Author Topic: Winter Riding - Safety Vs. Comfort  (Read 8934 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Winter Riding - Safety Vs. Comfort
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:24:18 PM »
Winter is approaching in the Northern Hemisphere. For those who enjoy riding all year round, or late into the season, what are some of your tactics?

With the colder riding months I often weigh the choice between comfort and safety. My current armored riding jacket is too light for cold weather, forcing me to switch to a heavy leather jacket that protects me against the wind and cold, but without the protection of armor on my spine, shoulders and elbows. I switch thiner riding gloves for heavier winter, giving me less then a confident/secure grip on the bars.

However, I've notices that discomfort compromises my safety. In the past when wearing thinner gloves and my riding jacket in the winter I quickly became fatigued by the cold, slowing my reaction time and awareness on the road. The answer is to buy an armored riding jacket for the winter months, but it's an added expense I'm not ready to purchase.

I'd like to hear others opinions on this subject.

- Wolf

fshfindr

• View Profile
Re: Winter Riding - Safety Vs. Comfort
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
Wolfman, you did it, you got your forum.  I use my Joe Rocket armored jacket in the winter or on rides with a group since those rides are usually longer.  I haven't used the liner yet but I could have used it yesterday.  I also switched to the battery powered gloves.  They do make gripping more difficult but not so difficult that I can't get to the brakes quickly.  In this cold weather I am more alert at intersections, I am conscious of the possibility of ice in the little gullies that are in most intersections.  I go thru them very straight and slowly.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 01:28:25 AM »
Here's what I've discovered: Thin layers of nice, fleecy, warm stuff next to the skin, and a breathable, wind- and waterproof outer shell, such as Horny Toadz. I just got mine, and have thus far ridden in 28F for an hour at 0-60mph, quite comfortably, with just a couple of fleece tops under the shell, and jeans under the pants.

Cutting the wind is the secret. Once you have that licked on the outermost layer, the inner layers of heat-trapping fleece or sweatshirt(s) will do their job amazingly well, and not restrict your movement, at all.

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:06:36 AM »
JP'

What gloves are you wearing ?

Do you have heated grips ?

KZ
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
Fleece Balaclava with Spandex Crown
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 02:28:26 AM »
This thing looks like a bit much - but hey if you're freezing, who cares ?

Fleece Balaclava with Spandex Crown

http://www.amazon.com/ZANheadgear-Fleece-Balaclava-Spandex-Crown/dp/B0012TYYKA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2RWJ5J5UFRWPV&coliid=I1K7ANFHNM21GH
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:06:46 PM by Zimmerman »
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:23:45 AM »
JP'

What gloves are you wearing ?

Do you have heated grips ?

No heated grips. I have a light pair of Bilt riding gloves, and will sometimes layer those with something like this. Even with gloves, layering is better. I have an expensive pair of Columbia ski gloves that are worthless, as the liner is not connected to the shell at all, and the liners get so wadded up that it's impossible to put the damned thangs on. Even at their best, when new, they only delayed the onset of total finger numbness.

When it gets really cold, I do the layered glove on the right hand, and the ski mitten on the left. The left hand never gets uncomfortably cold in Nashville weather, at least.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
To protect from cold wind, I prefer rain suits. I have overcoats from boot to gloves. Of course the sensitiveness is adversely affected with multiple layers, especially for the hands.
To dress appropiate is imho the easier parts of struggle against winter.
But without moving, just sitting,  you will get cold, sooner or later. Or you have professional arctic equipment (i.e. with heat exchange water from the engine).

And what do you do against darkness and (imho most difficult) slippery roads?

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »
Thanks for posting everyone, and I'm glad to see a building interest here. Also, thanks for all the links on winter riding gear. I'll begin gathering and post them as a reference collection into a separate thread for people to access and add to.

Layering is definitely the key, especially in the exposed areas of the wrist, neck and chin. I recently got a pair of balaclavas for my birthday last month -- great game changer. My morning rides are far better than last season. I looked at a pair of heated gloves, but I'm not there yet. My longest commute is around 20-30 minutes in the morning. So far so good with my hands staying warm with no-tech winter gloves. 

I've found hand warmers work, but if placed under the gloves they do little to keep the fingers warm which are the first to go numb on cold and windy days.

Richard, great tips on the intersections. I take the same approach any day after a rain or snow fall. Debris tends to spill out into intersections, as well as run off. If water melts or accumulates during day and freezes at night it's potential hazard the following
morning. This is especially true of you're riding on an unfamiliar road.

On four lane roads -- two going one way and two going the opposite -- if I'm traveling through a wooded area I tend to pick the left lane. Though this exposes me to on coming traffic in the opposing lane (especially if they cross the yellow line on a curve) I feel less subjected to any debris, water or ice that may have spilled onto the road on the right lane. I may wait a day or two if the weather warms before switching back to the right lane to ride in

Anyone have any experience with this? Such a tactic may vary depending on the CC of your bike and it's ability to ride with the flow of traffic ( is it fast enough to ride in the passing lane).

-Wolf

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 07:45:25 PM »
No personal experience, but imho that's a good idea.
In Europe we can't choose the lane, we have to stay right (GB: left) if not passing other vehicles.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 12:50:57 AM »
Does that apply to motorcycles, or just scooters? Ts -- you're welcomed to come to the States -- North America in general, and ride on the wild side.

For European riders, if you are regulated to the right lane is the practice of dividing the lane into three parts -- left, right and middle -- observed? If so, are there any tactics for dealing with bad weather and unusual road conditions?

-Wolf

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
Does that apply to motorcycles, or just scooters?
Any vehicle.
For European riders, if you are regulated to the right lane is the practice of dividing the lane into three parts -- left, right and middle -- observed?
3 lanes are quite rare in Germany. In that case the middle lane is assigned alternating to the right or left side - but only for passing. Never may both sides use the middle lane simultaneously.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »
I enjoy winter riding, as long as it is above freezing...we have way too much black ice with the moisture in the air here.  I wear a 3 season motorcycle jacket with liner, heavy riding gloves with thinsulate lining and wind pants.  These are literally used by sailors to keep moisture and wind out.  They work fantastic and fit well over my slacks or dress pants for work.  My boots are insulated as well.  I have not yet had to resort to a balacava, but being a year older, may give in this year.  My ride to work and back is about 20 minutes each way and this has worked well for me so far.  I still am able to move around and the gloves have patches on the palms and fingers to help grip the handles.  They aren't as flexible as my regular riding gloves, but are still breaking in.  My biggest worry is sand and wet leaves on the roads.  This makes even putting my feet down at stops hazardous.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 03:09:49 AM »
..i ride year round, in central North Carolina..day, night, rain, shine, sleet and even one 15 mile trip in a cpl inches of road snow (no more of that, please)..  

..the keys to riding in cold (28f)?? temps are...

1..LAYERS of close-fitting thermals or cotton, the idea being to retain body heat...layers do that..

2..SHELL the layers in a fashion that inhibits air passages to your skin...even small ones, like around the waist or wrists..

3..PROTECT the neck...in whatever fashion works for you..gotta be able to move, but still keep the wind off your throat..'specially on commutes of 10+ miles..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 03:11:26 AM »
..windproof, waterproof gloves are a MUST!!!!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 03:15:20 AM »
..full-faced helmet and a good balaclava....

..in colder temps, i wear a thin toboggan so it levels out just below my eyebrows....

..keeps cold air off my forehead....
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:16:58 AM by wordslinger »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()