Author Topic: Trike Conversion or CanAm Spyder  (Read 12213 times)

Mike Green

• View Profile
Trike Conversion or CanAm Spyder
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »
After the near death experience with the deer my wife has given me an ultimatum; either convert the XC500 to a trike or trade it in on a CanAm
Spyder. My feelings on this are ambivalent. I don't think an extra set of wheels would have made any difference, but she says that she would worry
less knowing I had the extra security. I want to continue to enjoy riding and if that will lessen her anxiety I'm willing to do it.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone owned a trike or a Spyder? If so I would really appreciate your experience and/or imput.
Mike

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
Re: Trike Conversion or CanAm Spyder
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »
Two wheels in front feel so much safer. I have ridden many trikes, mostly VW conversions and they always scare me.  Always feel like they will role over in a turn.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »
I'm also looking at the Piaggio MP3 500. Any thoughts on tis one.
Mike

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:40:34 PM »
"No vehicle is immune from deer, m'dear."

--my suggested response to the missus

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:47:46 PM »
Two wheels in front feel so much safer. I have ridden many trikes,

X's 2!

Have a co-worker with a can am and she loves it, feels very secure but you don't get in the same small spaces as with a scoot. we work in a city and small spots are easy to get between cars on the street, with the can am she can't always get one if that matters to you. (just remembered, you may not have a choice so the 3 wheels with 2 in front is the way to go.)
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »
Have never ridden a CanAm spyder and probably never will. As already said deer will run in front of any thing. You can't stop living for something that may or may not happen again. You pays your money and takes your chances.

I rode this for several years. I was crazy for selling it.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
In a country with wide roads...maybe can be... but personally, I'd stick to 2 wheels.  2 wheels is fun!!!

You can explain to they wife that a three wheeled vehicle has it's share of "dangers" as well.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:53:37 AM »
After the near death experience with the deer my wife has given me an ultimatum; either convert the XC500 to a trike or trade it in on a CanAm
Spyder.

Did you ever ask her: Who are you to dictate what am I going to do with my life?

Especially if the given advice (in fact, demand!) is stupid. Trike XC500 would be far more dangerous than XC500. OK, CanAm has a lot of electronics inside to prevent sliding, but she is talking about things she has obviously no idea but has very strong unfounded opinions.

If she really wants to increase your personal safety and wellbeing, instead of ultimatums, she could buy you as a present new tires, performance brakes, airbag jacket, kevlar boots and life/injury insurance policy.

Here is a picture from presentation of CanAm in my county a few years ago. Electronics did not help, as you can see. http://dalje.com/hr-hrvatska/neslavno-predstavljanje-can-am-spyder-motora/253845

As you can see I have zero tolerance for "my darling wifey told me I should be a good doggie and I am not allowed to <INSERT WHATEVER>". On this forum you can see this very often, even with a bit of pride on the dominated side?!?

Live and let live.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:57:00 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »
.......and another thing Mr Green, if you fcuk up a perfectly good VW Beetle to make a poxy trike them me and you are finished. For good!

:P

Why not trade in the wife and keep the scoot? For the same expense the current Mrs Green costs to run i bet you could get a nice shiny new model which will out- perform the present Mrs Green in most, if not all, depts.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:45:59 PM »
Did you ever ask her: Who are you to dictate what am I going to do with my life?

Especially if the given advice (in fact, demand!) is stupid. Trike XC500 would be far more dangerous than XC500. OK, CanAm has a lot of electronics inside to prevent sliding, but she is talking about things she has obviously no idea but has very strong unfounded opinions.

If she really wants to increase your personal safety and wellbeing, instead of ultimatums, she could buy you as a present new tires, performance brakes, airbag jacket, kevlar boots and life/injury insurance policy.

Here is a picture from presentation of CanAm in my county a few years ago. Electronics did not help, as you can see. http://dalje.com/hr-hrvatska/neslavno-predstavljanje-can-am-spyder-motora/253845

As you can see I have zero tolerance for "my darling wifey told me I should be a good doggie and I am not allowed to <INSERT WHATEVER>". On this forum you can see this very often, even with a bit of pride on the dominated side?!?

Live and let live.

Take it easy axy....

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »

Live and let live.

Whle I get your humorous point I'd bet his wife is speaking from an emotional view point. 3 whells (2 in frontt) are better (IMO) then just 2 but are still risky. You do raise great points though about protective gear, I'd use her concern to pick up a few items you mentioned for sure.

A wife in my life is a "partner" and has a right to point out obvious weak points in things I do and vise versa. We have to bear in mind that our actions effect not only ourselves but those that are tied to us, including our spouses and children with a ripple effect going to our spouses family's when it come to possible support issues.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »
Just sayin................  ::)

Three wheelers with one wheel in front are prone to an under-steer condition, where inertia overcomes the traction of the front wheel during a turn, causing the vehicle to continue tracking in a straight line instead of in the desired direction. Conversely, three wheelers with a single rear wheel tend to experience over steer, where the vehicle tends to lose traction in the rear during a turn, causing the rear of the vehicle to slide towards the outside of a turn, sometimes resulting in a spin.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
I hear ya about the partner and all, but in the end you will just buy another scoot after youre severely disappointed with the reverse trike or trike. Save money and buy the extra stuff like axy suggested rather than just have to get use to a new ride and possibly end up worse.
Deers arent going to look out because of an extra wheel also, its just common sense over no sense on that one. If you cant talk sense into her you may as well give up and roll over I guess. Im not married for more than one reason.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »
Take it easy axy....

I'm easy like Sunday morning...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »
I'm easy like Sunday morning...
... and cool as the other side of the pillow.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()