Author Topic: Cold weather starts  (Read 4572 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Cold weather starts
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
How well does your scoot start in cool or cold weather? here in NJ the daytime temps are still in the 60-70's but when I'm heading home from work at night they are droping into the upper 40's and 50's now. I keep my scoot on a trickle charge every couple of days so the batt. is strong, just wondering if the scoot will fail to start in colder weather.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

blue

• View Profile
Re: Cold weather starts
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
with the right jets and sit up you should be good. Mine startes but it starts hard and need to let it worm up befor take off.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
Mine is all standard, stock or original equipment and I don't tinker with my scoot. What say you?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »
I use to own a 2006 Kymco People S200 (163cc w/ a carb.) & I always kept it on a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. float charge (regardless of the weather) I used Stabil & Startron ethanol fuel treatment every time I filled-up. Even when it was 40+ degrees out, she would start within 3 pulls. What Kymco model do you have? If it's fuel-injected, you're much better off!
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:15:28 PM »
I use to own a 2006 Kymco People S200 (163cc w/ a carb.) & I always kept it on a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. float charge (regardless of the weather) I used Stabil & Startron ethanol fuel treatment every time I filled-up. Even when it was 40+ degrees out, she would start within 3 pulls. What Kymco model do you have? If it's fuel-injected, you're much better off!

Same as you only 2009. so 3 shots on the starter button or 3 kick starts? I pull start my outboard and lawn mower??

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:59:42 AM »
No problems so far with my 2009 XCiting 250 with fuel injection.  We've had a couple of mornings in the mid 40's and she started right up...first push of the button.  No additives, no battery tender...but then I ride most every day.  Keeping my fingers crossed as this weekend may hit 32 in the morning.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:48:49 AM »
My Super 8 starts fine at any temp. Quick twist of the throttle, press starter, engine cranks 1, engine starts....  all stock, no additives, mineral 15/40 oil,  no battery tenders, have a 9 amp battery instead of the stock 7 amp, and 97 Octane fuel... sometimes 100... ;D

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 03:35:20 AM »
No problems so far with my 2009 XCiting 250 with fuel injection.  We've had a couple of mornings in the mid 40's and she started right up...first push of the button.  No additives, no battery tender...but then I ride most every day.  Keeping my fingers crossed as this weekend may hit 32 in the morning.

Thanks, I think the fuel injection has an advantage over the carb. and Vivo I don't think it gets too cold in the islands unless your in the high hills.

So far so good with mine but I don't want to find out the hard way one night.

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 03:41:55 AM »
My Agility 50 has a rough time in the cold.  When it gets below 50 degrees fahrenheit, the electric start will not work and I have to kick start it a bunch of times while playing with the throttle to get it to start.  And then, I have to let it warm up for about 10 - 15 minutes or it'll stall when I try to go anywhere.  :-\  She just hates mornings, is all... 
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 03:49:47 AM »
Thanks, I think the fuel injection has an advantage over the carb. and Vivo I don't think it gets too cold in the islands unless your in the high hills.

So far so good with mine but I don't want to find out the hard way one night.

The coldest Christmas I've experienced here in our place is 18 degrees celsuis or 64 fahreheit. Hottest is 40 celsuis or 104 F. In mountain cities, they have below zero temps but no snow, just frozen plants...  ;D

Other than temps, humidity plays a role in our engine performance.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 09:31:33 AM »
My tuned up A50 starts on the button every day i start it within a sec normally even if i've not used it for weeks. Was 1°-2°C yesterday here at 6:40am when i went to work, had been riding my 125cc scoot the last few weeks so the A50's been sat in my garden uncovered and unused. Put in the key, pressed the elec starter and she fired right up within a second no probs. I never give it any throttle ever when starting it, once it starts i leave it while i pul on my helmet and gloves then off i go  ;D

Got to say i have never had issues starting mine even in minus temperatures when theres frost and ice all over it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
Thanks all, very reasuring, as long as it's clear I'll be taking the scoot to work, I've got coveralls to keep me warm, we'll see how well they work as it cools off.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »
Get really good warm gloves or over-mitts, your fingers will freeze in winter even with your normal summer gloves on.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »
Get really good warm gloves or over-mitts, your fingers will freeze in winter even with your normal summer gloves on.

I have a pair of leather imsulated work gloves, the kind they use to work on rails in the rail yard, complete with reflectors. If they don't do the trick I'll have to suffer. It's a short 15 min ride so I'll be OK (I think).

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 03:25:25 AM »
My tuned up A50 starts on the button every day i start it within a sec normally even if i've not used it for weeks. Was 1°-2°C yesterday here at 6:40am when i went to work, had been riding my 125cc scoot the last few weeks so the A50's been sat in my garden uncovered and unused. Put in the key, pressed the elec starter and she fired right up within a second no probs. I never give it any throttle ever when starting it, once it starts i leave it while i pul on my helmet and gloves then off i go  ;D

Got to say i have never had issues starting mine even in minus temperatures when theres frost and ice all over it.

Can you list all of the tuning you've done?  Or send me a PM with it?  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()