Author Topic: Unleaded or Premium Petrol[SOLVED]  (Read 7832 times)

Aceforever

• View Profile
Unleaded or Premium Petrol[SOLVED]
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:02:54 AM »
Hey yall,

Thought I'll ask anyone who uses the expensive petrol for their scooter, and would that keep the bike a lot more healthier in the long run?

I've been using the Premium petrol since this advice was good for the car and decided to do it for my scoot. So I wanted to know if the same principle applies?

Thanks in advance
CHEERS :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:49:37 AM by buckmajor »

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: Unleaded or Premium Petrol
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:03:24 AM »
Run what the manufacturer recommends. If they say run regular, run regular. Premium will not make it run any better. That being said, not sure about your scoot but pretty sure most recommend higher grade.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Aceforever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
True that. Thanks

Trimax

• SuperDink 300i ABS Titanium
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Unleaded or Premium Petrol
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »
Don't throw out your money and save it.  The premium petrol is for high compression engines.

More octanes don't means more power in your engine if it hasn't adapted for more antidetonation.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
For a scooter premium fuel is just throwing your money away.

Even if it calls for it, when you pump from a one hose pump
you get almost a gallon of whatever grade the last guy used.
How much gas does your scooter take?

Most use 87 just fine. The higher octanes are for high compression
motors. It stops them from preigniting. It actually is harder to burn.

Most modern engines even with high compression run just fine on
87 octane. The design of the "squish" area makes them harder to
detonate.

I would use non ethanol fuel if you can get it. These little motors
don't like it. My Yager manual says do not use it but I can only
get the 10% around here (Thanks FEDS!).
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »
Also folks in other earlier threads have pointed out - the calculation of octane ratings differ from country to county.

As a result it's possible that regular unleaded 87 here in the states would equal the top notch gas in Tiawan.

Read the notes closely to make sure the octane units of measure are calculated the same way.

I've tried regular and premium and have not noticed any difference - so I just go with the cheap stuff.
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »
Interesting information.  In checking earlier posts of this forum and some other forums, the preponderance of advice has been to use the octane recommended.  My manual specifies 93 octane, so I have been using that.  My typical fill-up is just over 2 gallons, so switching to 87 octane would save me about 76 cents per fill-up. 
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 08:08:05 PM »
Well most bikes have a little sticker somewhere telling you what to use.
Mine says 87 via R+M/2 method so I'm good with the low test!

There was some confusion in that the grade is sometimes specified
in the R method so appears higher. Generally speaking higher won't hurt
it but lower might.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 02:19:52 AM »
Everyone's right here... just go for the manufacturer's recommendation.  But another consideration is petrol quality... a more well known brand would usually have better quality and cleaner stuff than a cheaper never heard brand regardless of octane rating. 

kymcoholic

• Kymco Parts shipped Worldwide !
    • View Profile
    • KymcoGenuineParts.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:43:45 PM »
Well gotta weigh in on this one, here is my spin on it,Premium fuel has no Ethanol and since scooters and small cc machines carry only small amount of fuel....I say go for the good stuff, here is why,I see lots of problems caused by Ethanol fuels, they are corrosive and go stale very quickly resulting in lots of "no starts" after sitting for a short period of time and damaged carb parts where fuel has been allowed to sit for several months. The small additional costs of the better quality fuel far out weigh the costs of service/repairs incurred with its use.
Enjoy the Ride !

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »
". . . Premium fuel has no Ethanol . . . "

I didn't know that !

If that's the case then I'll switch to premium too.

Kevin
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »
I don't know about Canada where Kymcoholic is from, but all grades in the US have up to 10% ethanol added. There may be a few exceptions here and there and  there are the stations that sell pure gas only. But there are many places in the US where 10% ethanol is all there is available.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:19:23 PM by old geezer »

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
I don't know about Canada where Kymcoholic is from, but all grades in the US have up to 10% ethanol added. There may be a few exceptions here and there and  there are the stations that sell pure gas only. But there are many places in the US where 10% ethanol is all there is available.

Yep!
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 07:34:30 PM »
One manufacturer had no ethanol in their premium fuel (I believe it was
Shell) but most around here have it so it doesn't guarantee ethanol free.

The Feds are pushing for 15% with some weird 4 gallon fill rule so many
stations will start selling ethanol free but for $0.40 more than regular.

What a scam, ethanol was $1 per gallon and they got to charge $3.50
now they are taking it out and charging still more!

That's besides the fact that you use more fuel to go the same distance so
the pollution benefits are somewhat nebulous...

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 07:55:54 PM »
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=23957

The "4 gallon minimum" is a non-issue, unless you choose to fill from a pump that dispenses multiple blends of EtOH. Then, the EPA requires the service station to dispense a minimum of 4 gals of E10 to dilute any E15 in the hose. TO PROTECT THE VEHICLE OWNER. Otherwise, the EPA would have to find a way to outlaw multi-blend pumps, which would ignite a firestorm in the gas station business community. If your local station only has blending pumps, then take your less than 4 gallon business elsewhere. The use of blending pumps is a service station decision.

The EPA is NOT "pushing" E15. Indeed, the opposite has been the case, but there is insufficient science to prevent the petroleum industry from selling it. Science, not economics, is all the EPA can use. Thus, the granting of a "Limited Waiver" that allows (in no way requires) the sale of E15 for use in 2001 and later passenger cars and multi-fuel vehicles ONLY.

The EPA is not requiring the use of E15 in any vehicles, nor has it expressed an interest in such a policy. It is state and local governments that might be doing so. The petroleum and EtOH business interests are pushing E15 and want to be able to use blending pumps to save money. The EPA's involvement in the pumps is to mandate "mitigation" to protect the public from unwanted or improper delivery of E15. The EPA was not totally able to thwart bug business' desire to foist E15 upon us, but they are doing their best to protect us from the limited use E15 being dispensed to us against our will and best interest.

Yes, a Bill was entered in Congress to require the EPA to do exactly what it was already required to do and has been doing in evaluating the technical issues pertaining to E15. Pure political theater.

Fortunately (I suspect) this is not going to be as simple a mandate as unleaded gasoline or even E10. Far too much risk of damage to engines, and the additional safety aspect of fuel lines being much more profoundly effected by E15 than E10. Right now it's a sort of "Clash of Titans", with the EtOH producers tossing millions to promote their product, and engine manufacturers pushing back. But, since there is not the equivalent of a "lead substitute" to get the desired octane or protect valves, E15 has much greater technological hurdles to cross.

One clear signal of the hurdles is a bill known as "Domestic Fuels Act of 2012 (HR 4345)" entered by Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill) to protect retailers, engine manufacturers, and fuel producers from E15 related lawsuits. If there is enough risk of litigation to prompt such a bill............... The bill is dormant in committee, BTW.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:00:59 PM by old geezer »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()