Author Topic: By my start button....  (Read 7799 times)

whozleft

• View Profile
Re: By my start button....
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 12:05:54 AM »
FYI

I also got hit by a deer when my 250 Xciting only had 30 miles on it. After the hit the scoot slid about 1/8 mile and was still running when I hobbled over to it lying in a ditch. The dealership that repaired it told me that the scoot did NOT have a tip over kill switch like all my big bikes did over the years.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 03:22:28 AM »
Use of he kill switch is highly pushed and taught in the BRC in the states. In situations where a rider may pop a clutch, or lose throttle control the instructors drill into the students' heads when trying to start, slow or stop their bikes. I always use my kill switch to shut off my engine before kicking out my side stand, or dismount to use the center. At night this is usefull because engine power is off, but my lights are still on. Since I have a detatched garage without any power or lights I use my headlight for seeing when opening the garage and pushing my bike inside.

Back in March when I was rear-ended at a toll booth I was pinned against the side of the booth. Untangling myself I moved to righten the bike and pulled on the throttle when I grabbed the right grip causing my bike to lurch forward slightly. Instantly I hit the kill switch and righted the scoot. In the event of a slide -- if possible -- hit the kill switch to prevent power to the rear wheel. Depending on the speed it may not prevent a high end slide, but anything to slow the wheel will help.

-Wolf

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 07:21:08 AM »
Well, i don't really think it is needed, since the scooter will shut off if you go down anyway. :D
But yeah, as the others say, it is a kill switch for emergencies, even though i cant imagine a scenario, where it would be needed. :D

Throttle stuck wide open... Might be useful then

Could have been useful if Toyota thought of that before that whole fiasco
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:23:22 AM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 11:46:22 AM »
Throttle stuck wide open... Might be useful then

Could have been useful if Toyota thought of that before that whole fiasco

If the accelleration are so hard that you are not comfortable with removing your hand from the steering wheel, just press the rear brake a little to take some of the power away. :D
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »
All powersports have them. It's a safety feature. Don't complain.

If you have a problem with the kill switch on the handlebars then bypass and remove it

I think I'll keep mine. It's nice to have when doing plug chops.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:37:29 PM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 08:27:58 PM »
All powersports have them. I swear, only scooter geeks would complain about it.

If you have such a problem with the kill switch on the handlebars then bypass and remove it

I think I'll keep mine. It's nice to have when doing plug chops.

To whom is this directed? Certainly hope you don't think I'm complaining.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 08:36:50 PM »
Modified...

Wasn't directed at anybody in paticular
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:38:29 PM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 11:46:07 PM »
FWIW, I plan on going down a hill on my way home tonight with the scoot off, once I reach 20 MPH or so I'm going to turn the ignition to the run position and kill switch into the on position and see if the engine kicks over when I squeeze the brake lever.

I'll report back on what happens.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »
nothing intened here,
but are you out of your gourd?
Mike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 02:13:59 AM »
nothing intened here,
but are you out of your gourd?
Mike

Maybe he just have lots of free time Mike... let him be.... if he can't report back...I'll email NYPD and NJ Police to search for him... Lol!!  ;D ;D ;D...  and we'll start a new thread.... 

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 02:22:00 AM »
FWIW, I plan on going down a hill on my way home tonight with the scoot off, once I reach 20 MPH or so I'm going to turn the ignition to the run position and kill switch into the on position and see if the engine kicks over when I squeeze the brake lever.

I'll report back on what happens.

20 MPH, 100 MPH, doesn't matter the engine will never turn over. Go ahead and try if you want. Be careful though. No headlight, no tail light. Doesn't sound like a good thing to do at night. You could hold down the passing button to turn the headlight on, still no tail light though.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »
20 MPH, 100 MPH, doesn't matter the engine will never turn over. Go ahead and try if you want. Be careful though. No headlight, no tail light. Doesn't sound like a good thing to do at night. You could hold down the passing button to turn the headlight on, still no tail light though.

I tried it once out of curiosity but not downhill.... but with 2 guys pushing.... nothing.. :D

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 02:38:13 AM »
If one is really desperate to start a scooter without the starter or kicker you can take the cvt cover off, put a 17mm socket on your cordless drill, and spin the engine over. Put the cover back on and you're ready to go.  ;D

I've done it on mini bikes and go karts... When the engine does fire it may jerk the drill out of your hand. Just be ready to yank it off as soon as the engine fires.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 02:53:12 AM »
Gotcha Vivo,
I just don't understand 08's obscession with this kill switch. It has NO other function
but to KILL the engine in case of an emergency PERIOD. It has nothing to do with the clutch
or restarting your scoot as you coast down a hill. But if this is his idea of fun or something
who am I to question? Go for it.
Mike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 03:03:08 AM »
Boys will be boys Mike... age doesnt matter....  ;)   On a long road stretch, I've even tried shutting off all my lights at one night just out of curiosity sh*t...  Oh...it's pitch black....Hehe!!! that was stupidly fun!!! 

By the way, we don't have deers...but saw a big snake crossing once...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()