Author Topic: Squealing brake problem  (Read 1206 times)

jerry2

• View Profile
Squealing brake problem
« on: October 14, 2012, 03:04:55 AM »
My front brakes are squealing when I just sit on the bike and roll it forward.  It started, I talked to the dealer and he said it would be OK to put brake cleaner on a rag and clean the front disks.  I did that and it stopped for a while but then started again.  I've tried reading up on what it can be.  Some people recommend Disc Brake Quiet so I bought some to take with me when I go to the dealer.  Has anyone else had the problem?  Used this product?  What were your results?

The product was described on another forum as " plastisol stuff that is spread on the back of the pads and allowed to dry about half an hour. It prevents metal-to-metal contact that sets up high speed vibrations that cause squeal. It is usually supplied in little packets with brake shoes."  Also, "This stuff also allows the pads to be pulled back from the disk because it causes the pad to stick with the retracting part of the brake."

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: Squealing brake problem
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:36:09 AM »
It could just be the cheap standard pads that come with the bike, or they could be worn down and squeal do to a larger gap as the matereal is thinner? If all else fails you can buy sintered metal pads cheap on ebay motors. Click on motorcycles, in search box put in xciting 500, and click on parts and accesories in drop down box. There are 100's of them. :) ;) :-*

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
jerry2,
Had the same problem with my XC500 and seems to be a very common problem based on other posts. My dealer told me to maintain low speed and hold the brake levers in enough to maintain brake pressure while rolling and it will burn off any residual contaminats that are causing the squeal.
It worked! Hope this will solve your problem. This is a great maxi scooter but it's the little insignificant quirks that can irritate you. Overall I think it is bullet proof but that's my opinion.
Mike

jerry2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »
Thanks for the info.  The bike is still in warranty (a new but 2010 model) so I guess I should let the dealer change the pads, if necessary, but I read the instructions.  How difficult is it to change the pads?  It didn't look like a difficult situation but I've never done it.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:21:40 PM »
Very easy. Just looking at the caliper when you take it off the rotor, you will see what to do. No manual needed. Do not press brake lever with caliper off.  :-*

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
Mine make a noise best described as "swish, swish".  The dealer swapped the pads around and it stopped for about 1 day.  The brakes have been cleaned but it doesn't remain silent for long.  They're thinking I should get some aftermarket pads and not the stock OEM ones.

It's just another "feature" of the scoot.

Don in KC.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()