Author Topic: TRANS = CVT or single speed  (Read 5231 times)

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
Re: TRANS = CVT or single speed
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »

It is a true CVT.  Next question and keep them coming...it is what the forum is for.  By the way, how is your boat?
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
Horse has only one speed too.

Most electric vehicles do not have a gearbox.

Is this horse, bicycle, boat or electric supercar forum or scooter forum?
How many scooters with IC engine do not have transmission?

If this is horse, bicycle, boat or electric supercar forum, please accept my apologies.
Also if this is forum dedicated to hydrogen cells scooters or those powered by zero field energy.

If not, what did you think until now, as a scooter owner, what for is this light alloy box on the left lower side of your scooter, between engine and rear wheel?
Magic hamster housing?

But that wasn't your question, this was "Btw. can you name ONE "single speed" vehicle currently in production?"

Now that you've been answered you try and change the question, yeah think we need an ignore here.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »

It is a true CVT.  Next question and keep them coming...it is what the forum is for.  By the way, how is your boat?

Thanks to everyone, I'm leaving within the hour to check things out, just waiting for my wife to get ready. Will report back and have some picks, as long as I can email to someone who can post them, I'm a dumb ass that way too.

Thanks
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »
But that wasn't your question, this was "Btw. can you name ONE "single speed" vehicle currently

Very bold academic position for someone so clueless.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
All this discussion and I still haven't seen what CVT stands for.  CVT is
Continuously Variable Transmission.  Both Driven and Drive Pulleys
have convex or coned surfaces.  As the load or speed changes,  the
belt seeks a different diameter as the pulleys either contract or spread.
Two cars I can recall are the Dodge Caliber and the Suburu Justy.  I
have not had a belt break yet.  I do have 10,000+ miles on my Xciting
and it runs as well as when new.  As part of my Insurance program,  I do
have a new belt and associated clutch parts in my personal stock and
ready to put on.  As stated,  there aren't many one speed examples.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »
I think the Yuma is a single speed. It is chain drive so doesn't change ratio's.

The terminology is wrong though as it goes many different speeds. I never
shift my scooter so it must be a single speed right? My car has different gears
that it automatically shifts to, but the scooter only has one gear.

So it's a one speed automatic ratio changing drive I guess. Yup it's a one speed!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
All this discussion and I still haven't seen what CVT stands for.  CVT is
Continuously Variable Transmission.  Both Driven and Drive Pulleys
have convex or coned surfaces.  As the load or speed changes,  the
belt seeks a different diameter as the pulleys either contract or spread.
Two cars I can recall are the Dodge Caliber and the Suburu Justy.  I
have not had a belt break yet.  I do have 10,000+ miles on my Xciting
and it runs as well as when new.  As part of my Insurance program,  I do
have a new belt and associated clutch parts in my personal stock and
ready to put on.  As stated,  there aren't many one speed examples.

Very few cars had them in the past... but these transmissions are VERY different than ones in scooters. They really had wide belts, sometimes even made of leather (!) that were sliding between two conical (is this even legit word ? ;-) axles. There were no roller weights etc. I do not know of any such cars in the past 35+ years. Now defunct Dutch car manufacturer of which 99.9 percent people have never heard, DAF, used to make small passenger cars with these strange transmissions.

If you have 250 I would change the belt now, if it is 500 in 3000 miles.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 01:32:11 AM »
Very bold academic position for someone so clueless.

I know far more then you give me credit for, I'd never say I were clueless and your comment make zero sense being my post is complete fact, you asked a direct question, when you got answers you didn't anticipate you bailed on the question as you could no longer defend your position, next thing you'll tell me is that an outboard boat is not a vechicle.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:33:54 AM by 08087 »

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 01:41:58 AM »
I made it down the shore today, the house too on water upto my waist, I stand 5'11" so a good 3' in the lower section of the house (sun porch, garage and laundry area and about 14"-18" in the main level of the house. All the hardwood floors, doors, walls, insulation electrical outlets will need replacing. There is a posibility the house moved on it's foundation a little but I won't be sure until I can crawl under it. The boat was wedged between the house and shed but seems pretty much OK, once I can jack her up a bit more and get under her I'll inspect the hull closer. 1 tree did fall over my fence from the house next door but it missed the house, the fence is an easy enough fix.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 02:00:44 AM »
08 posted his question in general discussion... it was just a question that needs to be answered...

Dave, I'll try to answer your question as layman as possible...

Example: In a manual 4-speed vehicle, The first gear has a specific gear ratio, the second has another and so on until fourth.  The driver is the one shifting the gears depending on his assessment of his driving condition. You cannot use the ratios between 1st and 2nd, between 2nd and 3rd because there are none. You are stuck with those specific ratios of the chosen gears.

In a scooter with continuously variable tranmisssion (CVT) You have all the "ratios" between lowest and highest. Like what it states "continuously variable"... And the rider doesnt have to manually shift because the cvt does this automatically depending on the load.  For purposes of discussion, it's like having a 1st gear, a 4th gear... and everything in between...

So, it's more of a multi-speed and not a single speed..

good to hear your boat's ok...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
Very few cars had them in the past... but these transmissions are VERY different than ones in scooters.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitronic
Mercedes A/B or Audi Ax or BMW Mini Cooper or ... not very different!
Of course the materials are stronger (6 cylinder TDi with 400Nm torque possible), the CVT is electronical controlled etc.
But the idea stays the same (patent owned by originator Daimler-Benz, not by license holder DAF!!!)

But several CVT like the Toyota HSD are really different from a conventional scooter CVT.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:05:07 AM by ts1 »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:25:59 AM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »
Glad to hear the boat may be okay....sorry to hear about the flooding in your house.  Hope you fare better with the next storm heading your way Wednesday-Thursday.  I know we are expecting a lot of rain from it hear in southern New England.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 01:49:56 AM »
  Dont forget the snowmobiles have cvt. also, A canuc in snow country,..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()