Author Topic: 72cc BBK  (Read 13512 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: 72cc BBK
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »
..any 50cc 4t that i've seen with a 70+cc upgrade craved a pipe and free flow air....

..the oem exhaust is too restrictive...

..gotta have more air to make it work...

..after that, plan on changing every component of your oem cvt, because it wont work either...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

JC

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 02:31:07 AM »
Little update, I've talked to 4 suppliers and researched them too. Scootertronics is a scam artist so I won't be ordering from him again. Bad comments/reviews (google). Monsterscooterparts uses a Chinese kit which may be ok but I'm going Taiwanese. I looked for a 72cc kit from Taida with no luck. Enviromoto sells the same kit as monster (with head) for the same price. He also carries the NCY cylinder kits in 72,80,85 and I talked with him for 15 min today about testing with and without a head. He said the head isn't necessary with the 72 kit because there is no change in the valves. He dyno tested it and came up with a compression of 9:1. NCY is made in Taiwan and I've seen better quality parts but I trust it MUCH more than any Chinese kit. So I'll be going with the NCY 72cc kit with no head for now. I'll run that by itself then probably add a cam if it runs well.
On a side note I also researched the malossi vs polini variator and I got the polini over malossi both times. I also ran a polini in my Ruckus when it was stock and it was better than the malossi for the Ruckus too.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »

NCY is OK.

With a 72cc I can recommend the NCY T2 camshaft.... You'll love it, but first try the 72cc on its own, the difference is interesting..

By the way, in my experience, it's better to go for the 85cc. Without the camshaft, it doesn't cost much more than the 72cc plus camshaft, and performs about the same or even a bit better... The difference is that you can go another step faster by adding the camshaft later on, while with the 72cc, you're stuck at a lower level...

And, if cash is a limiting factor, it's better spent on a good BBK and torquedrive than on a smaller/cheaper BBK and variator...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 12:37:45 PM »
Scootertronics is a scam artist so I won't be ordering from him again

...that is so true, and something i learned a cpl years ago for myself...

JC

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
Mono, I thought about it and have chosen to stay with the smaller bore for a few reasons. First my a50 is my daily driver. I need this thing to have more punch but not be a complete monster and beat the bag out of my engine. I understand I'm taking a risk by modifying it at all but I believe this will be a little easier on the engine. 2nd, while $ isn'tthe end all be all, I'm trying to keep it reasonable and I'm also rebuilding my ruckus witha 180cc engine if I want to go beastly fast. If I did an 80 or 85 bbk I would have to buy the matching head to really get the bigger bore to perform like it should. That being said if I was to get a bigger bore it would be even better quality than the Taiwanese NCY, I would buy Taida, the best. BIG $$$$$. Last, if I buy a bigger bore kit I'd want to go full tilt with performance options, exhaust, pod filter, sticky tires, carb, clutch, crank, upgears, etc. I'm just looking to fill a small void my bike has now. I want the stock airbox, I want to keep the carb and exhaust stock for now.
Which setup do you have now? Btw, I have an aftermarket torque diver already and a naraku variator. BBK aside, the variator and clutch are the most important mods to do even before a bbk, carb, cam, exhaust, etc. Just my opinion. All comments and pointers welcome.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 09:28:46 PM »

Well, if you already own a 180cc Ruckus, and just need a bit of an upgrade for the Agility as a reliable daily driver, I think it's fine to go with the 72cc indeed... With a decent kit, this will still be a very reliable setup, but it will be a lot easier to keep up with traffic, especially when you add a T2 camshaft for a bit of extra punch towards the top end...

I'm very pleased with my 85cc+T2 setup on the 12" A50 nowadays, but it's a bit early to tell whether it's as reliable as the 72cc setup on my 10" A50, which lasts for quite a while already and still shows no signs of wear...

My scoots both run the stock variator and belt + NCY and Malossi torquedrives + slightly modified stock airbox + stock exhaust + Bridgestone ML50 sticky tyres...  Roller weights on the 10"/72cc are chosen for maximum power, but for the 12"/85cc I went for a lower revving setup, since it has power to spare and I like the deep sound  8)

I've been disappointed by some variators other than stock, and I also don't like the idea of noisy dry-weather-only open air filters and flaky/noisy/way-too-shiny performance exhausts...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 01:19:20 AM »
..try a malossi multivar...

...guarantee you will love it!!

;D

JC

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »
Well, if you already own a 180cc Ruckus, and just need a bit of an upgrade for the Agility as a reliable daily driver, I think it's fine to go with the 72cc indeed... With a decent kit, this will still be a very reliable setup, but it will be a lot easier to keep up with traffic, especially when you add a T2 camshaft for a bit of extra punch towards the top end...

I'm very pleased with my 85cc+T2 setup on the 12" A50 nowadays, but it's a bit early to tell whether it's as reliable as the 72cc setup on my 10" A50, which lasts for quite a while already and still shows no signs of wear...

My scoots both run the stock variator and belt + NCY and Malossi torquedrives + slightly modified stock airbox + stock exhaust + Bridgestone ML50 sticky tyres...  Roller weights on the 10"/72cc are chosen for maximum power, but for the 12"/85cc I went for a lower revving setup, since it has power to spare and I like the deep sound  8)

I've been disappointed by some variators other than stock, and I also don't like the idea of noisy dry-weather-only open air filters and flaky/noisy/way-too-shiny performance exhausts...

Can you see a noticeable difference in the malossi vs ncy torque driver? I know there is a BIG price difference $170 vs$33.

JC

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »
..try a malossi multivar...

...guarantee you will love it!!

;D

I was about to order the malossi but I've gotten 2 responses from dealers saying the polini is better for my application. And I know they're not bullsh**ting me because the malossi is more expensive LOL

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 07:04:22 AM »
Can you see a noticeable difference in the malossi vs ncy torque driver? I know there is a BIG price difference $170 vs$33.

There are some differences when you study them close enough, the NCY has a tiny bit more play than the Malossi, but on the other hand it gives a choice between two distinct settings for the guide track angle, while the two settings on the Malossi only have a very subtle difference...

In practice they're both good, and with both of them setup at the smallest angle of the two available (for the most constant rpm), I really can't tell the difference...

By the way, I've paid about €30,- for each of them... Sometimes they do get their pricing wrong, maybe I was lucky  8)

JC

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
I figured there had to be a glitch. On the malossi vs polini, I've searched on this subject and it seems everyone on here has the malossi and no polini reviews so I'm gonna take one for the team. If I don't see results than its an $80 backup variator :D

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 11:16:39 PM »
Ive ran the Polini and the Malossi, the polini is better for top end speed and the Malossi is great over all. I run the Malossi on my full Malossi build for fun and polini on the other 2 zx50s I own.
The ramp plate for the malossi is much better than the polini ramp plate also, so I would use Malossi ramps for polini variators if I could, instead I use SEF ramps on my polinis and its comparable to the Malossi ramp I only run them because theyre a little cheaper than the Malossi ramps.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »
..i never ran a polini variator..but they have gotten good reviews...

..and i totally agree about the malossi ramp...often over-looked, is that obscure component...

..i run malossi ramp plates even in my oem variators...

JC

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »
..i never ran a polini variator..but they have gotten good reviews...

..and i totally agree about the malossi ramp...often over-looked, is that obscure component...

..i run malossi ramp plates even in my oem variators...

I see a pattern with you changing my mind ;) I guess for my application the malossi would be better. I'm looking for best thru the gears with more top end than the naraku.

LoveMyKymco, is there a REALLY noticeable difference in the way it works thru the gears?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 01:19:39 AM »
...lol..i saw that...

..jc, we all had good and bad experiences with even the same makers of bits...

..malossi, polini, dr pulley, gates, oem...

..ive NOT had good (over-all) experiences with some names tho...NCY, Naraku, Kenda, emco, scootertronics...

:o

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()