SYM 250 on the center stand. 

1.  Make sure you have a good grip on your bike.
2.  Push down on the center stand and let the bike lean fwd a little.
3.  When you feel the center stand making contact on both feet, Stand UP on the center stand.  The bike should go right up on the stand.

With the old way, I was always having the bike lean towards me a little.  I felt I had better control of it.  However, when I would finally get it up on the center stand it would pivot a little towards me and to the right.  That was what happens when all the weight is on one leg of the center stand.

Before I sold my 250 (397 lbs) I could put it up on the center stand with very little effort.

I hope that helps.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »
Ha, I have a 79 yamaha XS1100 (630 lbs dry weight+ saddle bags+ full fairing+full tank=680 lbs +/-) Im 6'2"/ 1.88m, 188 lbs/ 88 Kg +/- lol, I center stand it every where. Its all about the motion in the ocean, push down on the front as your kicking the stand down, then roll it back as you let the front up. Front brake lock helps a lot for them hilly lots when sitting.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

jerry2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
I'll give it a try.  I know it will take some technique I haven't learned yet.  The bike is 485 lbs dry and I am 145 wet.  Technique is required.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »

If this lady can put this 650 Burgman on the centerstand you can do it..

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »
Thats awesome, chick maybe weighs 100 lbs.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 12:24:23 AM »
Hi Jerry2
As a novice rider I remember my first serious drop occurred at the top of a sharp hill. When I reached the top I ran up on a stop sign. I was trying to balance the bike, look to my right and make the turn all at the same time. Well big bertha rolled back on me and flipped. A nice man stopped and helped me pick it up and I had some pretty bad scratches on it from the asphalt. It dawned on me that this would not be the last time I would drop this 500 lb chunk of plastic and motor. I started looking and thinking and came across these spool like attachments called "frame sliders". And all the Harleys and big boys had "crash bars" Could find nothing that was applicable to the maxi scooters. These would be perfect to prevent fairing damage but I don't know how or what they would attach to. Crash bars would probably require some special machining in a shop that could bend pipe. Anyway just a thought. Any ideas from the wrench heads out there would help. Thanks
Mike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 01:25:33 AM »
The first time I placed my scoot on center stand, it got off balanced and the handle bar placed a dent on my parked car's fender... an expensive lesson...

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 12:57:59 AM »
Hi Vivo!
Been there done that. except it was the side stand that I forgot to put down. By the way what are your thoughts on frame sliders or crash bars on a scooter. The down side is that there is a deficit of structural components to attach anything to. The plastic will break or bend and structural metal is not available in the areas that require protection. Apply your mechanical brain and see what you come up with.
Thanks,
Mike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 01:37:24 AM »
Mike,

Here is an example of DIY sliders here. They are made from engineering plastic and bolted at a convenient part of the scooter. Pictured here is a Super 8 with the slider attached on the foot peg/foot rest plate. It replaced one of the bolts there. I think the deficit is very minimal here because the part was designed to withstand the weight of a passenger. Plus, engineering plastic does not break, it's sort of nylon of some kind.  Some use the aluminum foot pegs of BMX bikes. Personaly, I don't like sliders because It limits my squeezing-in in between cars during heavy traffic. ;D If my scoot falls...well...that's destiny... ;D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:39:50 AM by Vivo »

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
Thanks! the application looks simple. We don't have the squeeze through problem too much here in the states so I might give this idea a try.
Mike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »
I don't know where to get engineering plastic there but here they're available at industrial parts/supply stores in chinatown.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
You ask for Delrin or Acetel.  Not good for Gluing.   Look for a Plastics
House such as United Plastics (Lima Ohio).  Comes in a wide variety of diameters
and can be quite expensive.  Machines better than Nylon. 

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 08:23:02 PM »
Thanks Vivo and yourbestfriend,
There are a mutitude of sliders available in the Motorcycle parts supply for Honda and Susuki sportbikes. Application to the XC500 should not be that difficult. I'm thinking about removing the passenger footpeg and bolting them on at that connection. I need to get the scooter back from the Dealer and then I will look at an application. It is going to be in pretty good condition and I want to protect the fairing from any future damage. Would still like to see a scooter/crash bar application.
Thanks, Mike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()