Author Topic: Bought a new People S 250 today  (Read 3787 times)

TeeMon

• View Profile
Bought a new People S 250 today
« on: September 29, 2012, 02:19:15 AM »
Well, I made the decision today after mulling it over for several weeks now.  The dealer had a 2009 Grand Vista (white) and a 2009 People S 250 in red.  No GT300i's but one nice GT200i.

The 2009 scooters are both brand new, unsold scooters with their full two year Kymco warranties.   They lowered the price from $4499 down to $3299 which helped me with the decision to buy the S 250 instead of waiting until possibly next year and find a GT300i which noone has in this area (checked with eight dealers).

It had zero miles on it and it is the beautiful red color.  I put 57 miles on it in the process of riding it home.

I am thinking about doing my own oil & gear oil changes but will need help from forum members and a couple of motorcycle friends who lives nearby.

It is totally different than riding my Burg 400 and it will require some adjustment on my part.

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Bought a new People S 250 today
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 02:26:10 AM »
Does your new scoot have new oil? If not, change the oil. Some additives may have deteriorated and separated from the base oil already due to age. Average shelf life of oil is 2 years IN THE ORIGINAL SEALED CONTAINER.   Welcome!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:30:26 AM by Vivo »

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 01:32:24 PM »
Does your new scoot have new oil? If not, change the oil. Some additives may have deteriorated and separated from the base oil already due to age. Average shelf life of oil is 2 years IN THE ORIGINAL SEALED CONTAINER.   Welcome!

The Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers I have spoken with tell me that oil has a 5 + year shelf life. Some oil producers will say 2 years to be on the safe side.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Shelf_Life_Opened_Bottles_Mobil_1.aspx
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:38:36 PM by old geezer »

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »
Vivo, the scooter was sitting on the dealer's floor and it had no fluids in it and no battery. 

When they wheeled it into the service bay it so happened that their side door was wide open (beautiful day) so I could see the mechanic setting up & prepping the bike with fluids, tightening things down, checking this and that.  They also had to charge the battery for it. He worked on it for quite some time and then the mechanic took it for a seven mile test ride and declared it fit and ready to ride.

And it rode nicely all the way home.

I don't know how old the oil and other fluids are that the dealer uses when they service bikes that are brought in.  But I've never had any problems with the motor oil, gear oil, brake fluid, or coolant that they've replaced on my Burg 400 over the years.

But I will keep an eye on them on the S 250 as it requires much more maintenance than my Burg does :(

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

ludo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
TeeMon,
Congrats on your new scoot!!
How does it compare to your Burgman 400?
Kymco Yager GT200i -
Totally awesome machine with anti-theft styling ;D

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »
Hi ludo, thanks for responding but it's too soon to tell.  I bought it late on Oct 29th and rode it home (about 50 miles).  I plan on taking it for a ride this morning but will stay on the local country roads in this area.   I still have to scrub in the tires and the brakes which I'm told takes about 100 miles of riding at an easy pace.  The scooter is brand new.

But based on my limited riding of the S 250 there is no comparison to my Burg.  The Burg has it beat in almost everything.  It is more comfortable, lower seat height; much more power; much more storage; better suspension; better instrument panel; has EFI; and so on.

But the S 250 is lighter and will probably be more fun to ride on short rides and into town.  Also, if my low back worsens and I can no longer deal with the weight  of the Burg, the S 250 will be my only ride.  I will sell the Burg.  But, hopefully, that is a long ways off.

My project now is to find someone nearby that can help me do my own oil & gear oil changes on the S 250 - it is definitely high maintenance in that respect compared to my Burg.

I was very tempted to buy the new 2009 Grand Vista that the dealer also had but the higher top speed of the S 250 sold me on it.

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »
My project now is to find someone nearby that can help me do my own oil & gear oil changes on the S 250 - it is definitely high maintenance in that respect compared to my Burg.

Not much of a project, in both cases it is two bolts to be removed and put back.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ludo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 07:19:58 PM »
Hi ludo, thanks for responding but it's too soon to tell.  I bought it late on Oct 29th and rode it home (about 50 miles).  I plan on taking it for a ride this morning but will stay on the local country roads in this area.   I still have to scrub in the tires and the brakes which I'm told takes about 100 miles of riding at an easy pace.  The scooter is brand new.

But based on my limited riding of the S 250 there is no comparison to my Burg.  The Burg has it beat in almost everything.  It is more comfortable, lower seat height; much more power; much more storage; better suspension; better instrument panel; has EFI; and so on.

But the S 250 is lighter and will probably be more fun to ride on short rides and into town.  Also, if my low back worsens and I can no longer deal with the weight  of the Burg, the S 250 will be my only ride.  I will sell the Burg.  But, hopefully, that is a long ways off.

I was very tempted to buy the new 2009 Grand Vista that the dealer also had but the higher top speed of the S 250 sold me on it.

Thanks for your post Teemon!
Coming from a Yamaha Majesty myself, I can understand the need for something lighter and more nimble.
Some padded seat (gel or air) can maybe help with back problems.
Enjoy your S250!!
If I were slightly closer (I am in San Jose), I would definitely help you with oil change :-(
Kymco Yager GT200i -
Totally awesome machine with anti-theft styling ;D

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
Not much of a project, in both cases it is two bolts to be removed and put back.

Or, three bolts and a dipstick, if we're summing both projects, as it were.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:38:36 PM by jprestonian »

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 11:36:16 PM »
Took it out for a 50 mile ride on the local roads so I think that the tires & brakes are "scrubbed in" enough now.  I enjoyed it more during today's ride than when I rode it home from the dealer and trucks were trying to run over me on the highway.

ludo, I used to live in the Bay Area (Dublin & then Castro Valley) and I made frequent trips down to S. Jose.  I really enjoyed riding down to the Road Rider store on Monterey Highway and spent a small fortune at that store.  I miss going down there. 

I might look into buying a slightly larger wind screen but not the Givi.  Also, I think that my extra Givi mount will work on the rack so that I can use my Givi Flow top case on both my S 250 and my Burg. 

Motor oil and gear oil changes might be very simple for some folks.  But for me it is a huge challenge.  I do not have any mechanical abilities and I do not have more than just simple tools.  And I don't own or know how to use a torque wrench to re-install the drains bolts. 

But worse, my right hand, which was formerly my strong hand, does not work very well after sustaining three injuries and undergoing three surgeries.  I have limited flexibility; strength; and grip with it.  I can't use a hammer and have great trouble using a screwdriver.  That's why my bikes have to go to the dealer for service; repairs; and modifications.

But I'm hopeful that two friends who live nearby can show me how to use a torque wrench and help me with the oil changes.
Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
Or, three bolts and a dipstick, if we're summing both projects, as it were.  ;)

Four and a dipstick, you need to remove drain bolt and wire mesh filter bolt to drain engine oil and dipstick to pour the new oil in and there are two different bolts used to drain and replace final gear oil. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 01:40:33 AM »
A couple of replies to my post,  comments made it sound like the oil & gear oil changes are very simple.  Remove the bolts/plugs, drain the old oil, re-install the drain bolts, fill in with new oil and it's done!

No mention of torquing down the drain bolts to a "proper level". 

Am I correct that some home mechanic members don't bother to use a torque wrench and their scooters don't leak oil and there is no damage to the aluminum engine block by possible overtightening?

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
A couple of replies to my post,  comments made it sound like the oil & gear oil changes are very simple.  Remove the bolts/plugs, drain the old oil, re-install the drain bolts, fill in with new oil and it's done!

No mention of torquing down the drain bolts to a "proper level". 

Am I correct that some home mechanic members don't bother to use a torque wrench and their scooters don't leak oil and there is no damage to the aluminum engine block by possible overtightening?

I have never used a torque wrench all my life... broke some bolts tho... experience, the best teacher...

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
TeeMon,
I live in Fairfield and own a 2006 People 250.  I do all of my own maintenance.  You're welcome to come over and I'll show you how to do this stuff.  If you're not up to twisting the wrenches, I'll be glad to help.
What say you?
Greg
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 01:30:47 AM »
Greg,  Wow! Thank you for your offer.  Yes, I definitely would like to meet up with you soon.  I've only put 102 miles on my scooter so far and I won't be riding it for about a week and a half as I will be on a trip.

After I return we can get in touch and set up a meeting.  Please feel free to send me a private msg.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()