Author Topic: By my start button....  (Read 7800 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Re: By my start button....
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
Here's my logic or should I say non logic, If I can get the eng to turn over fast enough the centrifical force will engage the clutch and I'll be able to have the eng. start. Quite possibly wrong in my idea but it costs me nothing to carryu out my fancy and find out.

Last night I was on a rather long hill that I can coast down in my car and reach 35 MPH in nutral, however with the eng off on my scoot I only reached 12 MPH and the scoot did not start. (may not have even if I reached 35 MPH)

The hill is not travled well at night but is well lit with street lighting so the risk was minimal. I may try another hill that's a bit steeper at some piont. Like Vivo said, I'm just a boy in a big body. Once I pluged in a DC motor into an AC outlet just to see if the added power would make it spin faster, it did for about 1/10th of a second before it blew. I just like to see first hand is all.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
Here's my logic or should I say non logic, If I can get the eng to turn over fast enough the centrifical force will engage the clutch and I'll be able to have the eng. start. Quite possibly wrong in my idea but it costs me nothing to carryu out my fancy and find out.

The engine does not spin at all when rolling the scooter with the engine off. Doesn't spin the clutch, the belt, the variator, the crankshaft, and the piston does not cycle up and down either. Nothing happens. Spinning the rear wheel does nothing to the engine. It's just like putting a car in neutral and rolling it down a hill. The engine does not turn over. I don't know how I can be more clear about this.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »
The engine does not spin at all when rolling the scooter with the engine off. Doesn't spin the clutch, the belt, the variator, the crankshaft, and the piston does not cycle up and down either. Nothing happens. Spinning the rear wheel does nothing to the engine. It's just like putting a car in neutral and rolling it down a hill. The engine does not turn over. I don't know how I can be more clear about this.

Hence why you will never bump start a twist & go scoot ever, no matter how fast you get it free-wheeling, cant be done.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 09:37:43 PM »

I am sure you are 100% correct, but if centrifical force holds the clutch in place while I'm running at 30 MPH and hit the kill switch then flip the switch back to the run position it will restart without me having to hit the starter. What causes this vs. the "push start thoery"?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »
PS Thanks for putting up with my stupidity on this.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »
It's already spinning. All the kill switch does is stop ignition, the engine is still turning over along with the clutch and rear wheel. Next time you do it, leave it off and let the scooter roll to a complete stop. You'll hear and feel when the clutch disengages. Usually around 5 mph. Once you loose that connection you will not get it back.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

people

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 07:08:55 AM »
Sorry to reopen this case, but I have read that the Honda Cub (Honda 90 in the United States?) can be push started. I have not yet looked into how they do it, but it's intriguing. That is my one complaint about the Kymco. It would be nice to have that third method to get the engine turning (that didn't involve pulling the cover and using a cordless drill!).

I still do not understand the clutch. Even if you push start the bike at 160 km / h, it will not grip the belt and turn the engine?
July 2003 People 150

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »
Yes, I had a Honda cub and it has a four speed transmission and a chain drives the wheels.  Put the tranny on neutral... turn ignition to "on" position... push the bike... shift to second gear... engine will start... it's that easy....  In a scooter, it's totally different...(except for some with wet clutches)

Didnt you notice that when going down hill with the engine on, no matter how fast, the engine is still idling? This is because the wheels are turning and the clutch is not engaged.... give it some gas and the scoot will engine brake and lock the rear wheel,,, this means that when you gave gas the engine turned and engaged the clutch...

In your next question... at 160 kph, my theory is that it might turn the clutch, the engine might run, then the engine speed might not match the bike's speed, things may go out of control, you might crash and die... my two cents..  ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:04:45 AM by Vivo »

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »
Only 2 ways to start a scooter! What a crime!  ::)
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »
when going down hill with the engine on, no matter how fast, the engine is still idling? This is because the wheels are turning and the clutch is not engaged.... give it some gas and the scoot will engine brake and lock the rear wheel,,, this means that when you gave gas the engine turned and engaged the clutch...

Hello Vivo, Back from 10 days in ScooterlandUSA (St Pete Beach, FLA) - so, THAT is what is happening when I ease off the throttle on a long down-hill -- then add power at the bottom? Big jerk of the scoot! Trying to stay within the 25 MPH in the State Park....but learned after 1st episode not to do that again. Now just give it a little power all the way down the hill, to keep things turning in sync down there between me feets! Glad I never tried this in the rain at night on a steep, busy, hill~!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 02:22:33 AM »
Yes Stig, the clutch bell and the clutch do not have a matching speed, so since the clutch bell is faster than the clutch, the latter will force the former to abruptly low down...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()