Author Topic: Filter Water from Bad Gas ?  (Read 2869 times)

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
Filter Water from Bad Gas ?
« on: October 30, 2012, 12:22:44 PM »
Here is a funnel with a 'water' filter at the bottom.

The claim is it removes water from gas.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF1CB-Fuel-Filter/dp/B000SOFLHK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_fh8Jqb0N2YZDZ_tt

Mr. Funnel AF1CB Fuel Filter
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:25:15 PM by Zimmerman »
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: Filter Water from Bad Gas ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
It looks like a nice filtering funnel which will catch trash but I seriously doubt it will filter our water.
Usually a fine screen filter passes the desired material slowly, but gasoline should pour through this one ok.

We usually use a funnel & a coffee filter to filter our dirty gas.  A bit slow, but we seldom have dirty gas.

scoot safely
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

Zimmerman

• ---------
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »
It does seem too good to be true.

The Amazon user reviews were good, so I spent ~$12 and bought one.

Years ago I travelled long distance to an AmeriVespa rally.  I gased up just before the group ride.  The gas was bad. Me and a number of others missed the group ride. So this filter/funnel appeals to me.

But does it really work?

That's a fair question.  The amazon users say it does, and honestly that's good enough for me.  If it didn't work they would say so.

I do enjoy experimentation.  This weekend I'll test it with known quanties of water and gas.
1.  100% water
2. 100% gas
3.  A mix of 75% gas and 25% water.

I'll measure amounts that are stopped by the filter vs. the amount passed through.

I'll post the results here.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:52:42 AM by Zimmerman »
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »
Thanks for trying it out.  We await your results.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
I don't think it filters water from gasoline.  I think it will also filter water.  If there is water in your gasoline either throw it out or siphon the water from the bottom, or put it in a throw away plastic container with a small hole in the bottom.  Even then I would not put it in my scoot.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »
I have never once ever heard of anyone getting bad Gas from any petrol station here? Certainly not with water in it ??? Surely all you would do is file a claim against the station involved and get compensated for the hassle and repairs, not to mention the gas? Maybe this is common in the US but far as i know our gas is just fine in Scotland.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Zimmerman

• ---------
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »
Streido,

I assume you're joking.

Anyway, I've only gotten bad gas a few times.  So it's pretty rare here in the US too - at least where I live.

I do use the funnel filter when I'm far from home.  I don't want to get stuck or waste touring time tinkering with the scooter.

Kevin
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »
Streido,

I assume you're joking.

Anyway, I've only gotten bad gas a few times.  So it's pretty rare here in the US too - at least where I live.

I do use the funnel filter when I'm far from home.  I don't want to get stuck or waste touring time tinkering with the scooter.

Kevin

Nope, not joking. Been driving cars and riding scoots for 24yrs and never had a problem with fuel or even heard of anyone who has here? Not saying it doesnt happen here, it may, its just not something i ever experienced myself or even heard of.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 07:27:08 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Zimmerman

• ---------
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »
I'm glad to hear you don't have this problem there.

It makes me wonder if there are better inspection practices for gas stations & thier tanks were you live.

Maybe I can talk my wife & kids into moving to Europe . . . or at least take an extended scooter holiday !
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 03:23:49 AM »
Lets all go back to eighth grade science class here. Condensation!. Condensation accumulates as air temperature fluctuates and is a major killer of gasoline. Depending on your climate it may not be a problem. I live in an area with fairly high levels of humidity.

Added:
Given that filling stations use in-ground tanks and ground temperature does not fluctuate like air temp, I would assume gasoline would last longer in them than in your vehicles tank or your jerry can. So, depending on your situation, water in your gas could be a big concern. I kinda have my doubts about a filter but what do I know, maybe it works. I read you can add isopropyl alcohol to gas to counteract the water.  ??? Do some more research on that before you go pouring rubbing alcohol in your tank  :D ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:30:56 AM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Zimmerman

• ---------
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »
Condensation is important to remember - keeping the tank full will minimize it.

The two times I've had bad gas in my life it came from a gas station.  It was clearly a common denominator with numerous customers having equipment problems after gassing up.  (There was not a gas/Jerry can involved. The gas was pumped directly into my vehicles tank.) Once this happens word spreads quickly.

When I say bad gas I mean the equipment wouldn't run at all or ran so poorly it could not be used/ridden.
Draining the tank and adding new fuel got it running smoothly again.

There could have been times when the gas was marginal and the equipment didn't run it's best. I'm not referring to those instances as the cause wasn't clear / certain.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:57:48 AM by Zimmerman »
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()