Author Topic: My 1st crash of the winter.  (Read 2405 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
My 1st crash of the winter.
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »
Had my 1st wipe-out of the winter going to work on Monday morning when i hit some black ice on the road. Funny thing is my own street is quiet and had no ice on it but where i came off is a busier road and that had ice ?? Wasnt just a small patch either, the whole road was just a sheet of ice, i had bother getting up and pushing the scoot off the road cos it was so slippy!

No cars even bothered to stop and offer help, even tho when i got up i had 2 behind me that stopped cos i was laying in the road. Soon as i moved off the road they both drove round me and drove away, nice ???

More annoying is i was on my metal Vespa and not the plastic Kymco. Just spent the best part of a year restoring the Vespa from a wreck to a piece of art, now its a bit of art with scrapes along its side :(

Actually wasnt as bad as i imagined as i was sliding along the road beside it, busted brake lever, bust kickstart, bust indicator, and a couple other wee bits, scraped along rear panel, bash at base of legshield and bashed/bent front mudguard. Im not too happy as you can guess, i only just put 1000km's on it last week since the build..... Will get it fixed up in the next 2-3 wks hopefully then its going away to only ride on nice days. Bummer is i wasnt even going to go into work on Monday, but did, and i had planned to take the Vespa off the road for the winter in the next week or two. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

So anyway, watch out for that ice on the roads cos its a comin!!!

Chaos is my co-pilot.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
Re: My 1st crash of the winter.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
I'm so sorry. Makes me sick thinking about having to fix that. I don't even like my scoots to get dirty. That would drive me nuts until I got it fixed.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:40:08 PM »
Ouch...... sorry to see that..................

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:45:55 PM »
It is driving me nuts, i just want to ride it. Fact i only got 1000km on it before coming off makes it even worse  >:(

Snapped the kickstart lever off at the top so i need to fab up a temp one, no electric starter on it, then i can to ride it along to my paint guy for a quote to knock it out and respray it. Hoping around £150 will cover that plus £50-£100 for new parts i need to fit myself so wont be too bad financially, just pissed it happened tho. Its the Kymco now till spring apart from an occasional ride on the Vepsa if its a nice clear mild day.

Considering it slid along the road its not that bad, it held up well to it. Was prob doing around 30mph so wasnt going fast either, for once.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:52:07 PM »
Would love to have a classic metal scoot but I live about 300 meters from the Atlantic Ocean and anything metal rusts apart so fast. Those scratches would be rusty brown in just a few days.  Hope you don't find any other issues with your ride.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »
BUMMER !!! Glad you are ok though . Can you start it by pushing it and popping the clutch ? Good luck .

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »
BUMMER !!! Glad you are ok though . Can you start it by pushing it and popping the clutch ? Good luck .

Yeah juice it bump starts no problem on a small hill. I live at the bottom of a hill tho  :D. Thats how i got it home, after i straightened out the bars, seemed to ride fine so i think its just the cosmetic damage. Think i can fab up a temp fix on the kickstart till i get a new one thro the post. Meant to be wet tomorrow so i'll ride i down to the paintshop on Thursday prob.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 12:05:01 AM »
It's little consulation but your OK and that's what matters most. The rest will be time spent enjoying the refabrication of the scoot. (I hope)
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 12:07:18 AM »
Hi streido, That's too bad about your Vespa especially after a resto. Glad you are okay. Maybe it's time for studded tires!
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 01:51:50 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Wasp....I love a nice restored scooter and the pictures made me wince.  Hope she is back to perfect soon and glad to hear you are okay.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 03:29:39 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Vespa, but glad you're okay. I made the decision not to take my Yager to work tomorrow because of a coming storm and snow. Even on a car blackice is dangerous.

Leave a notch in the Vespa to mark your crash. Chicks dig scars, pain is temporary and pain is forever.

-Wolf

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:20:30 AM »
All those time restoring and wham!!! Sorry to hear...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »
Cheers guys. He'll be back looking perfect again soon. 3-4 weeks hopefully.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »
Sorry to see the damage on the bike, glad you're not hurt.  Wolf  and I are in the same area so no riding today and probably tomro.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()