Author Topic: Cold starts/ weak battery?  (Read 3318 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Cold starts/ weak battery?
« on: November 16, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »
OK my 2009 peoples 200 which has a 15 month old batt. tends to skip a beat when tying to cold start.

Background: I get home at night and plug up to the charger, the green light on the uit flashes which means the batt is 80% or more charged, the next afternoon when I'm getting ready for work the light is steady green and the scoot turns over strong and starts on the very first press of the start button.

I ride my 6 miles to work in about 15 minutes with traffic, park the scoot on the street, she sits for 8 hours in an avg. temp of 40 degrees F. sometimes a few degrees less. I turn the key, press the start button and the starter seems to skip a beat or has hesitation before it turns over strong enough to start and the battery sounds weak in doing so.

After my 10-15 minute ride home I plug her in and the indicator shows the batt. is at least 80% charged.

So what do I do, is this normal and something I'll have to live with, do I get a new battery, carry a spare under the seat? The terminals are clean and tight so it's not a connection problem.

your thoughts on the problem if there is one.

Thanks!
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Cold starts/ weak battery?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »
Sounds like it could be the cold. I recently purchased a new battery, but been having some hesitations starting in the morning. You may want to check your distilled water levels on your battery.

-Wolf

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 01:46:09 PM »
Its not normal to have to plug it in to recharge overnight. I would run it for the week and see how it starts towards the end of the week without any recharging from the tender. When cold they do take more power to crank over and mine does sometimes do the skio a beat thing from time to time if its frosty etc.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 01:59:48 PM »
Nothinling to worry about its just the cold. this is when the kick start is better. im thinking of wraping my engine with heat tape. But that dont do me any good when I get out of work the scoot well be cold any ways. unless I plug it in some were at work.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »
If your battery is the original (2009) then it is probably suffering from old age.
I would buy a new battery if you plan to ride this winter and don't want to keep worrying about the scooter starting.

Look on-line for Scorpion AGM batteries at http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/kymco/
or
Motobatt batteries at  http://www.impactbattery.com/batteries/motor-scooters/kymco/200cc/

AGM batteries ship via USPS and are ready to go.  

Both companies are good to deal with.

Happy Thanksgiving,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
 A battery has less power when cold. That's why they spec cold cranking amps.
It's telling you it's loosing capacity so you might want to think about a new one
soon. You could put lighter oil in the scoot to help it crank easier. Some vehicles
are marginal and can use the help.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »
If your battery is the original (2009) then it is probably suffering from old age.
I would buy a new battery if you plan to ride this winter and don't want to keep worrying about the scooter starting.

Look on-line for Scorpion AGM batteries at http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/kymco/
or
Motobatt batteries at  http://www.impactbattery.com/batteries/motor-scooters/kymco/200cc/

AGM batteries ship via USPS and are ready to go.  

Both companies are good to deal with.

Mary K is correct. Sounds like you need a new battery. Scorpion & Motobatt are excellent choices. Yuasa is teh standard in the industry, if you can find a Yuasa for a little more money, then do it.

Also...I "always" keep my battery charged on my Deltran battery Tender Jr. when not in use. If it's taking more then 15 minutes to have a complete soild Green light, it's the battery.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »
08087: The Kymco People S200 (which I owned @ one point & loved it!) uses a YTX7A-BS battery type. Here is your exact battery you'll need (Scorpion Brand)

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTX7A-BS.html

$43.00 with Free USPS Priority shipping. Soild battery, excellent price. A Yuasa will run you $60.00+ dollars.

Good Luck!

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »
Thanks all, I'll try and comment to everyones post here.

The batt is not the original one, the first owner changed it out after 9 months as it kept dieing on him.
I'd never make it 1 full week without the tender during cold weather (at least that's how I feel).
Thanks for the info on new batt's, I think I'd better pick one up to be on the safe side.
The kick start??? I have one but have never been able to use it and get her going, if you care to share your method I will certainly give it a go, I'd love that back up plan as an option.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »
I have owned four Kymco scooters. All....I have kept on a float charge via the Deltran pigtail when not in use. I have gotten 5+ years out of some batteries. Kymco's stock battery is a soild AGM. Go ahead & purchase the Scorpion battery that I provided a link with. It's a soild battery & it's semi-inexpensive.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 02:26:59 AM »
A battery looses it's "agility" when cold... I have a new battery but this cold season makes it less agile...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 02:36:28 AM »
its also good to try to insalate your gas line some how when cold.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
Hi Blue,

I have not heard of insulating the gas lines from the cold... why ?

I could see insulating them to keep them from getting too hot from the engine heat.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:25:27 PM »
Hi Blue,

I have not heard of insulating the gas lines from the cold... why ?

I could see insulating them to keep them from getting too hot from the engine heat.

Scoot safely,

just a idea not sure if ill try it or not I did last winter and my bike ran good all year.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 10:05:10 PM »
Sounds like its getting weak and in need of replacement, dun dun dun.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()