Author Topic: Starting my scooter.  (Read 1779 times)

heystevephan

• View Profile
Starting my scooter.
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
Whenever I start my scooter with the electric start I have to give it gas first. Is this bad?

Also Sometimes when im idling or stopped the engine just shuts off.

What could be wrong with it?

This is a kymco super 8 50cc 2 stroke

I just had my carbeurator cleaned, new battery, new airfilter and new spark plug. New synthetic oil as well.

Geehun

• View Profile
Re: Starting my scooter.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 01:13:48 AM »
sounds like your carb need some tuning. I had the same issue after bbk with cvt mods.

This is what PETERS said to me:

The mix screw is the smaller screw on the side of the carb. Turn the screw all the way in. Then back it out say 2 full rotations to start with. Then go either out or in until you get the highest rpms. Keep track of how many total turns out it is. Zombie is saying between 1-3 turns is where you want it. If it takes more than 3 turns, you need a bigger PJ. Once you do find the highest idle, then you adjust the idle speed screw(big screw) to bring the rpms back down to where you prefer the idle speed to be.

hope this helps

heystevephan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 05:30:24 AM »
sorry im alittle confused at what the highest rpms means. I turn it all the way in. Then maybe 2 rotations, Then out more till the highest rpm? Do I do 1-3 turns out from there?

This gives me the highest idle mixture right? But why would I want that. Is it okay to turn it up that much?

Also for the idle speed(big)what speed should i set it at. Is there like some cues I should be following.

THanks alot for the info though !!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 05:44:59 AM »
sorry im alittle confused at what the highest rpms means. I turn it all the way in. Then maybe 2 rotations, Then out more till the highest rpm? Do I do 1-3 turns out from there?

---  not necessarily 1-3 turns but just experiment turning in and out until you get the highest rpm

Once you're at the high rpm, go to the idle adjustment screw and adjust the idle speed. By the way, I assume that your scoot is on center stand because the high rpm will turn the wheel. Ok, so you now adjust the idle speed just enough to see that the wheel stops turning.

heystevephan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »
alright thanks alot! just to make sure, i will definitely be able to see when its at its highest rpm right? Like if i keep turning it and the wheel doesnt get any faster then i should stop right.

Thanks alot!!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 06:32:27 AM »
Yup... the proper rpm when the wheel stops turning...

heystevephan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 05:58:58 PM »
turns out for the super 8 2t I think there is a sealed mixtture screw. (http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=carb&action=display&thread=4840&page=1)  I could not for the life of me find the other screw so after some research i found out it was sealed and I needed to do that.
Should I go through all of this to solve my problem?

Can I just adjust the idle speed (stop screw) nstead??? How do I do it? Is there a way I can know how much to adjust it? Maybe without a tach.

Like you said adjust it till its not turning anymore but that does make sense because the clutch isn't engaged so the wheel wont turn anyways on the 2 stroke.

Geehun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »
Got to play it by ear. Or you could purchase a tach

heystevephan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 12:43:15 AM »
really no other way?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()