Author Topic: By my start button....  (Read 7808 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
By my start button....
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:36:32 AM »
There is another button that needs to be in the down position before I can start my scoot, if my scoot is running and I flip this little button up it kills the eng.

I can kill the eng. by turning the key off, why do I need this extra button and what happens if I just turn off the key and leave the switch in the run position?

Does it help drain my batt?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: By my start button....
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 01:50:52 AM »
That's for killing the engine without removing your hand from the handlebar, especially during emergencies. A very good safety feature.

But be sure to turn off the ignition switch because, yes, it will drain your battery.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:59:42 AM »
Thats the kill switch. It is Federally mandated that it be there in case of emergencies. It kills the ignition and nothing else. It will not run the battery down no matter what position you leave it in. The ignition key turns on all power to the scooter and will run down the battery if left on.

I never use the kill switch as I may forget about it not being in the run position and  then wondering why the scooter won't start.

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:55:10 AM »
I never use the kill switch as I may forget about it not being in the run position and  then wondering why the scooter won't start.

BAHAHA - my older-than-dirt-Zuma *only* shuts off if I use the kill switch...  Do you know how many times I've been like, "WTF??  Why isn't it starting???"  Then I notice the kill switch is on...  ROFL
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »
Glad to hear it's not only me. Thanks all!
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »
Well, i don't really think it is needed, since the scooter will shut off if you go down anyway. :D
But yeah, as the others say, it is a kill switch for emergencies, even though i cant imagine a scenario, where it would be needed. :D
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »
FYI it won't kill the eng if you hit it doing 30 MPH. I tried it just to see what would happen and the eng died only after slowing to a speed of about 10 MPH or so.

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:37 PM »
the kill switch has nothing to do with what speed your going. Like Old Geezer said it is federally mandated on just about anything that has an engine, from Jet Skis, boats, lawm mowers, and yes motorcycles and scoots. My John Deere riding lawn mower has one under the seat that drives me crazy. If you get up from the seat it has a pressure sensor that will kill the engine. Evidently this was installed to prevent the mower from continuing to run if you fall out of the seat. But your scoot speed has nothing to do with when it kills the engine.
Mike

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
Well, i don't really think it is needed, since the scooter will shut off if you go down anyway. :D
But yeah, as the others say, it is a kill switch for emergencies, even though i cant imagine a scenario, where it would be needed. :D

Not necessarily true...I went down on my scooter once and the engine kept running.  As stated earlier, it is an emergency switch, and I know of a friend who's throttle stuck....he was able to hit the kill switch while keeping both hands on the handlebars.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »
Did it not kill the engine 08 but the noise you heard was just the engine being turned over as you freewheeled? Seems odd if it wasnt ???
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »
Right on Striedo!

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »
Did it not kill the engine 08 but the noise you heard was just the engine being turned over as you freewheeled? Seems odd if it wasnt ???

Next time I ride and think of it I'll get above 30 MPH, hit the kill switch, and give it gas to see if the eng rev's and I gain speed.

It may just be as you described, will find out soon.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 01:49:14 AM »
Next time you pull up along the side of another scoot hit his kill switch. And then you throtle up and get the hell out of there lol.................

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 01:52:54 AM »
The kill switch cuts power to the ignition when ever it is turned to the no run position, period.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:24 AM »
A lot of these Federal Laws make me sick... good thing I'm not in the States. ...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()