Author Topic: dead  (Read 5318 times)

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
Re: dead
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »
If it was me rather than keep throwing money and not being sure if it's definitly going to solve your problems, I would put both bikes on eBay and put the money towards a brand new machine I think at £1070 on the road with a 2 year warranty you can't go wrong, they save you that in public transport in the first year alone, let's say you can raise £250 for both scoots selling them for spares you would need £820 towards the new scoot even if you finance that over the 2 years you would be talking less than £5 a week that's one days bus/train fair these days. plus no more worries about repair bills as you will have your warranty no mot for 3 years and will not need tyres or other wear and tear items as everything is shiney and new. compared to running a car for the last 18 years scootering feels so cheap I will probably just buy a new kymco every 3 years simply because if you start taking into account mots, tyres, drive belts etc that will start needing replacing as the scoot gets older you would not be far off the cost of a new machine, I think after 3 years and 30,000km you would have had your money's worth anything longer is a bonus. I would not go with any other manufacturer now as in the last 18 months of owning both  scoots I have never had a days trouble out of mine or my wife's kymco's. previously we had new peugeot and scoots and both had there faults and could not rely on them seems since they went to china for production, i have owned quite a few scoots over the years and none worse than the new peugeots even my boatian was far more reliable. I know some kymco's are now made in china but at least the quality is still there were as Peugeot seems like its all about cost cutting and max profit....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:37:39 AM by kisbee »
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
shes alive.....

thats it had to make the botom end gaskets out of gasket paper and sealent. worked a treat...
but the top end used the old gaskets. (not a good fix) got her running smoth but a little oil leaking from under the piston block into the crank case. so i have ordered a top end gasket set and will strip top end down in the weak. still victory dance time....

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 08:49:12 PM »
If it was me rather than keep throwing money and not being sure if it's definitly going to solve your problems, I would put both bikes on eBay and put the money towards a brand new machine I think at £1070 on the road with a 2 year warranty you can't go wrong, they save you that in public transport in the first year alone, let's say you can raise £250 for both scoots selling them for spares you would need £820 towards the new scoot even if you finance that over the 2 years you would be talking less than £5 a week that's one days bus/train fair these days. plus no more worries about repair bills as you will have your warranty no mot for 3 years and will not need tyres or other wear and tear items as everything is shiney and new. compared to running a car for the last 18 years scootering feels so cheap I will probably just buy a new kymco every 3 years simply because if you start taking into account mots, tyres, drive belts etc that will start needing replacing as the scoot gets older you would not be far off the cost of a new machine, I think after 3 years and 30,000km you would have had your money's worth anything longer is a bonus. I would not go with any other manufacturer now as in the last 18 months of owning both  scoots I have never had a days trouble out of mine or my wife's kymco's. previously we had new peugeot and scoots and both had there faults and could not rely on them seems since they went to china for production, i have owned quite a few scoots over the years and none worse than the new peugeots even my boatian was far more reliable. I know some kymco's are now made in china but at least the quality is still there were as Peugeot seems like its all about cost cutting and max profit....

TRUE but its a sentametal thing. love my kymco. but now its working i will need to strip the top end down again but that will only take an hour or so. but for £650 i have a 2010 agility thats hevely derestricted. to find one it would prob cost £600 so only £50 down but have a nere perfect engine and my time but i now have the knolage of the whole engine. every nut and bolt. that to me is worth more than money. and on the pluss side all i need is an engine for the other scoot. then my son can have one as well. ill keep looking out for one. so for another £200 i can have 2 agilitys for £850. ;D

ok im starting to think i have an agility problem. is there an aa for that?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:52:35 PM by skippy »

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
TRUE but its a sentametal thing.

+1  ;D

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 09:46:23 PM »
ok im starting to think i have an agility problem. is there an aa for that?

Agilitycollectors Anonymous.... Count me in .. ;D

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
The problem I have is I need reliability to get me to work on time and my only transport is my scoot or a bicycle for my 18 mile round commute, if I thought my scoot was a bit tempremental I would end up allowing for this and leaving for work a good hour before I needed to just incase, saying my scoot had broken down again just would not cut it in my place of work, the only way I could manage with a older less reliable machine is by having a seconed road worthy scoot as a back up so if I thought one was starting to play or failed to start that day I could jump on the other. This is the only reason I prefer a newer machine but if times carry on getting harder I may well have to start getting my hands dirty maintaining an ageing scoot. Gone are the days when I could afford a new car every 3 years and it looks like the days when I can afford a new scoot every 3 years are also coming to an end.....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »
Old school is much better imo, less plastic, more metal, give me steel control cables over electronics and hydraulics any day. These days its all sensors and chips, we wont have classic cars and classic scoots made after the 80's-90's in the future.

I also prefer vinyl to cd/mp3, FM radio beats digital, manual beats automatic and old Black and White movies are good too.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
Old school is much better imo, less plastic, more metal, give me steel control cables over electronics and hydraulics any day. These days its all sensors and chips, we wont have classic cars and classic scoots made after the 80's-90's in the future.

I also prefer vinyl to cd/mp3, FM radio beats digital, manual beats automatic and old Black and White movies are good too.

+1.to many electrics ie ecu chips etc make things harder for dionostics.  mechanical is much better not as economical ( injection etc can be tuned better but give me old mecanics any day.
 not with you on the vinyl though. but cds are pants as easy scratched. but finding a track on a mps or something is hell. you cant lose your vinyl lol

im at the point with the agility where i cant see how it will ever realy die. there is nothing that cant be fixed with a little time. even something like a piston change only takes an hour or so. and costs around $20 for piston and gaskets. there is only electrics i have not got a clue with. but sure when i have an electrical problem there will be help on hear as there has been with everything els. all my knolage of my agility 50 has come from here. never thought id have the guts to do a total engine strip and rebulid(tob and bottom engine) but thanks to everyone on here and all you suport  i could do it with ease. and its one thing i would recomend for everyone to do befor they die. one for the bucket list ;D. thanks again everyone.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
Yeah, pat yourself on the back bro  ;)

I havent done a full engine rebuild yet but when the time comes i will. Even tho i had riden scoots in my teens i never ever knew hkw to fix anything much till i got my Kymco. After i had that and joined here i went from a total noob who knew nothing to where i am now, a total noob who knows somethings  ;D

I dont have any fear of trying to fix anything now, and i got 2 scoots now too so in theory i should always have at least one to ride to work unless i get real bad luck one time.

You may get a few niggles for a couple of weeks till you iron out any small gremlins but sounds like you did good.  8)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »
another update... well gasket came fitted it. started up first time no leak.... but the fat lady not sang...went for a run about 2 mile then it stalled would not start again... walked it home... thought its got to be either carb or something in the cvt. well checked the cvt first nothing wrong so carb... took idle jet out and blew through it and it was blocked so blew harder and freed the crap out. put back together and all good... went for another run and all seems good. will try again for a run tomorrow befor the victory dance. ;D fingers crossed

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
You may find it will bung up again in a few days or weeks, i had to blow my idle jet out on the vespa a good few times over a couple of weeks till i got all the crap out the system. Should be fine tho.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
well ran it to work ang back today. all seems good. seems to be missing a little power though. may need to bed in a bit. also front brake keeps sticking abit for a fue min. so hope the caliper piston comes free abit. a bit of back fire( poping when i take off full throttle.
at least its running again can tune up in my own time now.... gone back to standered air filter for the moment while i get it sorted also 82 jet .

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »
The front brake will just need greased, mine was the same till i copper greased all pins, the sliding bit and back of the pads. Dont pump the brake lever when its apart too much cos it will push the pistons out and they can be a hassle to refit. And use copper grease cos when i tried other greases they only lasted a week or so then they stuck again, copper grease fixed it and been fine for months now.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 06:25:41 PM »
did all that not so long ago. one pistin is slightly coraded thats why it sticks. after being stood a month or so i think its just stuck again but come monday in changing lots of bits from one bike to the other. all plasticks better on this 55 plate bike so will change them.will go from silver to red. but will rub down the silver panels and prep them for when i fancy painting them. so much to play with and not enough time...

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »

Copper grease on the brake pistons will swell the seals and can make them stick even more after some time.

Since brake fluid is glycol based, the brake piston seals are made of a different kind of rubber, resistant to glycol/alcohol like substances - but because of that, it swells from mineral oils, the same way that normal oil seals swell from brake fluid....

Copper grease is fine for the back of the brake pads and the guide pins though, but you should only use silicone grease or special brake grease for the brake pistons...

Take care, your brakes are your best friends  ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()