Author Topic: Charging System?  (Read 2286 times)

YagerMySter

• View Profile
Charging System?
« on: October 21, 2012, 05:20:04 AM »
I have a 2012 Yager.  I did not ride it for about three or 4 weeks and the battery died.

I took the battery in to be tested and they said it just needed a chage.  So I bought a charger and charged it fully.  Didn't ride the bike for a week and the battery wasn't strong enough to start the bike.

I had plenty of juice for the lights and display, just not enough to crank.

So, I'm wondering if there is a charging system on my Yager and if so, how do I test it.

What do you think?

Dave
I did it and I'm glad.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Charging System?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
A simple test is to put a meter across the battery terminals and note the voltage while the scoot idles on the stand. Now have someone rev the throttle and see how the voltage changes on the battery as they do. The Voltage should rise as the rpms rise, if not you prob have a problem in the charging system. If the voltage does rise you may have a battery problem or a voltage regulator/rectifier problem, if your scoot has a regulator that is.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
Good idea :-)

Thanks!!!
I did it and I'm glad.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
 If a battery is allowed to discharge it can sulphate and not be able to hold a full charge
again, so it might be bad now. Most people use a battery "Tender" when not using the scoot
for a while. I did find an AGM battery for the Yager, those last a bit longer.

The test for the charging system is to read the battery voltage while idling, it should be around
14v. It might drop a little as the revs increase (caution check while on centerstand bike will move
when reved) but should stay above 13.5v.

If it goes above 14.7v or stays below 13v the regulator is bad!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »
Also check your connections to make sure they are tight and no corrosion is on the terminals, this can stop it from getting a proper charge too.

The tender is the way to go if not using the scoot often.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:09:55 AM »
Thank you,

All great ideas.

:-)
I did it and I'm glad.

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »
Well, it turns out that the batter is bad.

I drove all over town trying to find a YT12A-BS batter.

Online, I haven't had any luck.

Anybody know a good place for batteries for my Yager 200i?

:-)
I did it and I'm glad.

streido

• View Profile
Chaos is my co-pilot.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
Loads of them online ???

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000N5R6WM/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_seeall_fm?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=new&me=&qid=&shipPromoFilter=0&sort=sip&sr=&startIndex=0

It's weird.  That battery has dimensions of Product Dimensions: 6.9 x 6.6 x 6.5 inches ; 8.2 pounds and that doesn't jive with the dimensions of that same battery on Ebay.  Those dimensions would too big for the battery compartment on the Yager.  Is it possible that Amazon is wrong?  :-)

Thanks again everyone!
I did it and I'm glad.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
you can go up in size as long as the battery fits. going down in size not a good idea.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »

It's weird.  That battery has dimensions of Product Dimensions: 6.9 x 6.6 x 6.5 inches ; 8.2 pounds and that doesn't jive with the dimensions of that same battery on Ebay.  Those dimensions would too big for the battery compartment on the Yager.  Is it possible that Amazon is wrong?  :-)

Thanks again everyone!

Hmm seems weird ??? It is probable that either Amazon or Ebay has it wrong, you could email both sellers to confirm sizes etc before you buy? Most bike shops keep a stock of different batteries here on the shelf, i got one a few years ago for my Agility which was the same rating and physical size but a different make and number. Surely one of your local shops must have one that will work in your scoot?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
These are on sale today. The are exactly the same number as is on my battery and
measure 6x3 7/16x4 3/16.
http://www.apexbattery.com/power-max-gt12a-bs-battery-motorcycle-batteries-power-max-motorcycle-batteries.html

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »
Hmm seems weird ??? It is probable that either Amazon or Ebay has it wrong, you could email both sellers to confirm sizes etc before you buy? Most bike shops keep a stock of different batteries here on the shelf, i got one a few years ago for my Agility which was the same rating and physical size but a different make and number. Surely one of your local shops must have one that will work in your scoot?

I contacted the seller.  They said the dimensions were for the packaging.  I ordered a Yuasa battery from Amazon.  Anyway, I hope they change their "product description".  They might sell more batteries.

I did it and I'm glad.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()