Author Topic: Winter riding  (Read 6845 times)

axy

• View Profile
Re: Winter riding
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »
Well, I'm referring more to American stuff made in the U.S. of A.... which is not true anymore nowadays...

Even if I have lots of money... it's not that fun anymore knowing that even the most expensive stuff are made globally...

Well, military stuff seems to be made in USA, (general) stuff seems to be made in China while expensive stuff is made in Europe.  ;D
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 07:40:03 PM »
Great thread on winter riding.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
Well, military stuff seems to be made in USA, (general) stuff seems to be made in China while expensive stuff is made in Europe.  ;D

military that would be cool if they made a military looking scoot........

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »

You can get a CAMO print added to your scoot, aftermarket of course. They have old Army motor cycles on e-bay from time to time.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 10:07:22 PM »
Not only looking... "Vespa 150 TAP": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_150_TAP
Piaggio made several scoots primarily for the military, i.e. the TPH for paratroopers - and you can buy it.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 10:09:24 PM »
You can get a CAMO print added to your scoot, aftermarket of course. They have old Army motor cycles on e-bay from time to time.
[/quote

Ill just paint it army green with a few stars. and write U.S.A ON IT................

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 12:42:19 AM »
Jason Hancock of scootnashville.com interviewed me, yesterday, on winter riding.

http://www.scootnashville.com/archives/1454

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 01:24:44 AM »
Well, military stuff seems to be made in USA, (general)

Yes, because it's a Federal Law....

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 02:18:28 AM »
Jason Hancock of scootnashville.com interviewed me, yesterday, on winter riding.

Nice little interview.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »

Why do you still keep two relatively similar scoots?

I just found out now that PCX was the bestseller in Europe in 2011. (23.000 sold units).
This is interesting because I saw none where I live.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 07:52:57 PM »
Why do you still keep two relatively similar scoots?

I just found out now that PCX was the bestseller in Europe in 2011. (23.000 sold units).
This is interesting because I saw none where I live.

for parts man for parts..........

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
My actual "winter ride", although not really in winter times:

Alarm rings late at 05:15, because I can't shift my normal daily rhythm far. Quick breakfast, departure 06:00.
Dense fog in Ludwigshafen, it's raining lightly out of the fog. Because I already was sweating when dressing with the warm clothes, I can't close the visor without glasses and visor beeing mist up. Of course with open visor my glasses receive some humidity and dirt, need regular wiping.
First saving some miles through Mannheim and at Viernheim merging onto the Autobahn. Here the fog is already lighter, my thermal equilibrium sets in and I can now continue with closed visor.
I'm soon passing Frankfurt, the weather becames better, I can see the skyscrapers of Deutsche Bank & Co. Near Giessen it begins to dawn.
In the mountains near Kirchheim it is slightly foggy and cold. Hoar frost on the vegetation. I feel a little bit nervous because I do not know if the highway is slippery. There have been several pile-ups due to freezing fog the last days.
At the rest stop Hasselberg I refuel and choke down a few mouthful. I'm making good progress. But the road is still long.
At Göttingen the sun occasionally comes through the fog. At Salzgitter again ground fog and hoar frost.
At Braunschweig I have to decide whether I want to follow the highway around Berlin or head to Wolfsburg and then drive rural road. Despite the moderate weather with current light fog I opt for the rural road, because until now I've made good progress.
After leaving the highway at Wolfsburg I look for the local gas station. But the local Raiffeisen gas station wasn't signposted well and has just super and diesel at high prices. I should have bypassed this one and preferred the next station, remembering for my way back.
Soon behind Brome I passes the former border zone. Only a sign in the forest recalls the time 23 years ago, not a border strip, nothing obvious. I was surprised and already behind. But then I didn't want to stop, return and take pictures as there was still a long way to go.
I was proceeding smoothly, long straights, sparsely populated, ordinary asphalt, no speed limit harassment. I like traffic in Saxony-Anhalt.
Crossing the river Elbe at Wittenberg, because there is a bridge and not only ferry.
On my card set from 1999, there is not much rely on, many bypass roads and highways have been rebuilt.
I found my way through diagonally to northeast, my preplanned Google Maps abbreviations covered miles of cobbled straights, miles of speed limits 30 and 40kph on asphalt roads that are just a bit narrow. I don't really like this, especially on a bike.
I see castles and bunkers, but hurry over, always driven by the long way to go and the approaching darkness.
At Waren an der Müritz I catch some sun rays and see the ships of the White Fleet. Just here, where I was scared of fog holes due to many lakes.
Funny the small number signs on the trees lining the streets and the many "otter crossing" wild warnings. But soon the fog has got me again.
Near Anklam my old GPS claims to be 23m (!) below sea level.
Twilight begins. The lift bridge to the island Usedom is open. There is suddenly a lot of forest. A fox crosses my path and misses my front wheel.
The border to Poland is nearly deserted, no officers, no tourists. A few signs, cobblestone pavement even on the most important urban roads, that's it.
Total Time 10:30 hours:minutes.
After seeking accomodation (31.50 € for 2 days including breakfast) I turn on the heater in the very cold house and see my wife and 2 children in the nearby clinic and go with them for dinner.

After breakfast I use the daylight to visit the center of Swinoujscie. Weather unfortunately still cloudy.
As seen from Russian films, fishing seems to be one of the most favorite pastimes. The whole wharf is full of thick hooded anglers and they occasionally catch a 20cm-long fish.
But actually, there's nothing spectacular here. Harbor ship tours, horse-drawn carriages, a few gift shops, that's it.
My few photos also boring too, turbidity everywhere.
The rest of the day belongs to my family again.
From afternoon to evening rain. That can be fun tomorrow ...

In the middle of the night I woke up briefly, saw stars and become optimistic for tomorrows weather.
At early dawn, I visited the beach, the sand is frozen and breaking under my feet. But I can already see how the fog is tightening again.
After breakfast return on the same way. My butt is soon cold, thawing countless ice pieces in the small depenings of my seat bench.
The fog becomes very nastingly now, the visibility falls below 50m, temperature is -2°C, soon ice from the freezing fog covers gloves, visor, windshield, etc.
I have to wipe the visor again and again, open and close to vent my glasses without polluting them too much.
Riding in a convoy soon, because overtaking on the single lane streets would be Russian roulette.
Behind Anklam I get lost in the fog, as I noticed some kilometres later. Where I could read the street signs, I would have remained on the dangerous street. I couldn't see my GPS exactly while trying to stay on the road, and only the general direction was not exact enough. But my old GPS can do just straight line navigation anyway.
In the fog the dark trunks of street trees can be seen much better than the street posts.
After 100km the fog lifts and the temperature seems timid again, above the freezing point. Ice is melting, I can go 80kph once again.
When a portion of ice dismantles from the wind shield, I'm happy to have my visor closed at this moment.
But from Müritz on, where I was hoping for better weather due to good experience, the fog comes again, but fortunately the visibility remains at about 100m.
From Meyenburg to Perleberg it's almost sunny and 5°C warm, the best weather of the whole trip.
Here I took the best picture too.
South of the Elbe again light fog or overcast.
At the old border I stopped briefly and took a picture, but again it's all grey in grey.
At Wolfsburg, I'm already tired, the fog ride had taken concentration and strength away.
Now only a few hundred miles to go ...
After 11:15 hours:minutes I'm back home.

Total 1731.2 km and 77.1 litres for my reliable gas guzzler. Nearly concentrating on 2 days with >800km/500miles each.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
Yes, because it's a Federal Law....
Berets made in China.  Very Embarrassing
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 12:24:33 AM »
Ts1,

That's quite a trip ! What scooter do you ride.

When I was in Berlin the wall was still up.
I think that was 1989.
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 01:18:32 AM »
ts1,
What a wonderful read! I really enjoyed your descriptive style of writing. I was there with you for the whole journey. It took a lot of guts to do what you did in the fog and strange landscape. It must have also taken an ass of steel to have had such an extended ride on cobblestone streets. Thanks for providing us with an indepth narrative of your extrodinary trip.
Mike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()