Author Topic: Driving in the rain.  (Read 4059 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Driving in the rain.
« on: September 30, 2012, 05:57:43 PM »
When you get caught by the rain with only 1 mile left in your trip but no time to spare, do you drive like normal, speed up so you don't get too wet or slow down altogether?

I found myself in the rain today for the first time and was very tempted to speed up. Being on my way to work I didn’t want to sit in work all day soaked. What I wound up doing was slowing down a great deal in the turns and going a bit faster on the straights.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

blue

• View Profile
Re: Driving in the rain.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
Be safe and go slow on all wet roads.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
When you get caught by the rain with only 1 mile left in your trip but no time to spare, do you drive like normal, speed up so you don't get too wet or slow down altogether?

I found myself in the rain today for the first time and was very tempted to speed up. Being on my way to work I didn’t want to sit in work all day soaked. What I wound up doing was slowing down a great deal in the turns and going a bit faster on the straights.

I saw an episode of Mythbusters where they were testing going slow vs. speeding in the rain, and measured the amount of water soaked into the clothes.
It was almost EQUAL.
So, it is the same whether you speed, slow down or continue at the same pace. Under the circumstances, I would slow down regardless of the fact that it does not seem logical.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
Go slow and be safe.  Better to get there wet than not at all.  By the way, there are really cheap rain suits - under 10 bucks at Wal-Mart, Bennys, etc, that will fit easily under the seat of my scooter - nice insurance, just in case.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »
Thanks for talking some sense into me. I've had the cheap"o" rain gear in the back of my head for some time now but always forget when I'm out around WalMart.

I do keep a plastic bag in storage but being (today) I was so close I just figured the time spent stopping to put it on would get me that much more wet.

Will certainly slow down next time out, weather man and weather.com suck.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
I usually look at the radar, and sometimes use weather.com's look-ahead radar map predictions, especially as it's pretty good for projecting the next hour (about the time of my commute). If it's dicey, I put on the rain gear before I leave.

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
As I live in the north of Scotland I always ride in waterproof textile bike gear so if it rains it makes no odds to me whatsoever.
When its wet I don't lean as much in corners and brake differently, but speed remains much the same.
Rain just isn't a problem, the thing that concerns me more is risk of snow or ice.
Hopefully that's a good while away yet.

InfernoST

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 10:32:56 PM »
I change my riding style to adapt to the rain safely by going slower leaving a larger distance for stopping safely while avoiding all metal road plates, manholes, any and all painted road surfaces as all of these items can be a slick as ice when wet especially when braking. I'm not to worried about getting wet I'm more interested in getting to my destination in one piece, if the opportunity does present itself I will pull over and put on my rain gear, again not on the top of my priority list when I'm caught in the rain.
-Keith-

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
I usually look at the radar, and sometimes use weather.com's look-ahead radar map predictions, especially as it's pretty good for projecting the next hour (about the time of my commute). If it's dicey, I put on the rain gear before I leave.

I looked at weather.coms hour by hour forecast and it was very clear 1 PM no rain "0%" chance 2 pm same, 3pm and so on until 7Pm when it sait 30% chance until 9PM. I get out at 10 and it was mmostly clear again by that time. Thought I might see some left over showers on the return trip but then it doesn't matter to me too much.

I left the house at 1:30 and by 1:40 I was in the thick of it just 4 miles from my house. Oh well, I made it safe and sound.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 02:21:42 AM »
Rain and flood is part of my daily riding life... it rains even during summertime... unless there's a storm or monsoon season, rains would just last around a few minutes.  I just pull over to a covered place, a gas station maybe or under a bridge, wait for the rain to stop then proceed. If heavy rain clouds are all over, I put on my rain poncho and proceed...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »
Be more concerned about the road conditions than getting wet. The first 30 minutes of rain are the most dangerous as all the oils in the road come up making the surfaces slick. Like everyone said slow down and do everything you can to keep the bike upright on turns as oppose to leaning. I was caught in a moderate rain fall last week but the roads were slick as a grease.

Glad to hear you made it to work. I'm going to risk the rain tomorrow -- if it rains. Yahoo weather sucks most of the time, but if I take our car my wife will have nothing for herself.

- Wolf

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:38:19 AM »
What realy sucks is rideing in the rain and the dark.talk about slow rideing .Its bad enough trying to watch for road kill and get home safe.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 03:00:21 AM »
Been raining here everyday for weeks...  :(   

Covelivn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
If riding to work on any kind of basis try to have a change of cloths there. Even when you think you are beating the weather and you are ( like me) too lazy to stop and put on the rain gear, then realize 2 minutes into the storm you are soaked. At least you can slow down, take all the advice given and change at work.
P.S. don't forget the underwear. Nothing like working all night  in dry cloths but forgot your shorts might get soaked.
Covelivn
I wasn't born in Florida but I got here as soon as I could.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
Been raining here everyday for weeks...  :(   

Sent some of that rain this way we need it are rivers and streams are all dryed up.fishing and hunting is going to suck this year.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()