Author Topic: dead  (Read 5317 times)

skippy

• View Profile
Re: dead
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
sounds good. dont know where to find a small sheat of metal though. will have to have a look around.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »
I wouldn't use larger diameter screws than 3..4mm, there's almost no force to withstand, and the less material you have to remove the better...

I would also consider the use of self-tapping screws. They seem to produce less debris than tapping a thread in a hole - which is an advantage if you're working on a closed crankcase that you don't want chips of aluminium to fall into..

Also, I would use aluminium sheet instead of steel since it will have the same expansion coefficient as the crankcase, minimizing the chance that it will work itself loose or break the sealant after a number of heat cycles...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:21:29 PM by mono »

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
I wouldn't use larger diameter screws than 3..4mm, there's almost no force to withstand, and the less material you have to remove the better...

I would also consider the use of self-tapping screws. They seem to produce less debris than tapping a thread in a hole - which is an advantage if you're working on a closed crankcase that you don't want chips of aluminium to fall into..

Also, I would use aluminium sheet instead of steel since it will have the same expansion coefficient as the crankcase, minimizing the chance that it will work itself loose or break the sealant after a number of heat cycles...

+1 Everything he just said  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 08:52:17 PM »
Most motor factor shops will have a sheet of mild steel for car body/floor repairs, wont be dear. Or look for a local sheet metal shop and ask in there, theyd maybe have an off cut for free.

Dont know if this would fit but......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KYMCO-VITALITY-50-ENGINE-/130750305852?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e7153563c

Or any of these?......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JM-Star-Madness-50-JSD50QT-13-Jonway-Complete-Engine-50cc-/130774231396?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e72c06964

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Direct-Bikes-50cc-Engine-Stand-11967-/130692973300?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e6de882f4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/direct-bikes-50-cc-engine-/110963935671?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19d5f749b7

yer ive seen all those and messaged the sellers they either engine mounts in wrong place or short case. so would have to put a 10" wheel on to make it work. there is a fue about but all short case. the cvt cover is 1.5" shorter than our engines.

i was going to buy one to use the crank case thing to use on my engine but would be to small.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »
right ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
just got back home with a 55 plate agility 50. was sold as spair or repair. owner could not get it started. for £190. a quick look shows there is no spark. so will take the engine out tomorrow and put it into my 2010 plate agility. prity sure it will start up with my electrics. cant wate. then ill keep looking for a cheep engine for this 55 plate and do that one up.with any luck ill be back on the road tomorrow. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »
Nice. Got my fingers crossed for you that it works  :D
What mileage was on the 54 plate? Was it derestricted or still restricted?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »
Nice. Got my fingers crossed for you that it works  :D
What mileage was on the 54 plate? Was it derestricted or still restricted?

55 plate. 11000.... restricted...red...

ok put engine in my scoot... no compresion... dammmm. realy hard to turn over.. took head off and piston sezed. scored burnt, and would not rotate on gudion pin.so couldnt get piston off the crank shaft.( there was no oil at all)...so i have spent the day stripping both engines down. top and bottom, god i hope i can put it back together again. just finished on second engine strip.was so suprised. only took 1 hour to strip all top end down. going to use the piston and head of my old agility. in fact i will be using every thing from my old except from the cvt engine casing as that is the damaged part from my old scoot.
will have to look for a gasket set tomorrow so i can finish it.

one question though all bottom end gaskets are what looks like paper. if i cant find a gasket set tomorrow would instant gasket stuff hold?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:28:30 PM by skippy »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »
Yeah a lot of scoot gaskets are made of gasket paper. If you cant get a gasket set you can usually buy a sheet of the gaakwt paper and cut out your own using the old gaskets as templates. You really better fit a gasket in there and not just use sealant, use sealant too, butdef use a gasket. You dont want to rebuild it then have to strip it back down if it leaks bad.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
Some small auto stores keep the gasket paper in stock, i know cos i got some a few weeks ago to make a carb gasket for the Vespa.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
yer i know the paper stuff well. i used it a fue times in the past. put it on the block and use a hammer to tap round to cut it out. never lasted long though.
 how is the vespa? she running again?

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »
there is a shop in a place calles dj s shirebrook about 5 mile away. he is the one that has lots of vespas. but has most things in stock for the chinese bikes. so he should have one in. will see tomorrow. just want job done tomorrow while fresh in my mind where things go etc. if i order on and wate it will be next week befor i can get it done. fingers crossed..... although all the bad luck i have realy enjoyed today playing. just hope it breaths again.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 08:42:38 PM »
You better just MAKE it breathe again or the wife will kill you  :D

Vespas running like a swiss watch now. Had an air leak on the carb gasket and a leak on the fuel line gasket so now thats fixed its going the best it ever has. Its a pleasure to ride it every day and i can even overtake going up hills  ;D

If i had my time again i def wouldve got a 2stroke 50cc, i need it for the hills round here.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 08:22:46 AM »
she already hates me for it. i started out to buy a cheep scoot. £250 for scoot 1 ran what 6 month spent £200 or over derestricting and exhaust etc. now £190 for another scoot that was fecked. thats an exspencive cheep scoot. but still ill still look far a cheep engine to put in this 55 plate then my son can use that and we could cause havak on the streets together. ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()