Author Topic: Slippery when Wet?  (Read 2098 times)

Scootaloot

• View Profile
Slippery when Wet?
« on: October 02, 2012, 01:42:42 AM »
Crossed over 10k on friday. put on 174 miles with about 90 of them in the wet. I was in hard rain which was much fun :'( sarcasm insert here. The disconcerting part was it felt as though the belt was slipping. The backend never walked out  so I am pretty certain she wasn't hydroplaning. Is it possible to get water into the belt area? I wouldn't think so. I realize that she is getting close to needing a new belt but this is still a little early. Thanks for any insights :)

Wiz

• View Profile
Re: Slippery when Wet?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:38 PM »
My GT300 has just over 1k and it did the same thing in the rain. At a steady throttle the engine would suddenly rev up but speed stayed the same. I was going about 65 MPH on highway and had no loss of traction so I also think it was the drive belt slipping.
When I get a chance I will bring it in to the dealer and have them look at it under warranty.
Current Ride: Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:30:22 AM »
It happened again today! Really ugly weather all day. Mid 30's and fresh wet snow on grass. Drizzle until about 2 but heavy rain rest of day. Belt definitely slips! Belt was new yesterday! The plastic cover over the metal belt case doesn't keep water out. The opening in the metal case has nothing over it unlike my old BV. It is a tad bit dangerous when you can't climb grades close to speed in traffic. I am going to contact dealer and DOT if necessary. Last fall I dismissed it as the belt had about 10K. This brand new Kymco belt has .1k. Please be careful! I don't think this is a one in a million deal and I am not a kid riding stupid although anyone seeing me today would have thought that if that guy had another neuron he could have a synapse ;)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »
I would check that belt of yours. Regardless of the amount of water on the road (trust me, I have been driving scooters 365x24 for the past 15 years including snow and rain), the belt will not slip. If it slips it is more likely there is oil or grease on the belt (for example, on my brand new P250S there was a bad weld on the engine casing causing oil to drip into the belt casing area).
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »
Axy, This happened with two separate belts. When I did the belt change I went through and cleaned everything before putting her back together. It only happened two times while riding in heavy rain and not driving through deep puddles. I really think water is getting in as soon as its dry the problem is gone. One of the belt casing bolts was rusted badly and it was in the lowest point near the opening.Dealer will take a look but I think the fix will be to come up with a filter over opening or better sealing plastic cover.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 01:54:44 AM »
    when it slips again, I would take it to the dealer or home and take it apart before it could dry up ,. then you would know for sure,. on my scoot, my belt was to long I think,. 1010mm. the new belt I got is 1004mm. and my RPM droped 5 to 600 RPM.     I rode several times through heavy rain and never had your problem, 

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:21:42 AM »
My experience was, when I waded on high waters... around a foot high... the engine would rev down and I have to twist the throttle to rev the engine, as in "shifting" to lower ratio since it would be more difficult for the scooter to pass on deep waters.  The deeper the water, the higher the rev and the slower the scoot... there was a feeling of belt slipping..but it's not...

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
Vivo, the scoot while this is happening won't climb grades or carry 55 on the flat. The dealer ordered the belt and I only measured the width. In dry she is working perfect. I will get to dealer at some point but have put on >1000 miles in the last 8 days. Its Landscape crunch time :)

Dibber

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »
The only slippage I have experienced is when I ride through a flooded section of road and I mean deep like floorboard level then it cleared up shortly after.  Check belt to make sure it is still within measurment tolorences.  I don't have a GT300, so it maybe just one of those things.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()