Poll

How to get this scoot running

new parts?
0 (0%)
Bit of Tlc
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Get it running!!  (Read 1405 times)

big goz

• View Profile
Get it running!!
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »
Hi i just brought a zx the otherday it was running on tick over and when to tried pull off it cut out and now wont start. the bike has been standing for a while and the guy i had it off just kicked it up everynow and again and left it on tickover. ive taken the carb off today and cleaned but all looks good but noticed when i put it back on there is no fuel coming through the hose ( well there is the tiniest trickle ) was wondering if was normal as not had alot to do with scooters but if not what could be the broblem?

you help is most welcome. ;D

skippy

• View Profile
Re: Get it running!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36:28 PM »
if old fuel ditch it. check tank for bits of dirt. check fuel filter/change if need to. take carb off clean with carb cleaner. take main jet out and blow through as i would think the main jet is blocked....
 if it idles then idle jet ok but when main jet kicks in and is blocked that may be the problem.

when you take the carb off is it full of fuel? if not then the fuel is not being sucked through.
 i ask this as there are lots of vacume hoses that suck fuel as the engine turns over. i had this in the past where i had broke a t pice of the air vacume hose and it would not draw fuel into the carb.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »
if old fuel ditch it. check tank for bits of dirt. check fuel filter/change if need to. take carb off clean with carb cleaner. take main jet out and blow through as i would think the main jet is blocked....
 if it idles then idle jet ok but when main jet kicks in and is blocked that may be the problem.

when you take the carb off is it full of fuel? if not then the fuel is not being sucked through.
 i ask this as there are lots of vacume hoses that suck fuel as the engine turns over. i had this in the past where i had broke a t pice of the air vacume hose and it would not draw fuel into the carb.

+1
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

big goz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
No there wasnt any fuel in the carb so how do i check the vacuem?

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
short answer is i dont know on the zx50 engine.

have a look on the cylinder head... there should be a slim black hose,that will then prob go to a t pice with 3 hoses. and follow them. sounds like one is blocked /broken/perished.

when the engine suckes in air/fuel on the piston stroke. it causes a vacume. this hose i mentioned to the cylinder head is used to suck fuel to the carb with the engine stroke.

check all hoses are in good working condition. even take them off blow down them. do one at a time so you remember where they go.

big goz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
ok Il give it a go and see whats what. ;D

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »
You said it sat for a while. Did you dump the old gas or just add to it? First things first dump and flush any old gas out. Check if the fuel tank is rusted in the bottom.

There are a number of problems you could be having. Vacuum lines come off the carb/intake not the head. There is two. One goes to an automatic valve(auto cock) on the bottom of the fuel tank. When vacuum is applied, the valve allows fuel to flow into the carb. Check both the fuel supply line and the vac line coming off that auto cock. Check both for leaks or clogs. Then pull the vac line and fuel supply line off the carb end. With fuel in the tank suck on the vac line(promise you won't get gas in your mouth  ;)). Fuel should flow out of the supply line when you suck on the vac line. If not the auto cock could be bad or clogged.

Depending on how bad the fuel was you may need to go through and clean/replace the entire fuel system. Lots of rust is bad. Severe rust in the tank and carb is very bad. If it's not too bad, Clean the tank and carb, then replace fuel lines, fuel filter, and that auto cock($25 or less). If there's no rust or deposits in the tank then you may be able to get away with just flushing the tank once or twice, blowing the lines out, and a good carb cleaning.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:38:20 PM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »
+1 on getting rid of bad gas.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()