Author Topic: Cold weather starts  (Read 4569 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Cold weather starts
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 11:18:17 AM »
Can you list all of the tuning you've done?  Or send me a PM with it?  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Full derestrict (inc cdi cut)
Race variator
Nakura belt
K&N filter
92 main jet (little too rich no with winter so going to drop to a 90)
Leo Vince exhaust
Shortened boss (36.8mm)
1500 rpm clutch springs
1500rpm torque spring
5.1g Malossi rollers
Bridgestone ML50 Mola tyres
Digital tacho

Few other cosmetic mods.

I aways run super unleaded fuel and every month or so run a full tank with Redex in it. I found the best way to start it is no NOT give it any throttle, just press the electric starter and it fires up at low rpm then i leave it alone. The revs will build as the auto chike kicks in and the back wheel starts spinning on the stand while i go back in and put on my helmet and gloves. By the time i come back out the back wheel has stopped spinning, revs have gone back down to idle normally, if not i give the throttle a littl twist and that drops it back dkn. NEVER had an issue starting it that way apart from when i had a bad battery a while back, been fine since i fitted a new one. Like i said i hadnt used it for nearly 2wks and its been sat by the hedge in my garden, other scoot has blown the carb gasket on wed night so thurs morning i had to use the A50. Started right up as normal and it was like 1°-3°C outside with a frost over everything  :)

You may have a choke problem on yours? Also i found if you rev it once it 1st starts mine doesnt seem to like that, it seems to like a min or 2 to wake up from his sleep  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15:44 PM »
Get really good warm gloves or over-mitts, your fingers will freeze in winter even with your normal summer gloves on.

Can't agree enough with this statement....my hands start getting too cold when the temp hits 45.  I went to the local Vespa store last weekend and scored a pair of beautiful winter gloves for $25....probably because our Vespa riders around here don't hit the streets once the temp goes below 60 :)
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

bdrannik

• Southwest Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »
In my younger and much more foolish days I would ride year around in northern Minnesota with the occasional winter ride being in -30F/-34.4C temps.  When below 10F I would wrap the engine with an electric blanket made to keep car batteries warm such as below:

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-22200-Watt-Battery-Thermal/dp/B000I8XD9E

In extreme cold it would keep the engine oil from getting too thick.
2011 DT300i - Givi Windshield - HID 5K Low/High Beams - LED Tail/Turn/License Bulbs - Front signal mirrors converted to running lights/signal - Dummy bulbs to LED 5K white running light/amber signals -  Givi E55 w/Admore LED Kit & custom paint - Scorpio SR-i900 Alarm - NGK CR7EIX - Amsoil Synthetics

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 01:33:00 AM »
our Vespa riders around here don't hit the streets once the temp goes below 60 

Im still on my Vespa most days the last 3 wks, only used my Kymco 2-3 times just to keep it feeling loved. Going to keep on it till the salt hits the roads then it comes off the road and im back on the Kymco thro winter. Going to be hard going back to a 50cc 4t, im dreading hills and no gears again  :(
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 01:59:39 AM »
I herd of people wrapeing heat tape around there motor and while its siting in the garage you just plug it in to keep scoot worm for easy start in the morning.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
Im still on my Vespa most days the last 3 wks, only used my Kymco 2-3 times just to keep it feeling loved. Going to keep on it till the salt hits the roads then it comes off the road and im back on the Kymco thro winter. Going to be hard going back to a 50cc 4t, im dreading hills and no gears again  :(

Glad to hear that.  When I was buying the gloves, I was talking to the Vespa dealership's owner.  He noted that he sold 82 Vespas this summer, but that he only sees the scooters out on weekends and warm days.  He was very happy to see that someone was planning to ride their scooter as much as possible.  He also had very nice things to say about Kymcos.  Must admit, I have a warm spot in my heart for the Vespas - still a beautiful machine in my opinion.

By the way, the morning started out at 30 degrees F and my XC started right up.  The gloves worked great - my hands did not even get cool.  Well worth the money as I hate to get to work with cold hands.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
The heat wraps are great for when the scoot is home, just like the tender. If the bike won't start after being hooked up to the tender all night I won't have to worry about taking her to work. My worry is after the bike sits for 8 cold hours outside unprotected am I going to have a problem getting home.

The way it sounds is that I should not have a problem as long as the Batt. is strong.

Rode home last night at 40 F. with no problem starting, will see in a few weeks what the 30's bring.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 02:07:39 AM »
Full derestrict (inc cdi cut)
Race variator
Nakura belt
K&N filter
92 main jet (little too rich no with winter so going to drop to a 90)
Leo Vince exhaust
Shortened boss (36.8mm)
1500 rpm clutch springs
1500rpm torque spring
5.1g Malossi rollers
Bridgestone ML50 Mola tyres
Digital tacho

Few other cosmetic mods.

I aways run super unleaded fuel and every month or so run a full tank with Redex in it. I found the best way to start it is no NOT give it any throttle, just press the electric starter and it fires up at low rpm then i leave it alone. The revs will build as the auto chike kicks in and the back wheel starts spinning on the stand while i go back in and put on my helmet and gloves. By the time i come back out the back wheel has stopped spinning, revs have gone back down to idle normally, if not i give the throttle a littl twist and that drops it back dkn. NEVER had an issue starting it that way apart from when i had a bad battery a while back, been fine since i fitted a new one. Like i said i hadnt used it for nearly 2wks and its been sat by the hedge in my garden, other scoot has blown the carb gasket on wed night so thurs morning i had to use the A50. Started right up as normal and it was like 1°-3°C outside with a frost over everything  :)

You may have a choke problem on yours? Also i found if you rev it once it 1st starts mine doesnt seem to like that, it seems to like a min or 2 to wake up from his sleep  :)

I have shamelessly printed this out and will begin mods  ;D

You're the man, THANK YOU!!!!
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
I have shamelessly printed this out and will begin mods  ;D

You're the man, THANK YOU!!!!

Tbh the exhaust and filter gives little or no performance gains, i just prefer the look of them and the stainless steel exhaust wil last thro 5x stock metal exhausts at least i imagine. Hate seein a rusty old exhaust on a scoot.

You may find the 5.1g rollers too light for you, i just like the acceleration. I did used to run 5.5g's for a year or so which worked well, you may want to try them 1st?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
Sounds good - I'll start w/ the 5.5 1st.  They're not very expensive (even the name brand kind).

I'm with you on the exhaust...  Seeing a rust exhaust is akin to seeing a quarter panel rusted thru on a car.  hehehe
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()